Cancer and age!

Cancer and age!

Posted by Jessyjohn on Mar 5, 2018 10:47 pm

As I have told in my intro post that my son is suffering from cancer, I would like to know whether my next child will also be affected by cancer or not? Now I'm 8 weeks pregnant. Until now I and the baby are fine. To stay healthy I'm undergoing prenatal yoga too. Although all of us are eagerly waiting for the baby, I seriously doubt whether this child will also be affected by cancer. Although cancer can occur at any age, is there any possibility to identify it once the baby is inside mothers womb?

Re: Cancer and age!

Posted by Belanos on Mar 6, 2018 12:46 am

Jessyjohn‍ 

I'm pretty sure that's a question you'd need to ask your doctor. Cancer is very much a crap shoot, especially in young children. It's breakdown of a person's DNA which can happen randomly, and I don't believe there are any tests yet that can be used while the baby is still in the womb. I came across an article a short while ago where researchers announced the possibility of a blood test to find cancer at a very early point in it's development, but it's still at an experimental stage. A medical professional, especially an oncologist, would be able to tell you more.

Posted by Jessyjohn on Mar 6, 2018 1:06 am

Sure, will confirm it with the doctor. Thanks for the reply.
Would like to know is there a pediatric oncologist?

Posted by Belanos on Mar 6, 2018 5:22 am

Jessyjohn‍ 

I suspect that your best bet would be to connect with the Toronto Hospital for Sick Children. They're bound to have someone on staff with that kind of expertise:

http://www.sickkids.ca/

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Mar 6, 2018 10:36 am

Jessyjohn‍ 

I can definitely understand where you fear is coming from regarding your unborn child. Try to remember not all cancers are genetic. What type of cancer does your son have? I'm so sorry you are having to worry about this while also caring for your sick son.

You should definitely discuss your concerns with the provider who is looking after your pregnancy. Do you have an Obstetrician or Midwife? Your son's Oncologist may also be able to offer some insight. Where is he being treated?

I wish you a health pregnancy and hope you get the info you need to have some peace of mind.

Lacey

Posted by Jessyjohn on Mar 6, 2018 10:24 pm

Thanks Lacey for your prayerful wishes. My son is undergoing the treatment in one of the hospitals in Toronto. He is showing an improvement now.