Let's discuss...managing the risk of COVID-19

Let's discuss...managing the risk of COVID-19

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Apr 14, 2020 4:12 pm

e9f9a190a3dabff848ac3032de0fda56-huge-ap

If you have cancer, you are at a higher risk for more serious outcomes of COVID-19. Cancer is considered an underlying medical condition. And some cancer treatments, such as surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, can weaken your immune system, making it harder for you to fight infections.

LEARN MORE: COVID-19 and cancer patients webinar available now!

Discussion Question: What steps are you taking to reduce your risk or the risk of your loved ones of contracting Covid-19?

Re: Let's discuss...managing the risk of COVID-19

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Apr 14, 2020 7:32 pm

Well worth the fifteen minutes it took to watch this video.

I"m taking the normal precautions which are very similar to the precautions that I took when I was immuno- compromised on chemo treatment.

I have a CT scan scheduled for ten days time. I'm planning on calling my oncologist about four days before the scan to double-check the situation in the hospital where I will go for the scan and re-examine the reason for the scan to figure out if it is really necessary. I'm fortunate to have an oncologist who is open to that sort of consultation. I will follow the screening protocols when I get to the hospital the following week to get my results.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by Eddie on Apr 14, 2020 8:06 pm

I am thinking like Angus concerning the CT scans, I can't see the purpose of having them at this time.
If I were having issues with the treatment I would consider it, the CT scan will not help in a positive way
for the treatment.  The radiation that it gives off is not a plus. With COVID-19 with us, I would rather wait
it out.

Posted by Faye on Apr 14, 2020 11:03 pm

Informative presentation, I’m sure would be very helpful for anyone just starting with a cancer diagnosis and treatment. 
I felt it to be factual without fear mongering.

Posted by St. James 7 on Apr 15, 2020 10:48 am

I am staying isolated. My wife and I are virtually quarantined. My kids and granddaughter visit and we see them outside from 10+ ft separation. 

Posted by Mammabear on Apr 15, 2020 10:55 am

I am fortunate to not be in active treatment so not at high risk. Medium risk my onc said as I am still recovering.
I do have scans this month and continue to have ongoing treatments (immuno therapy) but they don't put me at high risk. 
For my scans I will wear a mask and not touch my face and wash my hands just like I did when I went out during active treatment.
Otherwise we are so used to this social isolation having recently finished active treatment that it seems normal. 
Walking the dog. Working from home. Living my best life with cancer during a pandemic. 

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Apr 15, 2020 11:13 am

Mammabear:
I am fortunate to not be in active treatment so not at high risk. Medium risk my onc said as I am still recovering.
I do have scans this month and continue to have ongoing treatments (immuno therapy) but they don't put me at high risk. 
For my scans I will wear a mask and not touch my face and wash my hands just like I did when I went out during active treatment.
Otherwise we are so used to this social isolation having recently finished active treatment that it seems normal. 
Walking the dog. Working from home. Living my best life with cancer during a pandemic. 

Amazing how we humans adapt! Keep living your best life with cancer and a pandemic!. It is wonderful to hear from you.

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Apr 15, 2020 11:15 am

St. James 7:
I am staying isolated. My wife and I are virtually quarantined. My kids and granddaughter visit and we see them outside from 10+ ft separation. 

St. James 7

Thanks for sharing.

As I read your post I imagined your granddaughter running towards you for a hug when things go back to normal. Seeing each other's faces helps. Keep well!

Posted by Melinda on Apr 15, 2020 11:42 am

My surgery for colon cancer was Apr 3, right in the middle of covid 19 outbreak here in BC. I talked to the hospital several times ahead of time to ensure my best plan for getting to the surgical ward without being near any non-staff. I was dropped off at the curb, and was able to use a less trafficked entrance. Once there, I felt very safe. No visitors at all while I was there, only staff doing a great job of keeping me safe. Same with leaving, I made my way alone to the curb where my husband and daughter picked me up (they were isolated 3 weeks by then). Since home we have stayed isolated physically but connect with our kids and grandkids virtually. We’re careful to clean and repackage all groceries coming into the home. The grocery stores are doing a great job filling our online orders. I’m blessed to live in a quiet neighbourhood so our daily walks allow us to be across the road from others who are out. My doctors appointments have been by phone. 

