+ Reply
Hair and Skin Care after Cancer treatment
rtama
58 Posts

Good morning,

I was diagnosed in May 2022 with ER/PR+ and HER2- breast cancer, completed lumpectomy, chemo (TC 5 rounds) and radiation (20 rounds). Currently on Aromatase Inhibitor (Exemestane) and ovary suppression medication as part of post-active treatment.

I am looking to bring back some normalcy in my life, and am looking for suggestions on good skin care and hair care. My hair is growing back grey and wavy and the growth is slow. There are so many products in the market that it gets confusing to opt for the right one. Is it preferred to select all organic and natural products, that are too pricey, to avoid the risk of recurrence of any type of cancer. Thanks.

6 Replies

@rtama

Your treatment was similar to mine. I did Exemestane as well. Are you tolerating it okay?

My hair came back grey ( to be honest, I was dying my roots before chemo ) and I eventually dyed it. It was also curly and wiry for a while. I just used a good conditioner but I know there are shampoos and conditioners designed for “silver” hair so maybe that is an option. I also found my skin to be dry. I use Vichy products and really like them. I try to stay away from products with parabens . That is a personal choice. Here is what cancer.ca has to say about it - A few studies have suggested that parabens act like estrogen in the body, which can speed up the growth of breast cancer tumours. We need more research to understand this association better.

There are some organic and more natural products out there that are not too expensive. It just means doing a little research, reading labels etc.

I wish you well in your return to some sense of normalcy, although sometimes normal is overrated 😊

Lianne

Bbacon
10 Posts

@rtama Capilia Victoria is where my sister went to get a wig and they were fabulous! The hair products ARE PRICEY, but they explained the “chemo hair” and why it is curly afterwards but they products they recommend using throughout the treatments prevent the coiling or curling of the hair follicle as well as stimulate the hair regrowth. Her roommate at the Vancouver Cancer clinic was a couple cycles ahead of my sister and she ordered the products and started using them. 2 different systems for during and after treatments and now she's 6 weeks passed her last chemo and has about ¼" to ½" of very soft straight hair… looks and feels great. If you have any health coverage they would cover some of it or you could look into the Answers Program which helps Cancer patients with financial hardships. If you haven't heard of them ask your oncologist.

Good luck! All the best for your recovery!

rtama
58 Posts

@Bbacon

Thank you for the information.

rtama
58 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator

Thank you Lianne. So far Exemestane is going well. I have some lower leg muscle pain at the end of the day when I started the medication and now have bad knee pain. My family doctor does not think it is because of the meds as no other joints are paining. I have been recommended physio. Waiting to see how this unfolds.

@rtama
I hope you can find ways to manage the knee pain.

Take care

Lianne

+ Reply