+ Reply
Anniversary
Jeff75
15 Posts

Hi All. Hoping to get some thoughts on this. My mom passed away in April. My father (almost 80) has been doing a bit better the last few weeks compared to the first two months or so. This coming Sunday would have been their anniversary. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how to approach the day as I can only assume its going to be a rough day for him. Thanks

6 Replies
Brighty
7040 Posts
Hi Jeff75‍ you can approach him and ask him what he feels up to doing. Perhaps having a favorite meal your mom used to love in her her honour or her favourite piece of cake. Maybe exchanging stories or good memories if he feels up to it.
Hazewind
70 Posts

I had various old 8mm home movies which we had played on screen in front of our Mom and Dad brother and sister and their spouses and kids and rerecorded the movies and all the comments and family watching onto an updated 8mm audio/video recorder. We were all together for Thanksgiving. Turned out amazing. Then made copies for everyone.

Might be too much emotion to handle for him. But you get the idea. In your case, you can focus on just your mom and him or a collage of photos of them together from your own picture collection.

S2020
348 Posts
Jeff75‍, I have no suggestions to add to the lovely ideas posted by Brighty‍ and Hazewind‍, but I wanted to say that caring thoughts are being sent your way for you and your father as you go through today.
Brighty
7040 Posts
Just wondering how you and your dad got through the day Jeff75‍ .
Jeff75
15 Posts
Thanks for checking in. We spent most of the day together but didn't really talk all that much about the day. To be honest I'm not sure either of us are really ready. some close family friends had invited him for a barbecue in the evening so I think that was a good distraction for him.
Brighty
7040 Posts
Glad you spent the day together Jeff75‍ . It's ok that you weren't ready. . Its still very fresh. I'm glad to hear your dad spent the evening with friends and was not alone. Keep in touch Jeff.
+ Reply