+ Reply
Proper bras after lumpectomy
Jonaleeca
20 Posts

I met with my oncologist today and mentioned that the incision under my arm is still tender and my breast is still red and heavy. She said I have a bit of lymphedema and should consider wearing a different kind of bra like a sports bra. Does anyone in the Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph area know of a good store where the staff is knowledgeable about proper fitting bras following a lumpectomy?

Thanks for your help.

8 Replies
Cynthia Mac
4127 Posts
Hi, Jonaleeca‍ you can try the community services locator csl.cancer.ca - they might have such a store listed. Another place you could try that people might not think of would be a store that sells medical uniforms - My mom used to go to a specialty bra shop and it had a uniform shop attached to it.

It’s a long way, but there is one in south Barrie, and I see Vicanie’s in Waterloo who speak on their website about serving customers who have had mastectomies.
Jonaleeca
20 Posts

@Cynthia Mac thank you for your suggestions. As it happens I was watching a video on how to do lymphatic drainage massage and the therapist mentioned that if you have breast swelling that it would be best to wear a compression bra. After reading up on this it made perfect sense. All I was told was to not wear a bra with underwire or to wear a sports bra. Sports bras may not address the areas of where a person is experiencing lymphedema so it is best to have a proper compression bra. I did find a place in Kitchener that has such garments. I also found a RMT who does lymphatic drainage massage so I feel like I hit the jackpot.

Bcancer22
1 Posts
Hi
i had a lumpectomy too. This was recommended by my physio and it is great

Body med boutique in Burlington is great! Ask for the “prairie compression bra”
Hope this helps
Kathie
Terry52
54 Posts

@Jonaleeca
Hi Jonaleeca, try looking up Amoena. They deal with bras for lumpectomies and mastectomies. I know a dealer is in Barrie, but the map also showed many retailers further south. Hope this helps.

Terry

Jonaleeca
20 Posts

@Bcancer22 Thank you. I will check it out.

Jonaleeca
20 Posts

@Terry52 Thanks…I have seen this name a lot so I will definitely check it out.

Niche
3 Posts

@Jonaleeca Hi! I recently had lumpectomy and prior to that went to Twin Sisters Mastectomy boutique 440 Brown’s line, in etobicoke. I was very satisfied with what i got.
what you will get at these types of specialty boutiques will be much better than sports bra. You can also google Amoena bras and they have a list of boutiques you may have closer to kw area!

hope this is helpful!

Niche

Jonaleeca
20 Posts

@Niche Thank you. I will be looking into a boutique closer to home. It is great to have brand names to ask for.

+ Reply