+ Reply
Reflecting on the last 365 days
Sadie12
68 Posts

Exactly one year ago today, I had ‘the call’ from the gynecologist who told me that I had High Grade Ovarian Serous Cancer (later defined as Stage 3) and that I would need to have surgery in a different city, with care by a surgeon\oncologist there. Yes, COVID-cancer, meant a phone call from a doctor I had met once. I actually said ‘Thank you’, with no questions, other than ‘Does High Grade mean aggressive?'. Then, I got off the phone and just started thinking how my husband and I would manage with a 5 year old and a 19 day old to look after (we raise our grandsons).

So, just sitting here, while the baby naps, being grateful that we all managed. I am free of active cancer, the boys are doing well, I found out that the universe provided what we needed to manage and I found out how strong my husband and I are. I also learned a lot about caring for myself as much as I care for others.

Just wanted to share. I probably posted this in the wrong discussion area. I wish that someone who just got ‘the call’ and is standing where I was at this time last year, could see this and feel that everything will be okay.

Sadie

17 Replies
supersu
499 Posts

@Sadie12

thank you for letting us get a glimpse into your happy home while the baby naps--the visual I conjure up at your words is so calming & hopeful. babies really are the bees knees, and it sounds like your home is really a special place.

happy to hear that your story is moving along in such a positive direction. when we have no choice, its easy to be strong, right??!! ha ha. you and your hubby sound like a good team.

there is no doubt in my mind that this post has come at just the right time for someone else who is now where you were 365 days ago.

I hope things continue to go well there. never hesitate to post such happy news---and cute kid pictures are also always welcome.

hugs
su

#COVIDcancer #1yearanniversary #ovariancancer #stage3

Birch15
104 Posts

Thank you for sharing this @Sadie12. What you said about the universe providing what you need struck me as so comforting. I will keep this in mind as I plod along, finding my way after active treatment.

Throughout all our worries about the future things always turn out the way they should. It’ll be almost one year ago that I got the phone call that said my scans confirmed cancer and I started my whirlwind year of diagnostics and then treatment.

All the best!

@Sadie12

Such a wonderful post to read. I too loved what you said about the universe giving you what you need. I remember when I was diagnosed ( 11 years ago so quite far back in my rear view mirror now ) and someone said to me “I don't how you do it, I could never do that” That person was just diagnosed and guess what…they are doing it. We play the hand we are dealt.

I love that you took this time to look back and reflect where you were and where you are now.

Thanks so much for sharing.

Lianne

Cynthia Mac
3336 Posts
Thanks for sharing, Sadie12‍ . September 28, 2020 was a life-changing day in my world, too. A year later, like you, I look back and see that The Universe does, indeed, provide.

Thanks for sharing your story.

DSJ
18 Posts

Thank you. Messages like yours give all of us hope.

SQLC
17 Posts

@Sadie12

Thanks for sharing. I have found that since my husbands diagnosis I want everything to happen immediately. I find waiting really hard, but you are right the universe does give us what we need and I am going to try to be more patient. My daughter is a single Mom and I help her with two young children. My friends always say “I don't know how you do it” but you do what you have to. I am grateful for all that I have.

dunder70
7 Posts

Ovarian cancer

dunder70
7 Posts

I was just diagnosed with High Grade Serous Carcinoma also…..after dealing with my husband with stage 4 lung cancer for the last year. I go for my 1st chemo on Friday, then to Vancouver (a different city many miles away) for a hysterectomy and a port put in my belly, then more chemo after that. I am so thankful it was caught early (stage 1) and have hope that it will be removed. It has been an emotional rollercoaster so far. I know I'll be losing my hair which is devastating to me, but looking for head coverings, wigs, whatever will get me through the next phase.

Any advice as to where to go or look?

dunder70
7 Posts

Thank you for sharing your journey, Sadie and glad to hear you are free!

Hello @dunder70 . I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis and that you have to travel for treatment.

Canadian Cancer Society has a cancer information Helpline at 1-888-939-3333. If you call them and tell them you will be in Vancouver, they may be able to put you in touch with the Vancouver Lodge if you need somewhere to stay but they also have a free wig bank there where you could attain a wig. The wig bank may be by appointment right now so thought I would mention this so you could possibly work in that while you are in town. BC Cancer also has scarves and hats for free ( and sometimes wigs ) so that might be worth checking out as well.

Wishing you well with your upcoming chemo on Friday and for your surgery. Do you have a date yet for surgery?

Thinking of you

Lianne

Sadie12:

Exactly one year ago today, I had ‘the call’ from the gynecologist who told me that I had High Grade Ovarian Serous Cancer (later defined as Stage 3) and that I would need to have surgery in a different city, with care by a surgeon\oncologist there. Yes, COVID-cancer, meant a phone call from a doctor I had met once. I actually said ‘Thank you’, with no questions, other than ‘Does High Grade mean aggressive?'. Then, I got off the phone and just started thinking how my husband and I would manage with a 5 year old and a 19 day old to look after (we raise our grandsons).

So, just sitting here, while the baby naps, being grateful that we all managed. I am free of active cancer, the boys are doing well, I found out that the universe provided what we needed to manage and I found out how strong my husband and I are. I also learned a lot about caring for myself as much as I care for others.

Just wanted to share. I probably posted this in the wrong discussion area. I wish that someone who just got ‘the call’ and is standing where I was at this time last year, could see this and feel that everything will be okay.

Sadie

Is there a separate group for ovarian cancer please, I need support, I'm not good at navigating this site. Thanks

Runner Girl
2135 Posts

@KeeponKeepingon

Try this link its to the Cervical Cancer Forums https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewcategory/62

LC2021
18 Posts

@dunder70 – wow – lots for you to have been through and to get through. I have a good friend who just finished chemo and lost all her hair, and she found a place in Cloverdale where she bought all of her hats / head coverings. Sorry I don't know the name of it, but someone on here may know it …… all the best !

Sadie12
68 Posts

Hello @dunder70

So sorry that you are going through this at the same time as supporting your husband.

I did get a freebie wig through the cancer society free wig loan. It was actually very nice. I also bought a very expensive wig through my benefit plan. Online, of course, during the height of the pandemic - I wasn't travelling to the city with the wig store. So, I wasn't in love with that wig.

I spent a small fortune on head coverings through Amazon. This is one of my favourites:

and another

but there are all kinds on Amazon and also on Etsy

Best of luck with your treatments.

Sadie

Sadie12
68 Posts

@KeeponKeepingon

Go to Forums , then Cancer Types, then Ovarian

Best of luck.

Sadie

dunder70
7 Posts