+ Reply
PICC Line Cover Recommendations?
sylviang
3 Posts
Hi all, does anybody here have recommendations for PICC line covers? From what I've been reading, it sounds like having something made out of antibacterial fabric seems important? I'm seeing a lot of sellers on Etsy, does anybody have a go-to place?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'm a breast cancer survivor but didn't need a PICC line, so looking for this info to help a friend.
12 Replies
ACH2015
2007 Posts
I had a PICC line sylviang‍ during my chemo treatments. I used the cover supplied by the nurses in the chemo unit and it was replaced by the home care nurse when the line was flushed. It was basically a (fishnet type) sleeve bandage that slid over the line, access port and sterile dressing. Some cancer sites also have hand knitted sleeves offered for free at the chemo sites.

The important thing is that the sterile dressing remains intact where the line is inserted into the vein. What you cover it with afterward is up to the individual to keep the exposed parts from snagging.

Hope this helps.

ACH2015
daisy1092
5 Posts
I use my odd socks that never find a match, cut the toe part off and stays in place a lot better than the mesh they give you
sylviang
3 Posts
Thanks, this is helpful! Do you shower with it too? Or do you take it off? Wondering if my friend would need 2, one to stay dry?
sylviang
3 Posts
Wow, would not have thought of socks! Thanks for the tip. Guess that was underneath clothing? Did you ever need something nicer to wear outside?
ACH2015
2007 Posts
sylviang

You can't get the picc line or sterile dressing wet at all. I used a product made by Glad called Press and Seal. You must wrap it around the picc line above and belowyour arm. Best to have someone do it for you, then keep your arm out of the shower as much as possible. Best to have help removing the wrap after you shower as well.

Tricks of the trade. Hope it helps.

ACH2015
Outdoorgal
2 Posts
If you are looking for a pic cover to wear in the shower I purchased this one:
PICC Line Shower Cover Waterproof PICC Line Protector for Shower Adult, Shower Bandage and Cast Protector for Chemotherapy Rehttps://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PR1ZB2B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_DSPQP5MKKPB50S8WX8SS.
This kept everything dry and I thought the price to be very reasonable. It lasted me my six months of chemotherapy. I needed help to put it on the first few times but was able to easily put it on myself after a few times. Delivery was very fast too. It was so nice to be able to shower with out too much prep and no worries.
daisy1092
5 Posts
Right now under my clothing, hopefully with coloured socks to match t-shirts, looking at using coloured tensor bandages, you can't get it wet and with me showering is a challenge as I have a nephrostomy tube to save my right kidney so I only have half showers, I would also like tips now that the weather is getting warmer
Nix
79 Posts
Hi sylviang‍ - I had a PICC line for 6.5 months and I used covers from a company called AYA on etsy. They are listed as in New York but they are actually in Oakville, ON. I liked that they are Canadian, have a program where they donate covers to hospitals for patients and will do custom size orders. I had 3 covers that I cycled through for the 6+ months and they all stood up amazingly well. The shop link is https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/AyaCovers?ref=yr_purchases

For showering I bought a cast cover off Amazon.

In addition, after the fact I learned about a company called Care+Wear, they make PICC line covers for daily wear as well as shower covers. From what I have seen they seem like a good company that is interested in providing products to make life with chronic illness and/or cancer treatment more manageable. Some of the cancer warriors I follow on Instagram have their covers and rave about them. Their link is: https://www.careandwear.com/collections/picc-line-cover
Nix
79 Posts
Ooh, I just looked at Outdoorgal‍’s link. That’s like I used too. Worked like a charm and way better than plastic wrap! I had to use plastic wrap for a couple showers before my cover came and it was a pain.
Nix
79 Posts
daisy1092‍ The company I linked, AYA, has a ton of colours including skin tones. Two of mine matched my skin tone so they blended in quite well.
qhmach
6 Posts
I wear arm sleeves to cover the PICC line and it works well. I had a bunch from biking and from other sports activities. With various brands, I find that the Under Armour arm sleeves are the most comfortable and they have a nice material. I like the Under Armour heatgear sleeve over the ones that are provided. Since the PICC line is covered and is ok I like to use it as a cover. There are a lot of different brands out there, but from all the ones I have, the Under Armour is most comfortable
Wenniki
3 Posts
My friend bought me this one and I absolutely love it!

https://mighty-well.com/products/picc-line-cover-piccperfect-mighty-well

At the time, I thought it was too expensive (especially the shipping!), but after three months of wearing it non-stop, I would have made the investment myself.

I also got the waterproof cover from Amazon and I would highly recommend it. I’ve had it for three months and it still works perfectly.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07PR1ZB2B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_KMZKMX2RC5KYGD6GXWWH

+ Reply