+ Reply
Losing a Mother to cancer in your mid 20s
Myrobin
1 Posts

Hello, I am new here and not yet ready for much of my Mom yet, but I am reaching out for any advice regarding the loss of a parent to cancer. I am 26, she was 56 at her passing, and unfortunately, her journey with cancer in the hospital was quick and painful, and I was there for it all. Her official diagnosis is still unknown to me as she wasn't correctly diagnosed with what form of cancer it was until long after her death (Eventually, I will get to the point of looking into that but approaching the hosptial seems too hard right now)

7 Replies
Brighty
8591 Posts

@Myrobin i'm so sorry for your loss and the trauma you went through with your mom. Losing a parent is one of the most painful experiences one can go through. Grief can show up in so many different ways………and sometimes you just have to let yourself feel your grief in order to get through it . I haven't lost a parent, but lost my fiance to this miserable disease. I found having a support system very valuable……….a grief support group to be very helpful for me. They helped me cope with the trama and all the feelings of guilt and anger that were lingering inside me. They actually have special grief support groups especially for young people who lose a parent. The cancer info line may be able to give you more information about that. the number is 1888 939 3333. We also have a group on the site called “coping with grief”. We do have a few young folks on here who lost a parent, and a few names come to mind . I'm going to introduce you to @Beehime. (having trouble tagging) @beehime . and @Naj97 who both lost their moms to cancer. They may be able to give you tips on how they are coping . Thank you so much ladies. Hope you can all connect with each other and support one another. Thank you for reaching out…………i'm sure others will be along too to let you know how they have coped and what they did to get through.

Whitelilies
2536 Posts

@Myrobin Hello and welcome from AB! So glad you reached out to us.

I am sorry to hear of the loss of your Mother in June…..so recent…..so difficult……on you, and your family.

I will include a link below “Coping with Grief”…..please have a look/perhaps join in…..share what you feel; and soon others will too……you may find it helpful.

Sending strength your way……

Welcome Again

Whitelilies

#welcome #lossofparent

Browse Groups

Coping with Grief

Grief is something that we all experience at some point in our lives, yet it is rarely talked about.This is a group for people who have experienced the passing of a loved one to cancer to come together, share stories, vent, and support each...

Sadie12
227 Posts

@Myrobin
I am so very sorry that you have lost your mom. I lost my mom at 25, she was 55 (her death was sudden not from cancer). However, I can understand how hard it is to lose your young mom at this time in your life.

It takes time to absorb the shock, time to grieve and time to heal (yes, you will heal from the pain you are feeling even though you continue to love her and miss her). Don't underestimate your feelings or try the whole ‘chin up’ approach. Take the time you need, get support in terms of grief counselling, share your feelings with someone you trust.

I am glad that you reached out to this group. Wishing you comfort.

Sadie

@Myrobin

Very sorry for your loss. I lost my dad to cancer when I was 30 and he was 56 , 6 months after he was diagnosed. That was a lot of years ago and while it is significantly easier than in those first few years, it can still bring me to tears at the drop of a hat. I think that speaks to just how special he was and how much love we had for each other.

All the firsts that she will miss now, like birthdays, holidays etc can be very difficult and I would say be aware of that as they approach. Even to this day, all these years later, as we near the anniversary of his death, I get meloncholy, moody etc and then it hits me why. My body is keeping track even if my mind doesn't always remember.

Be easy on yourself as you grieve and know that we are here to support you as best we can. If you find you are struggling, perhaps professional counseling might be a route at some point.

Take care

Lianne

lke92
9 Posts

@Myrobin

Good Morning,

I saw this thread pop up and I had to respond. Please know that you are not alone in feeling this deep sadness. I am 30 years old and currently watching my 62 year old dad suffer through terminal cancer of the liver. Every day is something new and every day seems to get harder. I am here if you ever just want to chat or want someone to listen!

pal
8 Posts
HI I AM LOSING MY SON WITH LIVER CANCER WHO IS ONLY 41. hOW IS YOUR DAD AND WHAT STAGE HE IS ON. PAL PLEASE ANSWER
ACH2015
2437 Posts

@pal I saw your post and I am tagging @lke92 for you, so they can see your post and hopefully reply. I am sorry to hear of your son's situation. Thoughts and prayers to you both.

ACH2015

+ Reply