Accommodation - Victoria BC

Accommodation - Victoria BC

Posted by Al_XB on Jan 12, 2018 9:01 am

I live in Ontario and I am trying to find temporary (35 days) accommodation in Victoria BC during radiation treatment at the Jubilee Hospital for an elderly, female, family member. I am looking for a furnished “suite” with “respite” care, 2 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, small kitchen, fully wheelchair accessible with walk-in shower, seniors toilet, grab bars, etc.  

I am calling various Retirement Homes, but I was wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction in order to find assistance in such a search or if you know how to easily find such a place. 
Thanks. Al 

Re: Accommodation - Victoria BC

Posted by Al_XB on Jan 12, 2018 1:37 pm

I didn't get an immediate reply here, but I did get replies when I posted at "Introduce yourself".

This was a starting point  Community Services Locator 

Posted by Grammachapstick on Jan 13, 2018 11:50 pm

Al_XB,  I would contact the Community Care Accss Centre in Victoria.  They are the agency responsible for long term care placement.  They should be able to help with information about respite care and level of nursing care available.  I'm not aware of nursing homes in my area who offer suites or private showers.  Retirement residences have suites which include a private walk in shower.  They have some nursing care, so it would depend on how much help your family member needs.  Good luck!

Posted by Al_XB on Jan 14, 2018 11:00 am

Hello again, 
I searched a long time for nearby furnished apartments, B&Bs, AirBnBs, homes and hotels  but the main factor was a lack of elderly accessibility due to stairs or bathrooms. Note that the Vancouver Island Lodge was tentatively reserved by the Cancer Clinic but it is only a Monday to Friday facility which people should note. It also has shared occupancy. There are a lot of little issues that pop up. For us a long drive back and forth on weekends would not be pleasant. Eventually, I focussed on retirement places with independent living suites and 2 bedrooms plus walk in shower facility. Having the meals available in an in-house dining room also solves many problem for meals and you can ask for meal preferences.  The use of a wheelchair is a third factor you must consider in the room as well.  Amenities were not a big selection criteria although if you are the care giver, an exercise or computer room may be useful.  Finding a wheel chair accessible, two bedroom suite with a walk-in shower, wound care, and easy access to meals was our requirement. Health Care is now part of my search. There are some Retirement Residences that do have respite care or nursing care but not all do. Having a nurse on duty would be an added bonus and the Kensington Place seemed to fit the bill, but no rooms were available for the treatment period.  Instead we will try for an independent living residence equipped for elderly seniors (grab bars, one level, etc.) and then contract for Home Care with a company to get the type of care we need. Another issue that popped up was having availability to an on call Doctor in case there is an emergency. So that is where I am at so far. Hope this helps others with the same issues.

Posted by Al_XB on Feb 3, 2018 4:57 pm

I want to conclude my feedback on my Accomodation - Victoria B.C. thread with a bit of a summary.  We ended up at an independent living residence called "Ross Place". (www.rossplace.ca)  The General Manager was Andrew Trinder who helped me a great deal. The residence was owned by Chartwell but it is now owned by the Vancouver Resource Society ( www.vrs.org ) as a not for profit organization. The suites were extremely reasonable at $70/day and the meals were $25/day (Feb 2018 prices). Other places were $120-130/day.  The guest accomodation was spacious with full fridge, microwave, TV, couches, single bed, walk in shower, grab bars, etc. A wearable emergency button was also provided for my step-mom. There were lots of amenities such as laundry rooms on each floor and exercise room, games room, and lounges. Internet wi-fi was available in the lounges and not in the rooms unless you paid for it. I also asked for a toilet extension and they provided one as well as a stool for the shower. Other places had a two week minimum, but we were only at Ross Place from a Wednesday to a Tuesday for five treatments at the Royal Jubilee. For the first three days, I had to stay at the Sandman Hotel ($126/night for room only at the senior rate. They had three accessible rooms but the showers were not walk-in which we needed). The Sandman is about 2 blocks away. Andrew found a guest suite for myself which was located near my step-mother for the last three nights.  Guests can buy their meal tickets at $6 for breakfast, $8 for lunch, and $12 for dinner. The meals were substantial and quite good. What else? Tim Hortons and BC liquor store nearby. Parking in a lot with coded entrance gate. Tray service was extremely convenient as well. Filled in a form for the meals on a tray (there were alternative meal choices as well) and you could pick it up at no cost. Other residences wanted $8 for tray service but they wouldn't charge if you picked it up and returned the tray. I would recommend Ross Place if you need a place to stay in Victoria which is about 15 minute drive to the Jubilee on Hillside, then down Shelbourne and left on Bay for the Cancer Clinic entrance. Parking cost at the Jubilee was $1.50 / hr and you simply punch in the car stall #, purchase ticket and deposit your change. You don't have to return to put the ticket on the dash. Hope this info helps someone else.

