What would you tell yourself four months ago?

What would you tell yourself four months ago?

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 5, 2020 9:43 am

Hello All:

I had this funny Youtube video shared with me where this woman explains the pandemic to her past self. Watch it below! It got me thinking, " What would you tell yourself to do 4 months ago to prepare for this time?" Also "What would you tell yourself about your experience with cancer or as a caregiver four months ago?" I would have told myself not to go ice skating four months ago if I had the chance! I broke my ankle and fibula in February making quarantine extra tough.

Tag someone else to ask them what they would have said. Lianne_adminCCS‍ - what would you tell yourself to do 4 months ago to prepare for now? 

Re: What would you tell yourself four months ago?

Posted by ashcon on May 5, 2020 11:11 am

This is hilarious! And so true.  I love the "good news" spin on Covid19 that she talks about.  I was wondering the other day, "what must Greta Thunburg be thinking right now?"

For myself, I usually do my "spring tune up" (hair cut/colour, pedicure, waxing) in April/May. So I wish  that I had known to get ahead of that curve and get it done in February before the lock down!

Hezz‍  You've been in the thick of surgeries and appointments through all this.  What can you share?
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Kims1961 on May 5, 2020 1:36 pm

SO funny!!!!

I would have added"  Buy stocks in Toilet Paper and Hand Sanitizer!   I'm finally able to get both now at my grocery store.

Thank you for sharing!

Buffythevampire‍ ...what would you tell yourself?
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Wendy Tea on May 5, 2020 2:16 pm

This video clip with a chat about covid-19 by myself and with myself before and after lockdown is so on point. It really makes me value every minute of every day.

Ten_minutes‍  Over to you! Please join in the conversation. 
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on May 5, 2020 4:39 pm

Thanks for the tag Lacey_adminCCS‍ 
Short of stocking up on TP, hand sanitizer and lysol wipes can't think of too much I could have done before.
If I could change other things, I would have not had the cough that kept me from the gym for the month before it closed and would have moved a few concerts up to February 😉

Oh and when I went to buy my new phone on the Friday before "it all happened" - I would have bought it and not said _ I'll come back Monday 🙄

MCoaster‍  - anything for you?

Lianne

Posted by Hezz on May 5, 2020 7:54 pm

Oh ashcon‍ ...let me tell you!
  • All that money I spent on new bras after Christmas. Yah...that was a shopping spree I really didn't need to go on.
  • The hours and hours I spent planning curriculum for Easter events and activities. Could've used that for other things.
  • The negotiations to buy a preschool on April 1st, not really necessary.
What should I have done???
  • Started eating healthier a bit earlier.
  • Spent as much time as possible with my grandkids.
  • Taken my kids out to lunch a few more times.
  • Seen a few more movies in the theatre.
And of course...
  • Gone swimming in a BIKINI!
  • Gone on a vacation to a TOPLESS BEACH!
  • Worn every low cut shirt I owned for maximum CLEAVAGE!
WestCoastSailor‍ enlighten us with your wisdom please!

Posted by Buffythevampire on May 5, 2020 10:18 pm

Kims1961‍ I know that I wouldn't want to go back in time as I would still be doing treatments instead of being finished. 

I am doing pretty good as I am still working and  have not been sick at all (touch wood) not even a cold. I can't remember the last time that I was sick with a cold.

I think I would invest in toilet paper stocks. If money was not a concern I think I would hire a chef or else a maid to do the cleaning. I would spend more quality time with my family (that lives in a different house then me). I have gained some weight since I have finished chemo, not sure if it's because food tastes like food again or it's the medication that I am still on, but if I could go back and not gain it in the first place.

Runner Girl‍ what would you tell yourself.?

Posted by Runner Girl on May 6, 2020 12:54 pm

Buffythevampire‍ ,

I would have told myself to go buy those super cushiony wider running shoes when they were on sale!  Now that I can't get acupuncture I am again dealing with the foot and leg pain.  I grit my teeth and run thru it though, I need my daily run.  I've also added a potassium supplement every other day to help with the pain.

