Let's Discuss...2020

Let's Discuss...2020

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 8, 2020 11:20 am

Happy New Year!

eab4a49e2b965305385f1fe9a17324bc-huge-20

A New Year's resolution is a promise a person makes for the new year. Regardless of what resolution you commit to, the goal is to improve life in the coming year. Do you plan on living a healthier lifestyle, practicing better self care,or spending more time with family?

Did you make any promises to yourself for 2020?

Re: Let's Discuss...2020

Posted by Ohmy on Jan 8, 2020 11:47 am

Thanks Lacey!! My goals for 2020 can help everyone to keep busy and for me keeping busy amd getting organized helps me feel in control and focussed. I have started by organizing my basement on days when I feel I have some energy. I also have a journal to write down my thoughts amd plans. So my goal for 2020 is getting organized in my home and in the thoughts!! What is everyone else doing?

Posted by TT53 on Jan 8, 2020 11:48 am

My resolution for 2020 is to live my life to the fullest.  I feel extremely fortunate that my diagnosis wasn't worse and I can handle what I was dealt with.  I will continue to keep my family in the forefront and enjoy our times together.  It is what keeps me happy.  I will also garden as soon as the ground allows me to, to reap the benefits of flowers that brighten everyones lives and definitely lift my mood. 
Wishing everyone the best 2020.  Let's leave 2019 behind us and start fresh..........

Posted by Marsh on Jan 8, 2020 12:01 pm

I plan to do what makes me Happy! I'm eager to get out into the garden this Spring and then spend some time at the beach and cottage this summer. I also feel very fortunate that I got through my treatments so well and that I have my family and wonderful friends to enjoy!. Life is Good!

Posted by Wendy Tea on Jan 8, 2020 12:02 pm

Happy New Year!

My plan is to live.

Eat healthy,  exercise,  socialize,  use my brain,  and give back.

And maybe get more raspberry streaks in my hair. 
I am a survivor. Wendy Tea

Posted by Picasso’s mannequin on Jan 8, 2020 12:28 pm

I am taking a pain management class that is a prerequisite for other goodies like art therapy and I believe does things like mindfulness and meditation. I started two art classes; one is online and the other is in home tutoring/ help. I started an on line writing class from a known class. I started kinesiology and will finish last three Feldenkrais sessions.im taking a class by Margaret Paul later on, but the first one was free and online.

I started a process with GP to begin muscular skeletal investigations of my handicapping mastectomy...they took too much tissue and damaged shoulders.

There is more socializing in the cards.
Signature

Posted by TreasuredTime on Jan 8, 2020 1:54 pm

Thank you Lacey, you are appreciated! 
I am truly grateful for the support team I have for my injury I sustained Aug 2018.  The trauma changed the cancer state and I am grateful to be moving forward in the New Year to complete healing in all areas!  I am only beginning to get screen time in, so i am not much up to date on this community I am so grateful for, and I am here to support anyone who needs it and am grateful!  I Intend to share someday a succession on health so there are tools available for individuals, caregivers, and professionals to access!  will share more as it comes!  

Blessings to everyone.... enjoy the moments and ‘Just be’ ❣️ 

Here we go in love for 2020 💗😁🙏🌀🦋

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jan 8, 2020 2:02 pm

To see clearly in 2020.

I can hear the groans and I know it was a bad pun. It isn't even original - I stole it from Seth Godin.

But it honestly captured my desire. Twenty months ago I wasn't sure I would get to write this date. Now that I'm here, I'm looking around and I realize that life has so much to offer. So often I don't pay attention whether it is to hurting people around me, the fantastic place I get to live, and all the interesting things I get to do.

Some of you know of my struggle to learn watercolor. I was painting waves this morning. Better said, trying to paint them. And while I can see them with a sailor's eye, usually gauging their strength and direction, seeing them with a painter's eye is a completely new experience. And it is one that had I not been diagnosed with cancer I would never have had.

So my goal is simple - to learn to see.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by Mystiquewolf on Jan 8, 2020 3:12 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!!
So this year I have decided that I won't stress over work like I did before I got cancer. My work doesn't really care about me, so I go in and put in my 8 hours of solid work and do the best I can. My work always likes to pile more and more on a person and expect you to get it all done. I think that added to making me sick in the first place. I spend time with all my family. I hug my mom, my kids and my husband more. I look around more when I am outside at birds, the sky, snow, pretty much anything just to appreciate it more. I have also decided to keep exercising a little each day just to keep the lymphedema in check and I like that I lost a little weight and am feeling much stronger. I guess this new year brings me being more thankful that I am still here.

Take care,
Mistiquewolf

Posted by Laika57 on Jan 8, 2020 4:44 pm

Happy new year!

with my husband's diagnosis just before Christmas and the associated troubles, i've not actually thought beyond keeping my head above water.
I suppose if you had asked in November, i would have mentioned the typical ones... Declutter and get back into exercising (beyond walking the dog 2h a day). at least the healthy eating part i have (or had) down pretty well.

