+ Reply
Letrozole - first day today
nel
46 Posts

Hello. My treatment break have been extended another three months. When I asked my oncologist if I need a maintenance, he said he will put me in Letrozole.

I got diagnosed with FIGO grade 1 on December 2020, had THBSO surgery on February 2021. I got diagnosed with recurred endometrial cancer 8 momths later. I have High Grade Serous Carcinoma, four sessions of chemo (carbo and palitaxil) did not worked as my tumor grew even bigger. I had three sessions of immunotherapy (keytruda and lenvima), but it got so toxic, i had to stop the treatment immediately. I have been on treatment break since April 2022. For the meantime, I got diagnosed with ER+ HER2- breast cancer and had a left breast mastectomy two months ago. No further other treatment for my breast cancer.

I am planning on a slow re-entry at work in-person. I have been working from home full time during my diagnoses and treatments.

My question is: Is there anyone else with the same condition who's taking Lotrozole as maintenance therapy?
How do you handle side effects such as fatigue, aches andpains?

How about bone loss and hair loss?

Can you advise any vitamins and supplements that I could take?

Today is my first day of Letrozole. I took it at 5:30pm. It's my birthday tomorrow. I will be 55 years old. I am a widow of ten years and have two adult children.

8 Replies

@nel
Happy Birthday!

How are you feeling today? That first pill can be a lot - mostly for me it was emotional. I was diagnosed in 2010 and was pre menopausal so did 4.5 years on Tamoxifen then was started on Letrozole. Over the course of the first year or so I tried all the AI's ( Aromotase Inhibitors of which Letrozole is one ) and settled on Exemestane. I took AI's for another 4 years. It is just what worked for me and my body composition. When I started, I had a meeting with the pharmacist at the cancer clinic who told me to take calcium and vitamin D as these drugs can be hard on the bones. I also took Magnesium - actually I still take all these things. Have you or are you able to talk with your pharmacist and/or oncologist about supplements for you?

Lianne

#Letrozole

Skye2
341 Posts

@nel
Hi Abel,

Oh my goodness, you are one tough lady!

I started Letrozole this past summer. My hair thinned quite a bit, my hot flashes got even worse, and I have some dizziness as well as joint stiffness, mostly in my knees and hips.

I was advised by my oncologist to take calcium and vitamin D for the bones.

Letrozole also causes elevated cholesterol, so watch your fat intake.

I find warm soaks in the tub help with my sore joints (with or without Epsom salts), and I had to start Effexor 75 mgs to counteract the hot flashes- I couldn’t stand it!!! The Effexor works really well unless I eat something spicy or indulge in a glass of red wine. I definitely sleep much better with it!

I hope this helps!

Sue

Skye2
341 Posts

@nel
…sorry! I didn’t spellcheck my reply! …not “Abel”… Nel!!!

Sue

nel
46 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator
Thanks for your reply. My body seem fine with letrozole. There are aches and pains that go around, some days, on my toes, some days on my fingers or on my lower back and the back of my neck. But I seem to be handling it well. I take it at 6pm everyday. I have not talked about the other side effects (bone loss) with my oncologist yet. I will have a meeting on December 28, I hope it push through as I have been bumped twice now. I will schedule an appointment with my naturopath cancer care soon. I am having a weekly infusion of high dose of vitamin c (with calcium, magnesium and potassium) and mistletoe injection twice weekly to boost my immune system. I am taking Vitamin D 4000ui as well. Pharmacist said I can continue taking these. He just asked me to discontinue Ashwaghanda and corcumin.

But these naturopathic cancer care is really expensive but I just can't seem to discontinue it. I feel it is helping my immune system fight the cancer cells, the reason why I am stable right now. Not cancer free, but stable. I will take that.

The one thing that is bothering me is the interrupted sleep almost every night. No matter how early or late I sleep, I seem to be consistently waking up around 1am or 3am and could not get back to sleep again.

nel
46 Posts

@Skye2
Thanks for your advice and yes, I will soak in warm bath with epsom salt. I love warm baths. For some reason, chemotherapy messed up my taste bud for wine. I taste only bitterness and nothing else.

Will regularly see my GP for my cholesterol count. I am keeping an eye on my blood sugar and blood pressure as I have the gadget for those. BP seemed to raise a bit as well.

@nel
I am glad you are handling it for the most part. I hope you can get your sleep sorted out. Keep track of all that you are experiencing and taking so you can share it with the oncologist at your appointment.

Update us as you are able.

Lianne

grizz
22 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator
Hi again Merry Christmas I would like to just vent if I can please I tried Letrozole before Christmas but the side effects were horrific I wanted to have a good Christmas with family I am suppose to go back on it but I have so many appointments plus an endoscopy plus a surgery I know if I started again I would not feel well enough to even move I have been dealing with no sleep hardly which is normal but also s situation where our manager of our apt building will not evict the tenants next to us who are so noisey Thst has bean going on 1 year and a half I am severely depressed and have so much anxiety right now My biggest fear is the sore throat and cough for over 2 months My doctor said it was post covid cough Of course I think of the worst cancer I do not family to vent to I do not want my children to worry Any suggestions I am going to the docs Thursday so she can check my breasts so hopefully get some answers Thank you for listening Take care

@grizz
Hello - I am so sorry I missed this post and am just seeing it now.

Where are you at with everything now? How are you today?

Lianne

+ Reply