Let's Discuss...Relay At Home!

Let's Discuss...Relay At Home!

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 7, 2020 9:29 am

Please Join us!

3d6a73a2654c91d064956062ca632dd3-huge-re

COVID-19 has affected us all, changing our world in unprecedented ways. During these times, we remain committed to physical distancing to protect the health of all Canadians. And while we're not able to turn to our Relay For Life supporters in-person this year, we know that together, as a community, we can make a difference for Canadians affected by can­cer. That's why we're excited to invite you to join us for Relay At Home – a new way to participate online.

On Saturday, June 13 from 7–9 PM EST, Relay For Life participants across Canada can come together for Relay At Home! With online interactive activities, time to celebrate survivors and remember those we've lost, Relay At Home will unite our communities like never before and show Canadians across the country that no one has to face cancer alone. Sign up to be a part of this unforgettable event – from the comforts of home!

Link to learn more and register: https://support.cancer.ca/site/TR?fr_id=27316&pg=entry&s_qkey=support.cancer.ca&s_src=soo-facebook-rfl_social&s_subsrc=rahlaunch_relayforlife2020&utm_source=soo-facebook-rfl&utm_medium=social&utm_content=rahlaunch&utm_campaign=relayforlife2020

Have you attended Relay for Life in the past? Share your pictures and memories below.
Do you plan on attending Relay At Home?

Re: Let's Discuss...Relay At Home!

Posted by WestCoastSailor on May 8, 2020 12:42 pm

Lacey_adminCCS‍ 

I was planning to go back to Saskatchewan for their Relay this June.

Last year was my first one and it was amazingly inspiring. I was just coming to terms with my stage 4 diagnosis and to be surrounded by so many survivors and their supporters was amazing. Not to mention my own but WOW. Crazy bunch booked an AirBNB and used airmile points to get themselves out here from Saskatchewan.

Oh yeah and that is the first time I met folks face to face from CancerConnections.ca Lianne_adminCCS‍  Yup it was really awesome.

And when the lantern moment came I didn't really know what to expect but found it deeply moving.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 8, 2020 1:23 pm

Thanks for sharing WestCoastSailor‍! I hope you and your 'crazy bunch' will join us for Relay At Home.

I wanted to share some of my past Relay for Life memories with you all 😊

0735adac9ff155cbc7928a1ebbbf0b17-huge-re

575e28fb19b0e5ee2db8a60825f38cb2-huge-re

8428fee1180f3a9f705e1f858724f5bd-huge-rf

I look forward to joining the whole country to view and participate in Relay At Home.

Lacey

Posted by Essjay on May 8, 2020 3:32 pm

I didn’t do the Relay for Life last year as I was still in treatment, but I did do the Run for the Cure in October, my first run since high school!

To be honest, while I am proud of the chance to raise funds for a worthy cause, I felt a fraud doing the ‘run’, and I don’t think I will again. I didn’t really like the reminder of what I’d been through, although I could appreciate the effort those in treatment were making and they were inspiring. I didn’t really like wearing a ‘survivor’ t-shirt because it labelled me, and I didn’t feel like I deserved it...I didn’t know I’d feel like this when I entered the event...

I’m fitter and stronger than every before, and I really don’t want to be a ‘survivor’. I would rather race with ‘normal’ people! So this year I signed up with friends as a relay team for the Marathon. Of course it’s been delayed but hopefully, we will run in October, and I’m one of our teams fastest runners currently planning to do the home leg. Our team is working on plans to raise funds, for Cancercare...

I’m online so much for work, all these online events are exhausting. I’d rather put on my trail shoes and head outside with my partner and dog...
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by ashcon on May 11, 2020 1:48 pm

I went to my first RFL event 2 years ago, a few weeks after I finished my last radiation treatment.  I got to speak as a Survivor and share my story. I got high-fived by hundreds of really amazing students and organizers as I went around the Survivors Lap.
I also got to hang out at a high school again with my BFF who I met 40 years earlier in high school.

Today it's snowing here in Ontario. So I'm missing sunny days, and REALLY missing the physical contact of high 5's!
.79f6eca201d04b1c78ccdb650e4b8810-huge-re
27652badf598e25265e5c678d6abd185-huge-re

---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by KerriKerri on May 16, 2020 1:08 pm

Precisely how is this being done? What does each individual do? I can't seem to pin that down.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 20, 2020 10:21 am

KerriKerri‍ 

Members register to attend the virtual event and watch it online. There is also an opportunity to create a team and fundraise to support the Canadian Cancer Society. 

"Relay is more than a fundraiser. It unites a collective of Canadians who are a force-for-life in the face of cancer. It’s a chance for participants of all ages to come together and celebrate the survivors in our communities, who send a powerful message of hope for those living with the disease. It’s a place to honour and remember those we’ve lost to cancer."

Learn more here:https://support.cancer.ca/site/TR?fr_id=27316&pg=entry&s_qkey=support.cancer.ca&s_src=soo-facebook-rfl_social&s_subsrc=rahlaunch_relayforlife2020&utm_source=soo-facebook-rfl&utm_medium=social&utm_content=rahlaunch&utm_campaign=relayforlife2020

I hope this helps,
Lacey

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jun 8, 2020 8:41 pm

So for the record I reached my not very ambitious fundraising goal today.

Really looking forward to seeing how this event comes together... The linup of celebrities is just amazing. That would never have happened at a local event.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jun 8, 2020 9:23 pm

Excited about it too WestCoastSailor‍ 😁