One thing that has come from this, is i will be more involved. not just coast along. Make things happen instead of wait for them to come my way.

WestCoastSailor‍ funny how you just made me understand all the hindsight jokes i've been coming across.. 2020 duh, i am so rolling my eyes at myself right now. good luck with your painting. that's one of a long list of creative hobbies i want to (get back) into, naturally, "when i have the time again"...

Posted by Essjay on Jan 8, 2020 5:27 pm

I don’t set New Year’s resolutions but I do like to take a look forward and plan things for the year. I do this because so often, to do the things we plan to do, some actions need to happen to get us there!

On the list for 2020 are:
To become a stronger runner and to participate in some races (that motivates me to workout every day, running or in the gym)
To get out camping with my partner, friends and dog - we camp all year round
To do a backpacking trip in Alberta in August with my partner - we are deciding our route now ready for when campsite booking opens
To renovate our bathroom
To go visit family in UK in April
To rejuvenate my native prairie flowerbeds (a bit overgrown after 2 summers of chaos through diagnosis and treatment)
To give back to Cancer Connection by supporting others
To read more books 
To try new things with friends

All of this, with a general principle of being more balanced. I can be a little all-in or nothing, and overextend myself. Before cancer treatment this was doable here and there, but as I discovered before Christmas when I was doing too much, I’m not capable of that just now and need to slow down a little. So, I’m planning to read more - it’s something I enjoy, struggle to find time for usually, but it’s restful, and when I’m not being a manic busy person sitting down with a book will help me to be a little more balanced.

Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Notdeadyet on Jan 8, 2020 6:46 pm

Hmmmmm. My year looms fat and full of challenges. Today I'm just trying to love my new temporary breast as I wait for the final
fill and my new implant.  I have an expander in my chest which pushes the skin out slowly to take the shape of a breast and once 
its big enough I'll be on the list for surgery.  My last surgery I hope. I haven't posted in a long time because I'm cancer free but perhaps 
not free of cancer. I have survivors guilt. Happy to be healthy but suffering through in silence because I'm not sick.  Thats screwed up I 
know it. Anyway having a hard time loving this "breast" of mine that's not me. It has no feeling ( like at the dentists) and looks like a 16 year 
olds and is kinda scary.....so me but not me. Those of you who are on a heartbreaking journey please forgive me. But this is what my 
journey looks like back from darkness and I thought it would be easy. On the flip side I love my plastic surgeon. She is funny and tiny and 
full of mischief.  Just what I love in life.  So off I go for a fill ( big syringe really surreal can't feel a thing) Here's to falsies!

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jan 8, 2020 7:50 pm

I’m not one for making resolutions either, Essjay‍ , but I do try to find a quiet hour or two every New Year’s Eve and write down a list of goals for my crafts. It might be finishing something I started a few years earlier, or something new I want to make in the coming year. I always leave a column for “also dids” because I know I’m going to get side-tracked and make a bunch of things I didn’t dream of on Dec. 31.

This year, I would like to get out in nature more, lose a little weight (10 pounds would be a start!), which of course requires eating a little better and exercising a little more. 
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by SpeedyStill on Jan 8, 2020 8:49 pm

There are a lot of resolutions I could make but I think the most important one for me right now is the following.
This may sound a bit corny but based on my situation and heath issues my resolution is to stay connected to this Community and reach 73 years old and bring in 2021 with a new resolution to bring in 2022.
My survival is living one day at a time. I joined this Community December 2018 and those days turned into more than a year.
So although I live one day at a time I may even live to a Century and get a letter from the Prime Minister.
We are what we think we are. 
Secondary resolution is to give back to others the love that I have recieved.
SpeedyStill 

Posted by Dave73 on Jan 9, 2020 9:41 am

Happy New Year 

im trying to eat better, and cut out the sweets for a while ( it’s not easy lol) trying to spend more time with my family, lastly try to keep positive attitude on life. One day at a time 
Dave

Posted by Lyne on Jan 9, 2020 9:44 am

My goal for 2020 is to get my house in order.  As I face the limitations of life ending, I want to be sure that I leave nothing unsaid or undone for my family and friends.
I would much prefer to be putting my actual house in order, but priorities change.
I try to write meaningful letters for my loved ones, but it is so difficult to put into words all that I want to share.  And the tears are not helping.
But I keep at it, in the hope that I will get it done.

I am still hopeful that I will see 2020 through and celebrate my daughter's graduation in 2021.  I have not given up, but I am reminded daily now that there are limitations...
So, I am living fully in addition to these letters to create memories that will remain important for my family.  Little expeditions and hopefully a trip or two are part of the plan as soon as I get the okay to fly.  Outings in and around Ontario and Quebec are also in the making for this summer...

2020 finds me at 60 discovering what I really like and dislike, and I must admit, I wish I had realized many things earlier in life.

I am focused on staying alive, with a good quality of life for as long as I can.  I would like to be the longest palliative care patient that existed :-D and why not?

Happy New year everyone!  

Posted by princessmaura on Jan 9, 2020 12:25 pm

I never make New Year's resolutions...if anything could make me change, it was my cancer diagnosis...thanks to everyone who has shared their New Year's resolutions...Happy New Year 2020...I'm going on five years post cancer diagnosis, this year...

Posted by SLM on Jan 9, 2020 5:38 pm

Happy 2020 Everyone!

As I mentioned in my Relay For Life group forum (Check out this group in the tab above and join !!!) ... I have put it out to the universe of my intention to be an active participate and team leader in my first Relay for Life event in my home town this year!  

My cancer, my rules!
I am the storm!
SLM

Posted by SpeedyStill on Jan 9, 2020 7:02 pm

Lyne‍ 
You are a brave person. Getting your feelings out is important and everyone should do that in there own way. Your loved ones however know from your good works how you feel about them.
Your daughter's graduation is a great forward looking goal.
I was given the time to spend with my granddaughter as a result of surviving Lymphoma. Now that she is on her own life journey I can only visualize the fun that we had together.
Visualize the fun times you have had over the years with your daughter. They can help you get to you desired goal.
It is great that you are planning fun times to create more memories.
Yes it is so true as we get older we realize what is truly important to us in life.
We can't change the past, we did the best we could with what we had at the time.
At the end of your post I love your attitude. Focused on living.
Have a great year,
SpeedyStill 

Posted by Treepeo on Jan 9, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi Lacey_adminCCS‍, 

This year I want to get through my bilateral mastectomy and radiation.  Then I plan to put my Fitbit back to better use by gradually increasing the amount of walking I do.  I also intend to carry on with eating more fruit and veggies.

I am currently trying to declutter my apartment and I will continue with that.  And at some point, I am going to take an amazing trip, place to be determined.

Most important, I am going to keep positive and find something good about every day.  Because life is too short not to enjoy it as much as possible.

Posted by Livelife on Jan 9, 2020 9:06 pm

Happy New Year Everyone. 

Someone mentioned in the thread "Let's leave 2019 behind and start afresh". That's pretty much what I intend to do in 2020, wish I could undo having cancer in the same stream 😀. 
My vision board for 2020 is attached. I try to keep it simple but intentional to achieve purpose and fulfillment in 2020. 

Attached files

Posted by Lyne on Jan 10, 2020 8:51 am

Thank you SpeedyStill‍ ,
It will indeed be a great year, no matter what!  I am lucky to have a strong support system, with people who offer unconditional love.
And it helps that they are willing to do rebel things to keep me/us entertain.

The graduation is certainly a goal, my daughter suffered from mental health issues for many years and I never thought that she would find her feet, and here she is now, making good decisions and moving forward with her life.  I am so proud of her and will do all that I can to make sure that I'm sitting right there in June 2021.

We talked about some of the experiences that we may not have together, such as her wedding, babies, etc.  but we are being creative and thinking up ways to make sure that she knows that I support her even if I may not be there.  Perhaps I'll share as we develop these ideas, just far fetched right now... LOL  

Have a wonderful 2020 also!  💗

Posted by Elsie13 on Jan 10, 2020 2:19 pm

I don't make any promises or resolutions as such, because sometimes circumstances change. We have been thinking of moving from Montreal to Oshawa, ON, for about 4 years. The year 2020 pans out very differently if we actually move. 
Anyway, either way, I hope to continue helping my husband with his volunteer work, with Canadian military veterans.  I hope to help people here in cancerconnection. One of the most important things seems to be saying hello to new people, even if I don't know anything about that particular cancer.   I think it really helps individuals to know that there are people here to connect with.  I want to keep going to the gym.  (If we moved I would have a long list of 'requirements' - near a gym, near a library, near a supermarket, etc! )  If we moved, many things would be on hold for some months, I imagine. 

A question for myself for 2020: How often do I want to write in my blog, and how often do I want to send letters to the editor?  One of the things I'm writing about is Quebec's Bill 21, the secular bill.  If a letter of mine gets published for example, I'll post that in a few Facebook pages, and the majority do not like what I wrote. A few people told me that I'm not a humanist, I'm a militant atheist. So if they mean like writer Christopher Hitchens, great, I wish I could write like that!  But I got so many negative comments, and of course my blood pressure is going up. (I used to be on meds for high-ish blood pressure).  Maybe I'll keep going with my writing, but not post to 3 Facebook sites at the same time. 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Wendy Tea on Jan 10, 2020 2:35 pm

Elsie13‍  I wish you well if you decide to move. Military veterans can use all the help they can get. They go through so much and receive little recognition and support.
People who are mean and rude anonymously on social media are intrinsically unhappy souls. Kindness makes the world go round and it's free.
Best wishes 
Wendy Tea 
I am a survivor. Wendy Tea

Posted by Essjay on Jan 10, 2020 3:07 pm

Really love your vision board Livelife‍ 
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018