High levels of Radon detected in my home, scared of future.

High levels of Radon detected in my home, scared of future.

Posted by TwinDad on Dec 24, 2018 4:45 pm

Lived in my current house about for 9 years,  and I just learned about Radon. The thought that is terrifying me is that my kids are 5. I can't stop thinking I've doomed us all. My anxiety over it is so strong that I can't sleep and my chest hurts and I have nausea. I'm not sure who else to turn to. I have no one to talk to about it .

Re: High levels of Radon detected in my home, scared of future.

Posted by Elsie13 on Dec 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Hello, TwinDad‍ . I know very little about this. If you tell us a little bit more, maybe someone else will know who to turn to. What's the name of the organization/company that did the testing? What province are you in? I can see that this is very scary for a family with young children.  Cancer.ca has a number on articles on radon. 
http://www.cancer.ca/en/search/?q=Radon 
ACH2015‍ do you have suggestions for TwinDad?

Posted by TwinDad on Dec 24, 2018 11:24 pm

Tested ourselves with the use of the AirThings Wave. And just over a random week I got into the 400-500 range and I'm not confident that would be the worst .

Posted by ACH2015 on Dec 25, 2018 10:06 am

TwinDad‍ 

I'm replying from Elsie13‍s tag.

I've attached a link from the Government of Canada website that talks about monitoring guidelines for radon. Here is an excerpt from the link:

5.1 Measurement Strategy

Health Canada recommends that every homeowner test their home for radon through the placement of at least one long-term detector for a minimum of 3 months. Ideally, this testing period should be when indoor radon levels are highest. In Canada, this is typically during the heating season from October to April, when homeowners keep windows closed for extended periods of time, and the thermal stack effect (rising air currents due to buoyancy of air) that tends to draw in more radon gas from the soil is generally strongest.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiNlZvSnLvfAhUwrYMKHYaFDHwQFjALegQIChAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.canada.ca%2Fen%2Fhealth-canada%2Fservices%2Fpublications%2Fhealth-risks-safety%2Fguide-radon-measurements-residential-dwellings.html&usg=AOvVaw1BFZeVuYSlq8Md6X67gGld

There are many variables to look at (radon levels vs the time spend in those living areas) and the recommendations to move forward.

You can contact Health Canada for general enquiries in any one of the following ways:

By Mail:
Health Canada
Address Locator 0900C2
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0K9

Email: Info@hc-sc.gc.ca
Telephone: 613-957-2991
Toll free: 1-866-225-0709
Facsimile: 613-941-5366
Teletypewriter: 1-800-465-7735 (Service Canada)

Its always best to seek information from good sources. The Government link I provided is good general information and contains recommendations for reduction of the gas level.

Keep well, and let us know what you discover.

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by TwinDad on Dec 25, 2018 10:25 am

Thanks, I've read over all those links. Basically I'm completely strung out from Anxiety and I just can't cope with the thought of such exposure to my young Children. I'm really not sure how to proceed, other then fix the problem or move. Either way long term damage has already been done.

I should note, I've been I guess I would call myself a Hypochondriac ever since I had skin cancer removed from the back of my right calf (Luckily it was never determined to have progress past the immediate mole that was removed) and have been suffering with different forums of Anxiety and Stress for a long time.

Posted by Essjay on Dec 26, 2018 10:01 am

Hi TwinDad‍ I’m from the UK and lived in a high radon area. I worked for the agency that monitoried it among other things. The risks of radon are high in households where people smoke and where there is poor ventilation. So long as there is a vent of some sort in your house to outside (from the basement) and you don’t smoke, your risks are low. There’s no harm installing a monitor, but really the risks are low. There are greater risks to life than radon, and I encourage you not to worry unnecessarily. Best wishes

Posted by TwinDad on Dec 26, 2018 10:09 am

There really isn't much fresh air over the winter months .we don't smoke but we do sleep in the basement. Most of the day is outside or upstairs. My main fear is my 5 year old boys being exposed to it for their whole lives basically .

Share with your friends: