Family member woke up sick

Family member woke up sick

Posted by FHL!! on Jan 29, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi, I’m in the midst of chemotherapy for Hodgkin’s lymphoma. I’m living at home temporarily with my parents for the help (thankfully). Today my mom woke up with a sore throat. I know that I have to keep my distance and make sure we all wash our hands like crazy, are there any other recommendations on how to ensure I don’t get sick too?

thank you! 

Re: Family member woke up sick

Posted by ashcon on Jan 29, 2020 3:29 pm

Hi FHL!!‍ 
​​​​​​
You are a wise soul for asking this question and for protecting yourself at this time. 
I'm glad you are getting support from your parents, but you don't need their germs! 

I found this information on the cancer.ca website. 
The only thing I would add, based on all the precautions we're hearing with the coronavirus, is do everything in your power to avoid touching your face without having first washed your hands. Eyes, nose, mouth are the most popular ways for viruses to enter our bodies. 

Stay well! 

Preventing infection

Report any symptoms of infection to your doctor or healthcare team. Do not take any medicines for a fever without checking first with the healthcare team.

You can also take the following steps to help lower your risk of getting an infection.

Practise good personal hygiene

This is one of the most effective ways of avoiding infection. Wash your hands often during the day, especially before eating and after going to the bathroom. Carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer to clean your hands if a sink is not available. Clean the anal area gently but thoroughly after a bowel movement.

Take a warm, instead of hot, shower every day. Hot showers can dry out the skin. Gently pat skin dry rather than rubbing it briskly.

Use a soft toothbrush or clean cloth to clean teeth and gums to avoid irritating the mouth.

Use pads rather than tampons during menstruation.

Protect your skin

If your skin becomes dry or cracked, use moisturizing lotions to soften it and help it heal. The healthcare team or pharmacist can suggest lotions.

Wear rubber gloves when doing dishes, cleaning or gardening. Use cuticle cream or cuticle remover instead of tearing or cutting the cuticles. Do not squeeze or scratch pimples. Use an electric shaver instead of a razor to avoid cutting the skin. Be especially careful to avoid burns when ironing or cooking. Clean any cut or scrape at once with warm water and soap.

Maintain good general health

Whenever possible, get enough rest, eat a well-balanced diet, drink plenty of fluids and get regular exercise.

If you have low blood cell counts, take steps to protect yourself. Stay away from anyone who has a cold, the flu or an infectious disease like chicken pox, mumps, measles or shingles. Talk to the healthcare team about vaccinations. Depending on the type of cancer treatment, some vaccinations should be given while others should be avoided. Avoid contact with anyone who has been recently immunized with live virus vaccines, such as those for chicken pox, polio or measles. Avoid crowds, such as those in shopping malls or on buses while blood counts are low.

Follow precautions for food safety. Cook vegetables and wash and peel fruit to get rid of bacteria on their surfaces. Avoid uncooked eggs, raw or undercooked meats, poultry, fish and seafood. These foods can contain harmful organisms.

Live plants can be a source of germs. Remove plants from the living area. Avoid cleaning cat litter boxes or birdcages.

Check with the healthcare team if any precautions should be taken during sexual activity when white blood cell counts are low. 

---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Jan 29, 2020 4:38 pm

FHL!!‍ 

Yes, kudos for asking the question.
I would just add using sanitizing wipes or the like to wipe down door handles, computer mouse , phone, tv remote and like items where everyone in the house touches it. And do it frequently.
And of course your mom using her best practices for covering her mouth when coughing, sneezing into a tissue etc will help as well

Hoping she has a speedy recovery

Lianne

Posted by FHL!! on Jan 29, 2020 6:12 pm

Thank you both, I really appreciate it!!