Posted by myworstnightmare on Apr 15, 2020 11:44 am

Hi everyone,

So first of all I eat healthy. That's very important. I take vitamins and homeopathic remedies to strengthen the immune system, I recently introduced to my daily intake - Elderberry capsule, chlorella and goji berries to increase antioxidants and mung beans for fighting cancer and protein/vitamins qualities. I get out every day for a speed walk for at least an hour - wearing a mask and gloves. I meditate every day. I exercise daily on top of it with videos I purchased online by Meredith Shink - called One and Done by Svelt training - you can watch a demo for free - only $37.00. I also have Yoga burn videos - also purchased online but it actually came as an actual video package in the mail. I talk to my kids and friends daily, I read, I engage with family overseas with Zoom, and this is how I keep from going insane!!! I really hope that all of us will stay safe and stay put until all of this ends. I pray every day for it to end because I am a very active person and as much as I do at home, I miss the ability to go downstairs to my gym in my building for a sweaty workout with all the right equipment, but this too shall pass. This too shall pass my friends, sending love and light to all of you xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx big hugs:)

Posted by susnram on Apr 15, 2020 11:58 am

My hubby and I have been banned by our daughters to go grocery shopping.  Either they do it or it's all done online.   We have masks whenever we move around the condo.

Posted by Jackwb on Apr 15, 2020 12:01 pm

I too am taking the recommended precautions We returned a couple of weeks early from Florida, called my daughter before we left and she stocked our fridge, freezer, and pantry. Made sure we had lots of beer and wine (we brought the bourbon from down there). After two weeks in self quarantine I did my blood work then had two telephone doctor appointments.

We're eating healthy, I'm as active as the weather permits, usually cycling 80 km/day, my wife will join me when the weather warms up but for now she's walking one hour/day and doing the on-line work out videos the "Y" sent over for about two hours/day. Our daughter came over on Sunday, we sat six feet apart wearing gloves. She's working from home but her husband still works in Toronto.

I'm also following the American recommendation that we wash our hands with soap and water while singing the Happy Birthday song.

Posted by jobo on Apr 15, 2020 2:02 pm

I'm having trouble figuring out which I'm more afraid of - Covid-19 or a recurrence of my cancer.  My gyne-onc had told me that there was an 85% risk of recurrence in my case and that a recurrence would have a very poor prognosis,  I'm finished chemo but on a clinical trial, so receiving drugs that aren't well studied.  I'm due for a CT scan soon, and I can't figure out which is riskier - going to the hospital for the scan, or postponing the scan and potentially missing catching a recurrence early. 

Posted by Kims1961 on Apr 15, 2020 2:30 pm

Great webinar!!!   Thank you - I found it very informative and answered many of those " I wonder" questions.

Kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Pickles on Apr 15, 2020 4:14 pm

For me, this COVID-19 is the least of the issues I am going through now.  My life turned upside-down on February 24th - before all h*** broke loose out here in BC.  I went into Delta ER with a suspected heart attack and stayed at the Delta "hotel" for five days.

I am in week nine with NO DIAGNOSIS.  I have an Internist (who is coordinating all this wonderful stuff), a Geriatric Psychiatrist (who unfortunately is a one-trick pony - just dealing with what he calls hypomania - which is Bipolar lite), and two amazing GP's - one through the public system and one through the private system.  They talk and confer with each other.  It can't get better than that.  So, again, I am in very good hands.

Long story, short.  No, I did not have a heart attack.  Spent five days in Delta Hospital, transferred to Royal Columbian Hospital for an angiogram, which showed that, first of all, I do have a heart, and secondly, no stents needed -  "juicy" arteries (according to the cardiologist).

Because of a wonderful relationship with my Oncologist, I can still contact him.  So, even though he was on holiday in March, his medical receptionist worked miracles in his absence.  I was slated for two ultrasounds set up by my GP and the first one would have been on April 6th with the next one slated for the 14th of April.  I left it with her and an hour later, she told me she got me in to get three ultrasounds to all be done at the same time on March 23rd.  WOW!!!!  Anyways, these all turned out negative - but still no results.  ARGH!!!

More blood draws done and finally got the last blood result on March 27th.  Internist says what they were looking for is high, but in his opinion, nothing to worry about.  Don't see him again until three weeks from today.

Anyways, I have my third virtual appointment with the Geriatric Psychiatrist this afternoon, and as I did with my cancer treatment, have ALL test results and timeframes of everything written down.

What I have done is to include all the symptoms I have DAILY, that are NOT Bipolar Lite related.  My Oncologist called me last Wednesday, and assured me that he had never heard of a 66 year old "coming down" with Bipolar.  So, that makes three of them - Oncologist and the 2 GP's all believe I do not have Bipolar (even Lite brand).  Yes, I have hypomania and euphoria and don't sleep much without the help of anti-psychotics, but these are temporary fixes.

Anyways, when all is said and done, life is pretty darn good.  Yes, I have been given my share of lemons, but the lemonade sure tastes good!

Warrior Queen (Journey Two)

What do I wish for?  A DIAGNOSIS!

Posted by vic777 on Apr 15, 2020 4:24 pm

Hi  So I'm with some  of you, I have a CT scan scheduled for next week and I'm so nervous about going into the hospital.  I finished my treatment roughly 6 weeks ago but I still have trouble swallowing (from the radiation given on the front of my chest) it hurts and I keep trying not to be upset about it but I didn't have any problems whatsoever until they did the treatments.  I had 6 weeks of chemo and radiation (radiation daily for Mon-Friday) I was told I was stage 3 but at the same time they kept telling me I had a couple of very small spots on my back.  They did more tests then I can count and constantly said they didn't think the spots were cancerous BUT not sure so lets do a MRI.   And again they didn't know so that is one of the reasons they want this CT scan to compare it to one of the original ones!  Somewhere throughout this I hurt my back and of course that could be from the tumour, the CT scan would confirm that one way or another.
In any event, I'm sorry for rambling, in answer to the question I have stayed in my little townhouse for almost 6 weeks.  Just went out one day for a drive but didn't stop anywhere.  I'm washing my hands all the time and what makes me even more nervous is that the hospital I have the appointment with had an outbreak of COVD a couple of weeks ago.  I am planning on wearing gloves and a mask, I just don't know if I can get on the table with my back hurting so much.  Any tips?

Posted by SpeedyStill on Apr 15, 2020 7:28 pm

All my information comes from reliable sources. We can be overwhelmed by information which only increases our anxiety level.
Keeping safe means following this information.
I am an elderly gentleman who has had Cancer and has other health issues. 
I follow the information which is applicable to my situation.
This is why I think this type of communication is so important to everyone who is looking for reliable information. This is especially the case for everyone in the greater Cancer Community.
We have to be be safe but also able to find enjoyment in our lives.
Keep them coming Lacey
Speedystill 

Posted by Buffythevampire on Apr 15, 2020 8:22 pm

Just watched the webinar, very informative but not too scientific (easy to understand). I am very fortunate to be towards the end of my treatments. I had my final MUGA today and have my last herceptin treatment on April 21st. Still have a surgery to get through but it's been delayed (not sure how long). I would rather wait until it's safe anyway. I am a grocery store worker and still putting in plenty of hours considering I am classified as part-time. I do my grocery shopping when I am finished working. When not at work I am at home and only leave to take out the garbage or to pick up the mail. I prefer to be at home anyway, so all is good with me. I live alone so I know I won't infect anyone when I get home. I visit my mom (brother and twin niece's) occasionally on the lawn while she is on her porch. Mom has a 14 year old dog that I get to pet/see while I am there. 

I don't understand the stockpiling of toilet paper at all. I am a collector of earrings and bought a new pair from ebay. I attached a photo.

