Travelling with Cancer

Travelling with Cancer

Posted by CanadianGypsy on Oct 6, 2014 6:13 pm

My dad (77 yrs young) has been diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer which has spread to his bones.  He is undegoing treatment (chemo) currently.  He has been given 12 months more or less.  My brother & I along with our spouses would like to take a trip in January with our parents.  The intent of the trip would be to spend time together without the distractions of our everyday lives and spend quality time with our dad (and Mom).  We have discussed going on a cruise.  None of us have been on a cruise before & we thought it might be a good fit for us, especially since Dad could nap whenever he felt like it & partake in whatever activities he felt up to.  Also, going somewhere warm is sort of a must in January.  :)
I have been told that getting travel insurance is difficult for cancer patients, but after doing a bit of research I am finding that travel insurance is available but will not cover any cancer related issues.  I must add that my hubby is an RN and more than capable to administering meds, etc.
Does this sound like a good idea?  Crazy?  Too much for my dad?  Or something that would benefit us all?
Really would like some feedback from those who have been there.
Thank you!

Re: Travelling with Cancer

Posted by Nicole_admin on Oct 9, 2014 4:50 pm

Hi CanadianGypsy, that sounds like a really lovely idea to travel together as a family. It would also be a great way to create new memories together, and as you mentioned spend some quality time together (minus the distractions of everyday life). Have you spoken with your dad's doctor about the possibility of travelling? Here's an older discussion we have on this community about travel insurance, you may find it to be a helpful read.

Have any other members experienced navigating travel insurance during a cancer experience?

Posted by GatineauHills on Jan 18, 2015 9:31 am

CanadianGypsy - I'm sorry to hear about your dad, and hope that your January travel plans are happening/happened.
I was wondering if you (or anyone else reading this) ever resolved this. My wife has stage 4 pancreatic cancer and we'd like to take a last minute trip to the heat in February. I have looked through the previous threads on this subject (thanks Nicole), but didn't find anything conclusive.
I would really like to book this trip today, but can't seem to find any definitive answers. My wife has been on chemo since October (treatment cycles of two weeks on - one week off). Obviously this qualifies as a pre-existing condition, but we really need to get away, and I certainly can't afford any emergency repatriation or other medical needs.
This is the one ray of sunshine (litterally) left and there's enough stress with looking after her 24/7, don't really need extra stress of spending hours that I don't have scouring the Internet for something that must have been done before.

Much appreciate any help in the form of links to definitive insurance solutions.

Posted by jm on Feb 8, 2016 5:22 pm

Hi I am travelling with a friend who has cancer which is not in remission (or stable as the insurance companies call it). My travel agent could not offer her insurance but suggested I go to RBC Insurance. They were able to help with unlimited emergency travel insurance protection for anything not related to her current condition provided she has a valid provincial health card (which she does). The process was quick and painless and relatively inexpensive.

Posted by Saundra on Feb 24, 2016 7:23 pm

My husband has stage four pancreatic cancer, and his oncologist strongly recommended that we not leave Canada.  It has been a difficult year and a half as travel was one of the activities that defined us.  We were lead to believe that even with insuarance, they would always try and use the cancer and not honour the claim.

Posted by taxwizz on Jun 10, 2016 9:31 am

Has anyone ever used or heard of AwayCare insurance?

They quoted very reasonable fee, but I know nothing about them.