+ Reply
Daughter with breast cancer
DS51
3 Posts

Want to talk with someone who is going through this with their daughter. I am not coping very well.

6 Replies
JustJan
1031 Posts

@DS51 I am sorry to hear about your daughter’s diagnosis. I’m sure this is very difficult as a mother to deal with. At my cancer centre there are social worker resources that are available, not just for the patients but for their loved ones as well. if you’re interested in this, I think you just have to speak to someone at the centre to find out how to make an appointment.

I know you’re struggling, but how is your daughter doing? Where is she in her treatment? Do you have any specific question we might be able to help you with?

Know we are here to listen and support you.

DS51
3 Posts

Where is your cancer centre? How can I access support or someone to talk to

Whitelilies
1475 Posts

@DS51 Hello……I am sorry to hear of your daughter's diagnosis….you asked how to get further support? Please reach the main switchboard, of your daughter's attending hospital….if it is a clinic; same thing……if possible, you can google their website….and under a title, such as “Supports and Services"….have a look…there you will hopefully see/find social worker….volunteer support….peer support…..Psychology Dept and more……if not; perhaps call her doctor…and speak to his office staff/secretary…and ask for contacts, name and numbers, to help support you, and your daughter….

I reached out to the Psychiatrist/Oncology Dept, in my hospital (Toronto). She was kind and pleasant and very helpful.

Let us know, if you were given some good resources.

Warmly,

Whitelilies

Runner Girl
2135 Posts

@DS51

You could try calling the cancer information help line at 1-888-939-3333.

Have you looked up the phone numbers at your daughters cancer centre? Do they have anyone you can call and talk to?

Runner Girl

brittanyc
16 Posts

Hi @DS51 ,
I’m sorry for your reason to reach out to the community but I am so glad that you did. This community is full of people to lean on and learn with. Like @JustJan said, we are here for you. Please keep leaning on us!

To find out where your cancer centre is, try giving the Cancer Information Helpline a call. They can help you not only find the centre, but give you information on the types of support offered by the centre, too. The Cancer Information Helpline can be reached at 1-888-939-3333 – and it’s staffed by real people.
The Canadian Cancer Society has a page on coping with emotions that you might find helpful as well.

Allow me to tag @Trillium, who's son had cancer and might be able to share some of her experiences with you.

Take good care,
Brittany

Trillium
1568 Posts

Thank you for the tag @brittanyc

Hello @DS51 - Sorry you have to go through this with your daughter. You have found a wonderful support community with many people who can share there direct experiences with breast cancer for both you and your daughter.

My son had stage 3 testicular cancer at the beginning of the Covid-19 pandemic. It was one of the most difficult things for us both to go through.

Look under the forums section for the two caregiver forums to find some good resources.

Do you have support from family or friends? Tell us more or feel free to send me a private message if you feel up to it. Once we got to the cancer centre we were very well taken care of by the oncology team.

Warm hugs

Trillium

+ Reply