I also joined a facebook group called "Hearts in the Window" which brings a smile to my face.
Attached files

Posted by Barney on Apr 15, 2020 10:23 pm

The latest issue of Maclean's magazine (May 2020) has an interesting article that is relevant to our topic..One  statement says that at one of Toronto's hospitals up to 70% of scheduled medical procedures have been turned down.  I live in a city not far from TO and I can vouch for the fact that the same thing has happened in our hospitals. A couple of days ago, before I had read the article,I visited a hospital for a scheduled bone density scan. My appointment had been cancelled and the explanation seemed a bit vague - something to do with rescheduling and priorities. My urologist seemed unaware of this policy,, so perhaps it had only just been implemented.  A new appointment was booked, and this time it will be near the end of June  - more than two months away. It appears that the hospital is hoping that the coronavirus situation may have improved enough to allow for "non essential' procedures. If this is not the case at that time, I will probably see another cancellation. I must agree, I suppose, with hospital's decision to include diagnostic imaging amongst the non essentials. The postponement of my bone scan will not create a life threatening situation, although it might delay the discovery that my combination of therapeutic drugs and vitamin/mineral supplements needs adjustment in order to achieve the right balance. It seems to me that the higher priority would be the protection of the medical staff so that they would be available to conduct essential procedures on other patients as needed.. My advanced prostate  cancer  is being treated with hormones that I take orally at home, so in fact I only rely on the medical professionals for monitoring and possible further diagosis.One must indeed be thankful for small mercies.
Barney

Posted by VioletFlower on Apr 16, 2020 4:55 am

This is the first week that my son (with cognitive disability) has been spending more time at his apartment. His care team are operating as a skeleton crew administering his medication only by having him come to the street versus them entering homes. I dropped off his groceries  the day before last and also clean his apartment including laundry.

He called me to say he was having symptoms and was seen by paramedics the night before. He has loose stool, coughing up phlegm and a low fever. So now he will be self isolating in his apt for 24 days. The paramedics told him that he is young (40) and many people only have mild symptoms. 

Thank you for this informative video. I wondered if him having testicular cancer would increase his risk of covid-19 but he is at a higher risk with lack of hygiene abilities, I think.

Anyway, I have my phone on all night and he knows that he can call me any time and I will face time for visits. If needed I will just suit up with PPE and go into his place. I will also cook and deliver. We will ride it out as best we can.

Posted by Quinn on Apr 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I DO pray that everyone keeps safe during the COVID-19, we all be STRONG through this phase, I do understand many people are feeling uneasy with this dangerous virus, I am a firm believer & keep everyone in my prayers that "WE" all WILL pull through this together with supports close by, phone, video chat & family support also.

I am and have been since 2 months ago that I trend very carefully when getting groceries once a week, wearing a scarf, gloves and practised physical distancing when travelling by bus, to brisk walks. Once I am in the store, already mapped out what I need to get/ pay and leave the store sooner and hop on a bus to get home. I made changes in my kitchen counters/ bathroom is almost bare to simply keep it wiped down, stay on a healthy diet & soups, watched taped shows, Netflix, computer games and journaling. I also watched poor neighbours that love nearby McDonalds and whined that they can't go in, but they have no cars, one said, should have a video screen to ask for take outs by foot as another option instead of car? I thought, they should learn to change their diet, take lessons to cook at home instead?

I realized that the longer I stayed in since February, I feel different, like I forget what day is it today, feels Sunday today, but it's Thursday. Sometimes I worry whether I make sense or not when talking with friends on video chat, or emails, even on here too. When I go out for brisk walks 20 something minutes and stretch when the sun is out, I see streets/ sidewalks are sometimes bare except for taxis, TTC bus/ streetcar, police and ambulance or a firetruck whiz by. I chose to think it's a holiday and people are staying home to relax then think of "bleary" when nothing is the same, BUT...I admire the scene of squirrels looking for their buried treasure in the nearby parks, peanuts or other? I noticed clean air, LESS pollution, a smile came to my face, wondered would things be different with LESS pollution?

Meanwhile, my appointment(s) including 2nd surgery at the hospital were delayed until later May. I had accepted to see delays that could happen after May. I keep in touch with my oncologist, surgeon's office, as well as family Dr. Just a tad worry about going in for Zoledronic Infusion again this July? Uncertain, but rather wait it out until this COVID-19 has slowly going away and never return for long time....I also keep in touch with friends, family via video chats, it helped friends and family can see I am ok, and DO try to get creative while staying home...I vividly remember someone say "Good Vibes Only", I intended to keep that motto everyday.

I don't know if anything I say helps, but at least some light humour to keep things in healthy balance, NOT in the dark room.

God Bless,
Quinn

Posted by Dhenne on Apr 22, 2020 3:35 am

I like the webinar and will wait for more. Thank you for sharing. I have an appointment to see my oncologist after a CT scan, but I'm not sure if that will happen. Still waiting for the CT scan to be booked. I'm really not keen about it, as I'd rather stay home than risk catching the virus. I also had my mammogram suspended and my ecg. So there is probably no point of meeting my oncologist, if I will not have any tests done. Anyways, I hope everyone is taking care for now. Take care and be safe 🥰

Posted by rxyxr on Apr 22, 2020 10:06 am

Haven’t posted or responded for awhile as events seemed to move so quickly and overtake any day to day planning. Despite uncertainties over being hospitalized during the Covid 19 pandemic my partner proceeded with his complex 7 hour head and neck surgery on April 2 and had the tumour on the floor of his mouth under his tongue removed.  Basically this included removing enough surrounding tissue to necessitate replacing it with part of his forearm, and that area then required a skin graft from his leg to cover it over...a very complex surgery. The good news is he has been recovering much faster than expected, was out of the hospital in 10 days rather than the 3 weeks originally predicted, and has been doing well at home, all things considered. He did lose quite a bit of weight in a very short time and still is unable to swallow safely so feeding himself via a PEG - though definitely craving so many different foods (out of respect I often try not to eat in front of him...). 

Yesterday was his first post surgery follow up with the medical team involved. Except for a fungal infection in his mouth and throat (being treated with a powerful mouth rinse and a daily tablet) the news was all good. Since the exploratory part of the surgery happily did not turn up any spread of cancer to any of the adjoining tissues ie nodes, nerves, blood vessels etc the radiologist has decided that the usual follow up course of radiation treatment is uncalled for and, with current pandemic concerns, probably better to avoid further exposure risks.  Follow up in two months....

Overall his 9 days in hospital - first in ICU and then in isolation - were difficult but definitely positive and very reassuring. After his discharge one of the nurses suggested he would be a good candidate for a proposed interview for a local CBC morning show...I’ll include the link for it below. He talks about his experience and how his fears and concerns, particularly related  to the possibility of exposure to Covid 19 in a hospital setting, were quickly and professionally alleviated by all the staff involved.  Perhaps it might help to reassure someone facing a necessary surgery, cancer or otherwise, to hear someone else talk about their experience in facing a similar situation...

Morning North with Markus Schwabe | Live Radio | CBC Listen. Going to the hospital for surgery during the COVID-19 pandemic

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio/1-41-morning-north/clip/15772064-going-to-the-hospital-for-surgery-during-the-covid-19-pandemic 

Posted by CentralAB on Apr 22, 2020 4:06 pm

I came across the following that might be of interest to some here, re Covid 19

The Dealhack Canada Guide to Free Online Resources During the COVID-19 Pandemic is a compilation of online courses, software, academic journals, and apps that you can access for free during the COVID-19 pandemic. You can download and print this guide in PDF format so you can access it even without Internet access. CLICK HERE for more info

My son shared this link with me in a birthday card for my 65th last week.

Lacey_adminCCS:

e9f9a190a3dabff848ac3032de0fda56-huge-ap

If you have cancer, you are at a higher risk for more serious outcomes of COVID-19. Cancer is considered an underlying medical condition. And some cancer treatments, such as surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy, can weaken your immune system, making it harder for you to fight infections.

LEARN MORE: COVID-19 and cancer patients webinar available now!

Discussion Question: What steps are you taking to reduce your risk or the risk of your loved ones of contracting Covid-19?

________________ "there is always a little Light"

Posted by CentralAB on Apr 24, 2020 1:11 am

Lacey_adminCCS:

St. James 7:

St. James 7

Thanks for sharing.

As I read your post I imagined your granddaughter running towards you for a hug when things go back to normal. Seeing each other's faces helps. Keep well!

My 3 yr old Grandson was in tears today because he couldnt do the normal contact, and time together. It was a quick, distant visit. They dont understand at that age. A phone call helped to sooth his pain. 😀
________________ "there is always a little Light"