+ Reply
looking for breast forms mastectomy prosthesis recommendations
Bre*
13 Posts

Hello all,

I'm having the implant that was put in during my mastectomy reconstruction removed. It's very uncomfortable and not very attractive so out it comes. The stores in the lower mainland of BC that sell these are charging between $350 to $550 for one prosthesis. Kind of like the $550 I paid for my wig that I never wore. So I was wondering if these prices are really worth it, or has anyone order from an online provider and were satisfied with the result. I think I might be able to claim some amount on our extended medical insurance, but I just don't want to support stores that charge these expensive prices to those of us that want to purchase products that might make us feel or look a little like our old selves.

Thanks a bunch

8 Replies

@Bre*
Hello

I wanted to share a resource with you through CCS - the Breast prosthesis program. Parts of the program were suspended during covid and they were only supplying breast puffs and bras. Not sure when the rest is resuming but here is a link to the information

https://cancer.ca/en/living-with-cancer/how-we-can-help/wig-and-breast-prosthesis-service

Here is a website with information of many of the different options available as well just for your information - https://www.amoena.com/ca-en/

You may also want to call our Cancer Information Helpline about breast form resources. They can be reached at 1-888-939-3333 and can provide further clarity.

Do you have a date set for the removal?

Lianne

Bre*
13 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator
Thank you very much Lianne.

I appreciate the information and I will look into each of these.

Waiting to hear from the plastic surgeons office on the date.

Cheers

Dar73
4 Posts

@Bre* Good morning, I also purchased breast prothesis though a medical store in my community. My medical insurance covered a large portion of the prothesis but i did not have the $900 to put up front. My breast clinic called on my behalf and the medical store allowed me to purchase and pay for them when my insurance came in. Otherwise I wouldn't have got any at the time as money was super tight. They were the amoena brand and they were so real feeling and looked beautiful. I always had wonderful support from my breast clinic and if you call them I am sure they would have lots of suggestions for you to help out in most situations. Also you can order online from www.lavieenrose.ca they have beautiful mastecomy bras and they have the prothesis that is removable so if you only need one side or both sides you can use them. They go on sale sometimes and are very afforable. Hope this helps.

whyme
11 Posts

@Bre* I went to a health store where I live in Ontario. I was shocked at the price of a prothesis. At first I thought it was $38.00, then I realized I missed a “0”. - $380.00. That is crazy. Anyway, I settled for the breast forms for swimming - they were $106.00 each so I bought 2. I had a bi-lateral masectomy in May. I bought a lovely masectomy bra for $62.00 + tax at that store because it is good to get the right fit. I then decided to check Amazon. My husband did not want me to get anything from them but I never listen. I ordered 2 prothesis For $35.00 each and they were very similar to the ones at the health store. They are great and I have not developed a rash or anything from them! Amazon has a lot of different products to pick from. At least check around. Maybe the health stores are better products but it almost seems like gouging the consumer. I don't mind paying $100.00 for one but definitely not $300.00!!!! Good luck with your search.

@whyme I bought a silicone prosthesis from Amazon which is eerily similar in size and shape to my natural breast! I’m not using it yet as I’m just 2 weeks post surgery but I think it’s going to do the trick. It was under $40. I also got a very comfortable mastectomy bra, again under $40, that I’m currently using with a soft polyfil if I go out.
The silicone prosthesis is fairly heavy but I think they all are. I ordered a mastectomy sports bra that should arrive soon. I’ll report back on that. All these products appear to be good quality and reasonably priced. I’m going to check out a specialty store here in Victoria once I’m fully healed to compare the $400 critters to the $40 ones. I’ll review whence that is done. Stay riveted ;)

@Bre* @Dar73 @whyme @islandgirltoo and anyone
I also wanted to mention about Knitted Knockers https://knittedknockerscanada.com/ These are FREE knitted breast forms and many women prefer these over others for their lightweight etc. Might be worth checking out also

Lianne

Dar73
4 Posts

@Lianne_Moderator
yes knitted knockers are wonderful. I remember when i got mine i was so excited and giggly. It really made me feel so much better.

Bre*
13 Posts

@Dar73
Thank you all ladies.

+ Reply