Let's discuss...sun safety

Re: Let's discuss...sun safety

Posted by law on Jun 12, 2019 2:26 pm

Hello Connection Family,
I try to remember to wear a hat with a wide brim and apply 50+ sun block before going outside...rain or shine.
I remember to apply the sun block also to my ears,face, back of the legs and neck, and ankles.....  all skin exposed to the sun.
I used to love laying out and getting tan...but with the ozone hole expanding, the sun rays are really much more damaging to us now. 🤥
Stay healthy!
law

Posted by LPPK on Jun 14, 2019 2:53 pm

In the article  Can the chemicals in sunscreen cause cancer?  the following sentences caught my attention... " A few studies have suggested that parabens act like estrogen in the body, which can speed up the growth of breast cancer tumours. We need more research to understand this association better.:"   Since  I don't want my sunscreen to counteract the effects of my Tamoxifen I checked the Tamoxifen Information sheet given to me by my medical oncologist.  "Use sunscreen with UVA and UVB protection and a SPF of at least 30"  No mention of problem ingredients. So should I be concerned?  

I've checked into Parabens and found they come with many names; methylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, heptylparaben, ispropylparaben, plus others that don't include the name paraben; 4hyroxybenzoic acid, para-hdroxbenzoic acid, alkyl parahydroxy benzoates. 

The  sunscreen I use does not have parabens.  I will continue to check out ingedient lists of sunscreens as I am out shopping.  

I am wondering what sunscreen others on Tamoxifen are using.   Are you concerned your sunscreen might counteract your Tamoxifen? 

Posted by Minus2 on Jun 15, 2019 9:45 am

I am concerned about anything that may reduce or counteract the affect of the Tamoxifen LPPK‍  so this morning when I read your post, I checked my sunscreen.  Sure enough, 2 parabens in it.  Sigh.  So now I am on the hunt.  Thank you so much for the informative post.  Would you PM me with the name of the sunscreen you use?

Posted by LPPK on Jun 18, 2019 8:49 pm

According to the Canadian Dermatology Association...
Many people aged 60 or older face a high risk for developing skin cancer. If you are in this age group, you grew up in a time when little was known about how too much sun could cause skin cancer and premature aging of the skin. The truth is that it is never too late for sun protection. By protecting your skin from too much sun you can help prevent the onset of skin cancer and more sun damage to the skin. Keeping your skin healthy can help you enjoy your senior years to the fullest!

I find it helpful to know the UV index each day since I work outside most days.  
Low – UV Index 1-2
Minimal sun protection required for normal activity. Wear sunglasses on bright days and cover up and use sunscreen if outside for more than one hour.
Moderate – UV Index 3-5
Take precautions. If outside for 30 minutes or more, cover up, wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen and look for shade near midday when the sun is strongest.
High – UV Index 6-7
Protection required. Reduce sun exposure between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Take full precautions by covering up, wearing a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen.
Very High – UV Index 8-10
Extra precautions required. Avoid the sun between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Take full precautions by covering up, wearing a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. Unprotected skin will be damaged and can burn quickly.
Extreme – UV Index 11+
Take full precautions. Avoid the sun between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. Cover up, wear a hat, sunglasses and sunscreen. Unprotected skin will be damaged and can burn in minutes.

Posted by LPPK on Jun 18, 2019 8:56 pm

c8ddbda09535c52e7471158b587ad9c8-huge-su

Posted by Kims1961 on Jun 19, 2019 10:04 am

LPPK‍    Ha ha!  When a picture says a thousand words...  thank you

be76617c3ba2e54eea9e4325ea6b05fa.jpg (227Ã222)

Posted by Razma on Jun 19, 2019 9:33 pm

Hello everybody. Just wanted to share some an interesting app from EWG. It has a list of healthier sunscreens and you can even scan a UPC code and it will give you a rundown of the ingredients and their health risks. I don't know about all of you but around here the mosquitoes are terrible, and I was wondering which bug spray can be safely used as well. EWG also has a list of approved bug sprays, general rule being max 25% DEET to be effective, but it is a matter of personal preference as well. Here is the link to their website but the app can be found at Google Playstore or the Apple store 
https://www.ewg.org/
Enjoy your summer :)
Stephani

Posted by LPPK on Jun 22, 2019 8:57 am

Thanks for the link Razma‍ the info on bug spray is very timely for me.  The other day as I was applying my bug spray over my sunscreen I started wondering what harmful ingredients were in my bug spray.  I need to apply both as I work outside daily and need to consider sun safety, tick safety and warding off the deer flies and mosquitoes  . 

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 28, 2019 2:27 pm

A new article about UV protection in clothing:          https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/health-technology/are-summer-clothes-protecting-your-skin-sunburns

Posted by LPPK on Jul 28, 2019 2:39 pm

Thanks Elsie13‍ for the link.  I have no choice but to be out in the sun daily during April through October and have found that sun protective clothing, while at times hot, really helps me to stay protected.  

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 29, 2019 4:40 pm

LPPK‍  I see a lot of men working outside in summer, for example roofers, all kinds of construction workers, garbage collectors, gardening services.  Also a lot of young men and women work as life guards. This morning, the two young men doing the garbage pickup here were wearing the yellow sleeveless  vests, but no t-shirts!   I think they were working on their tans!  I wish they knew what danger they were in!  One of the instructors at the gym, I see him outside smoking sometimes!

Posted by LPPK on Aug 9, 2019 4:15 pm

Since I wear sun protective clothing all summer, this would be me.
922a5310aa7ccdd8a38f2f7a930c72fd-huge-su

Posted by Brighty on Aug 9, 2019 4:25 pm

LPPK‍  I love it! I was with 2 friends  last week.  We went to wards island.   One of them looked like she baked in the sun quite often.   I was concerned with  cancer and offered her sunscreen.   She said I was being negative  thinking of the sun being related to cancer.  She relates it to vitamin D not cancer and that I have a negative  way of thinking.   To me,it's just a fact and well researched.    Sun exposure causes skin damage and sometimes cancer.   I can't force them to use sunscreen but I certainly  will.