Posted by Al_XB on Feb 4, 2018 10:01 am

I forgot to mention that we used Serenity Home Care for "care aid" in the morning and evening. There were other organizations like We Care and Bayshore and a two hour minimum was charged because of our short notice. As a result we didn't get the same "support" person each time and communication on schedule changes was a problem.  Best to call the office rather than arrange with the "support" person.  2 hours was only useful if you needed a shower with hair wash plus wound & skin care from the radiation and getting dressed. 1 hour was adequate for simply getting someone washed and dressed in the morning.  There is also a level to the support service which affects the price. One level is "companion", the next level is "care aid" and the next level is "Licenced Practical Nurse (LPN)". This terminology may change from province to province or city to city. Toiletting or putting on a bandage would need a "care aid".  A "companion" could do shopping, meal preparations, showers. And the LPN would administer medications. All this was greek to me, so you have to discuss what is needed in detail with your home care provider. It is useful to figure out exactly what you want the "companion" or "care aid" person to do such as picking up the meal tray, meal preparation, doing laundry, doing unpacking and packing, making the bed, showers, applying cream and bandaging, dressing for bed, etc..The timing of meal pick up did conflict with the care aid arrival at the beginning and we had to change it for the morning breakfast and evening meal. The radiation treatment times were also changed, and that can add to schedule juggling. Overall, communication with the independent living residence and the home care organization is key to success. 
Cheers, 

Posted by mrstoa on Nov 17, 2018 2:40 pm

thank you for your post. I've been worried about these details since diagnosis and fact i will be alone in victoria.
also I do not drive so perhaps the sandman inn is more suitable? or another within walking distance? or short taxi drive.
did they have "suites" 
I especially need internet available.
was the sandman near tim hortons?
driving back and forth on weekends would be tiring too.
my surgeon said the cancer clinic would take care of all these details. 
after 10 days waiting to hear from them am wondering i should begin sourcing things myself.
waiting is worrying to say the least thanks again for all your info. and sorry to plague you with more questions
and also keyboard is acting up!
thanks
Jacqueline

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Nov 17, 2018 5:00 pm

Hello Jacqueline  mrstoa‍ 

I wanted to give you a link to the Canadian Cancer Society's lodge in Victoria  here

They are across the street from Royal Jubilee and walking distance from the BC Cancer clinic. Cost is about $55 per night which includes meals.
The link I posted here has a phone number for reservations if you are interested.
Do you have an idea of when your treatment will start?

Lianne

Posted by NannaM on Nov 18, 2018 10:20 am

Hi there, just a thought, do they have the Freemasons Driver Program in Victoria? They were so awesome for me here in vancouver.

Posted by Al_XB on Nov 19, 2018 8:51 am

mrstoa:
thank you for your post. I've been worried about these details since diagnosis and fact i will be alone in victoria.
also I do not drive so perhaps the sandman inn is more suitable? or another within walking distance? or short taxi drive.
did they have "suites" 
I especially need internet available.
was the sandman near tim hortons?
driving back and forth on weekends would be tiring too.
my surgeon said the cancer clinic would take care of all these details. 
after 10 days waiting to hear from them am wondering i should begin sourcing things myself.
waiting is worrying to say the least thanks again for all your info. and sorry to plague you with more questions
and also keyboard is acting up!
thanks
Jacqueline

The Cancer Clinic Vancouver Island Lodge accommodation closes on the weekend and our schedule was over two weeks.  So we also didn't want to drive up Island and then back.
Privacy concerns were also an issue as the lodge didn't have a private room for her at the time.
So I would recommend Ross Place rather than the Sandman in your case. I did stay at both. They have a laundry room facility (bring your own detergent) on each floor which the Sandman didn't.  Ross Place also had a better walk in shower which was very important because of the risks. You can get your food delivered to your room at Ross Place. The cost included room and meals whereas the same cost just gave you a room at the Sandman. They are also better prepared for medical issues at Ross Place whereas the Sandman definitely wasn't. There is a trained nurse at Ross Place so they can take care of emergencies. I believe Ross Place has a van that might transport you to the hospital but the Sandman doesn't.  http://www.rossplace.ca/amenities.html  You would have to call Ross Place for more details on the amenities you need. (250) 381-8666  or  info@rossplace.ca   Ross Place does have wi-fi but it is accessible from the lounge areas, not your room. The west side lounge was usually empty, so it always had lots of coffee and cookies.  The Sandman's "accessibility suites" did have wi-fi in the room but you have to go out for meals. If you are addicted to Tim Horton's it is across a laneway (Ross lane) from Ross Place.  Use Google maps and find the corner of Ross Lane and Hillside to look around the area.  Hope this helps.

Posted by Gwammalou on Nov 19, 2018 8:56 am

Good morning, I recently finished a month of radiation in Victoria at the BC Cancer Clinic and stayed at the Vancouver Island Lodge. I would highly recommend, it is economical and only a 5 minute walk for your treatment each day. They do offer a shuttle service every 1/2 hour if needed. The meals and tea times were great, the atmosphere relaxed and welcoming with several lounges, TV's, computer (wifi too) activities etc. It was comforting to go through this with so many others dealing with cancer, I met so many caring people while down there. Of course the downside is having to check out each Friday as closed for the weekend but I used the Freemason Cancer car Program and could not have been happier. They picked me up at my home in Comox and drove me to Victoria on Monday a.m and then drove me back on Friday afternoon after my treatment. They have a nice vans or buses depending on the numbers needing rides on the Island and everything is planned and confirmed in advance and its free! Donations accepted of course.  I had really been dreading my time away from my home but overall it turned out to be a wonderful experience all things considered. https://fccp-bcy.weebly.com/

Share with your friends: