6 tips to spot cancer "fake news"

6 tips to spot cancer "fake news"

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 30, 2018 10:14 am

So what should you look out for when reading news about cancer research? Read more here.

Have you come across "Fake news"? 
What tips do you follow when researching cancer?
Who are your go to sources for information?

Re: 6 tips to spot cancer "fake news"

Posted by Warriorprincess on May 30, 2018 10:42 am

Good article Lacey_adminCCS‍ ! We tend to panic when were hear a cancer prognosis. Then we start to read. Easy to be mislead when in panic mode. Some very good advice to follow when doing our own research. 
Compassion has no limit , kindness has no enemy

Posted by Dielle on May 30, 2018 11:21 am

Great article.  Perhaps information on how to research and evaluate cancer news should be a part of every new patients information package, not only to keep themselves from going crazy but to avoid passing along myths and misinformation.

I like to look at the original source or study cited in an article for the attributes described in the article and then look for other studies on the same topic.  Sometimes, it can seem like there is a lot of support for a certain conclusion but all the articles about it come back to one study.  If an article or blog post does not cite any credible study I try to ignore it.  I must admit, though, it is very easy to get sucked in by either hope or fear.

When posting or passing along information I try to include a link to the source that people can evaluate the source of the information themselves.  If we all did that, or asked people where they got the evidence that x causes/cures cancer, it might help stamp out some of the persistent myths out there.  Here is another article to consider:  Don't believe the hype:  10 persistent myths about cancer debunked.

My go to resources are credible agencies focused on cancer or other medical research or knowledge:  Canadian Cancer Society, American Cancer Society, Mayo Clinic, breastcancer.org

Posted by jorola on May 30, 2018 7:18 pm

Love this. Thank you Lacey_adminCCS‍ ! I am with Dielle‍ - those are my main resources as well. But I will also add in National Cancer Institute at cancer.gov.
I watch for those papers/info put out by people/Universities that are never heard of and even have researched where they stand in ranking in the world when in comes to cancer research. Thanks to the the internet finding such information is easy. Also if it is just some random page from some random news group on FB - um no I do not take it as gospel but amazing to see how many people to and share the crap out of it. Bit of a pet peeve of mine. Yes get informed but hey ask yourself - who's informing you? The guy on the corner or the guy who has a mountain of doctorates behind him and years of research and scientific evidence to back up what he is saying?

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on May 30, 2018 8:22 pm

Agree with much that has been said here. A big thing I look for when researching/Dr Googling is the date. The cancer world is ever changing and if the article etc is over a year ( maybe 2 yrs ) I usually move on..

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Sep 29, 2018 2:21 pm

Good article.  Some of my friends thought the news about some women not needing chemo or radiation after cancer applied to all breast cancer cases!  I said "no it depends on the stage"  and "every case is different"  Rumors about cancer abound