I also would have reminded myself about losing touch with the folks who really are just fake friends.  Those who I've done so much for would just disappear.  The true friends call or text on a regular basis and I'm grateful for them.

law‍ , what would you tell yourself?

Runner Girl

Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by law on May 6, 2020 1:49 pm

Runner Girl‍ followed by passing the mic to Cynthia Mac‍ 
What a great video!
I admire and I am amazed that you still run, Runner Girl -- even in pain. I understand my friends when they do the same. A daily run.... they may be wearing masks these days but certainly 4 months ago the world was more amenable to runners or anyone else desiring to venture outside of their cocoon.

4 months ago ???  Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Most likely I would have continued to feel guilty for being a Professional Couch Potato while indulging in potato chips just to crunch them for texture, as I still cannot taste nor smell. Texture is where it's at these days. And, I no longer feel guilty---I feel it is my patriotic duty to stay on the couch. The good news is that I now look forward to the permission I give myself to maintain the order and cleanliness of my safe, non-COVID-19 apartment. I am outgoing when I see pals and converse with them 2 metres apart....truthfully, I love the idea of not having to vacuum as no one is invited inside for now. For my preparation 4 months previous to the current 'Bizarrely New Normal', I am relieved I sent most of my snail mail letters to friends outside of Canada, but I no longer freak out knowing I had a ticket to fly to Arizona when I really did not want to visit them. Last year I canceled due to cancer recovery;  this year it was the hesitancy to go anywhere...what a relief.
I usually am neurotic to the point of having extra toidy tissue, enough food to eat/ cook,and adequate soap+ shampoo to shower and wash the dishes.... Yes--I am a multi-soap gal.
I am an overly organized person who is usually ready for anything, so the 4-month flashback is really my Get Out of Jail Free Card to stay indoors.
All I miss these days is checking books out from the library and hugging my friends.

and now, I pass the mic to Cynthia Mac
law

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on May 6, 2020 2:10 pm

Runner Girl‍ 

O feel you on the acupuncture and pain

In the week that everything shut down I was to start physio, go to an advanced pain management appt  along with acupuncture and a hair appointment. I week would have made so much difference.

Lianne

Posted by law on May 6, 2020 2:21 pm

Brighty‍ 
From one C.P. (Couch Potato) to another, I hope you are doing well and enjoying this down time!!
law

Posted by Brighty on May 6, 2020 2:26 pm

I love you law‍ ☺ your post made me laugh out loud.      I can relate.  Now  I don't have to feel guilty  about sitting on the couch eating potatoe chips.    There is  an imprint of my body on the couch now from being on it so much    Lol.   
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by WestCoastSailor on May 6, 2020 2:58 pm

Hezz‍ Thanks for the tag. I think. Topless beaches are just not as risque for guys but there is a tiny part of me that has been thinking that the nude part of Crescent Beach is something I should see before I die.

Quite honestly the first thing that came to mind is not something I care to discuss on an open forum. Let's just say it involves a regular source of hugs and leave it at that.

Then I would make sure that the kid serving with the Canadian Forces in Latvia knows that it is important to stay in touch. And probably run after his truck and give him an extra hug before he leaves.

I would tell myself to really enjoy my last couple of jobs as a first aid attendant because after my discussion with my oncologist yesterday I don't think I will ever be able to do that again. Unless they come up with treatment or vaccine my irradiated lungs can't take the chance on infection and it is pretty hard to do CPR from two metres away.

While my apartment is becoming much more habitable, thank you Marie Kondo, I do wish the stuff that I'm taking to my storage unit (an essential service - who knew) was going straight to  thrift stores or other donation places. If I had started sooner that would have worked much better.

Bottom line? Other than my various support meetings becoming virtual my life really hasn't changed all that much.

Oh and now who to drag into this mess. Kuching‍ you strike me as a thoughtful person who might have something to add to this.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by Kuching on May 6, 2020 3:39 pm

Well, let’s see. I would have bought stock in Kroger (they make most of Canada’s toilet paper).  I would have bought toilet paper, to save myself the embarrassment of genuinely needing to buy some right when everyone was hoarding it.   I would have got a cat, so I wouldn’t have to talk to myself so much.

But seriously, I would have been grateful that my husband was dying at a time when nurses could still come to the house on a regular basis, and when I could spend all day every day with him for his last two weeks back in the hospital.  I can’t imagine not being able to be with him at that stage.

Next....

Posted by Cynthia Mac on May 6, 2020 11:10 pm

Well, law‍ , I’ll tell you... The Diamond Princess happened about the middle of the first week of my cruise, and Italy’s news broke in the second week of my cruise. So, if I could have told myself anything 4 months ago, it would have been “get your a** home right after your cruise and skip the San Diego Zoo on March 1.”  

I am so grateful for the timing of that trip, even though it was just a titch too close for comfort. It will likely be my last one for a couple years. I already had that sense about it because of my Dad’s health, but now I have that sense for a completely different reason! I seriously doubt that Scandinavia is going to happen in 2023, let alone in 2021, which was when I was being encouraged to do it.

Since I’ve got my head around the concept of self isolation, I’ve been mostly fine. I have two craft rooms, and one of them has been heavily used. I probably would have told myself to do a little research on sewing medical products - masks, surgical caps, headbands, etc.

It’s tough not seeing the Laddie, and it’s stressful to go out to run errands, and there’s a lot of concern for Dad and awkwardness in getting care to him (including groceries), but the introvert in me has been able to make peace with the rest of this. The lack of spending just in the last couple months has meant that I’ve been able to cover a nice percentage of the cost of my new deck without having to go into debt. 

Sadly I have to vacuum - black cat with a cardboard scratching post and wall-to-wall carpet - even in the sewing room!

Buffythevampire‍  — I know if I had a chef, I’d eat a lot more veggies!

WestCoastSailor‍ — mmm. Yeah. Being a first responder is a very high-risk proposition for you these days. Sorry you have to give that up, but if your oncologist was as frank as Dad’s was on the subject, you’re doing the right thing.

On the decluttering front, though, I can happily report that my front hall closet got KonMari’d the other day - I tossed out a snowmobile suit, 2 coats and a leather jacket, plus about 6 pairs of shoes, one pair of which never once sparked joy, only pain.

Looks like we haven’t heard from Whitelilies‍ Yet, so I’ll see if she’ll join us.

“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Whitelilies on May 7, 2020 11:02 am

Cynthia Mac‍ Hello
Yikes...4 months ago......I woulda I coulda I shoulda......done a little more "self care" !
Just as ashcon‍ mentioned......hair cut AND color! bye bye grey....mani/pedi woulda been lovely....

Ahhhhh to dream backwards.......

Keep well

Regards
Whitelilies

Posted by Cynthia Mac on May 7, 2020 11:18 am

I always love your posts, Whitelilies‍ !

And I should add, that the snowmobile suit I set aside for donation the other day is one of a pair from when I was married - that was 25 years ago now. Until about 3 winters ago, I’d kept them and put one in the trunk of the car every winter for emergency, but I haven’t done that for a while, and since I won’t be doing any winter road trips in the foreseeable future... it’s bye bye to the pair of them! 
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Whitelilies on May 7, 2020 2:28 pm

Cynthia Mac‍ Hello
Thank you for your kind words.  It made me smile.
You are a bright light.......a caring lady.......
Raining here in Toronto....feels extra dreary.......

Regards
Lillian

Whitelilies

ps I JUST got a call, from the Clinic that does my Vitamin C/IV.....they will RE START IVs late May: I have an appointment ! Yeah....back to life!

ps #2 going back 4 months....I NEVER thought I would be "excited" for a needle !

ps #3 I NEVER thought I would be looking forward to a Colonoscopy......ever.......but IF my Dr can say ALL CLEAR....ALL CLEAN.....I will drink that smudge-beverage all night!

Posted by Orlando on May 29, 2020 10:42 pm

I'd tell myself to stock up on toilet paper and Kraft Dinner