Every physical ailment is now suspect

Every physical ailment is now suspect

Posted by Princess Sela on May 9, 2020 9:14 am

Are others like me?  Every time something affects me physically I think is it cancer back somewhere new? I start chemo Monday.  Yesterday I woke with a sore mouth under my tongue which could be a canker but my mind instantly goes to cancer.   My throat is sore so there is some draining.  What prevents chemo from taking place?  Please, anyone who has experienced this fear, please comment.

Re: Every physical ailment is now suspect

Posted by Tilly59 on May 10, 2020 12:39 pm

I have felt this a number of times.  I was diagnosed with stage 4 uterine cancer about two years ago.  I had a full hysterectomy in January 2018, followed by 6 chemo and 25 radiation treatments.  I started to have bowel problems shortly after and they continue today.  I was certain that it was the cancer returned, but the tests showed it wasn't cancer.  It was probably the after effects of the radiation.  Right now, I have a whole bunch of red splotches on my face.  My family doctor has so far tried two different medications, including an antibiotic, which does not seem to be helping.  I, of course, am nervous  that it is skin cancer.  I have one more thing to try, and then if it doesn't  work, I will ask for a biopsy.  So the short answer is Yes.  Most people with cancer have the same fears as you do.  Just try to use common sense, and if you really are very fearful, call the doctor.  You will  be alright.

Take care.

Tilly.

Re: Every physical ailment is now suspect

Posted by cancertakesflight on May 10, 2020 3:43 pm

Tilly59‍ I understand how you feel. I just celebrated my 9th year since being diagnosed with cancer and I would be lying if I said I didn't think about it coming back. I had one breast removed and, since chemo, my right breast doesn't feel the same as it did before. It feels lumpy but it's not cancer. It just drives me crazy. Everytime I check my remaining breast I wonder if it is a cancerous lump.

For me, cancer is like falling down the stairs. Once you've fallen once, you don't take going the stairs for granted. Every once in a while you may think about falling again. You may trip. You may lose your balance for a second. You may be carrying something a little awkwardly. You may wonder each time if you are going to fall. This thought is just common sense as Princess Sela‍ said; however, just because there are signs that you could fall does not mean that you will.

The more times you successful go down the stairs, the less likely it will be that you will think about it until the next time you stumble and the memory of that first fall comes rushing back.

Being aware and vigilant is good. Being unable to enjoy the life you have because of that fear could be problematic. But, based on what you have said,  it sounds like you are in control of the fear. The fear does not control you. 

Take care and be kind to yourself.

cancertakesflight 
Laughter is a lifestyle choice. www.laughterandcancer.com/blog