Special Needs and Cancer

Special Needs and Cancer

Posted by Joe-Eddy on Feb 1, 2018 10:20 am

I am starting this discussion because I would like to know first off are you dealing with a special needs person in your life and how are they coping with the cancer. I have a 27 year old daughter who has special needs but is not mentally challenged other than immaturity, she is a non verbal communicator. I do not even know what that is like, imagine not being able to speak so that you were understood. My wife and I freak people out all the time because we know what the garbled speech and grunts and other sounds mean. However I am not sure how she is dealing with this, we have assured her daddy is not dying but is very sick and needs to go to the hospital for treatments to make him better. When we went for my mapping scan the other day we took her with us. We wanted to make sure she would understand where daddy was and that he was OK once the treatments start and I am away for the week days for seven weeks. We brought her in to the hospice and showed her where I would be staying and what I would be doing and I hope this will quell the anxiety I know she must have. Yesterday was Lets Talk Day and is all about talking to someone about your problems but what if you can not talk and to have others understand is a very troublesome process.
So are there any other members dealing with this and how are you coping with it. Cheers
Joe-Eddy Cancer Warrior

Re: Special Needs and Cancer

Posted by Elsie13 on Feb 2, 2018 5:57 pm

Joe-Eddy‍ I'm afraid I don't have an answer to your question.  Can I ask about something else - are you going to be staying in hospital for 5 days at a time? I remember you saying something, oh, you have to travel a long way for radiation, so you'll stay in a lodge? 

Re: Special Needs and Cancer

Posted by Joe-Eddy on Feb 2, 2018 6:03 pm

Yes Elsie13‍ I will be staying for the week. I live in North Bay and the Cancer Centre is in Sudbury which about 150km. away. So I will be staying at a place right in the hospital called Daffodil Terrace and the tour was something, all kinds of activities to involve yourself in. I will be live from treatment everyday until I can not do it. I keep being told between the third and fifth week, I will really start to feel it. Cheers 
Joe-Eddy Cancer Warrior