Let's discuss...sun safety

Re: Let's discuss...sun safety

Posted by law on Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Hello Connection Family,
I try to remember to wear a hat with a wide brim and apply 50+ sun block before going outside...rain or shine.
I remember to apply the sun block also to my ears,face, back of the legs and neck, and ankles.....  all skin exposed to the sun.
I used to love laying out and getting tan...but with the ozone hole expanding, the sun rays are really much more damaging to us now. 🤥
Stay healthy!
law

Posted by LPPK on Jun 14, 2019 2:53 pm

In the article  Can the chemicals in sunscreen cause cancer?  the following sentences caught my attention... " A few studies have suggested that parabens act like estrogen in the body, which can speed up the growth of breast cancer tumours. We need more research to understand this association better.:"   Since  I don't want my sunscreen to counteract the effects of my Tamoxifen I checked the Tamoxifen Information sheet given to me by my medical oncologist.  "Use sunscreen with UVA and UVB protection and a SPF of at least 30"  No mention of problem ingredients. So should I be concerned?  

I've checked into Parabens and found they come with many names; methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, heptylparaben, ispropylparaben, plus others that don't include the name paraben; 4hyroxybenzoic acid, para-hdroxbenzoic acid, alkyl parahydroxy benzoates. 

The  sunscreen I use does not have parabens.  I will continue to check out ingedient lists of sunscreens as I am out shopping.  

I am wondering what sunscreen others on Tamoxifen are using.   Are you concerned your sunscreen might counteract your Tamoxifen? 

Posted by Minus2 on Jun 15, 2019 9:45 am

I am concerned about anything that may reduce or counteract the affect of the Tamoxifen LPPK‍  so this morning when I read your post, I checked my sunscreen.  Sure enough, 2 parabens in it.  Sigh.  So now I am on the hunt.  Thank you so much for the informative post.  Would you PM me with the name of the sunscreen you use?