+ Reply
Sudden Intolerance and allergies to food
lost_soul
13 Posts
Has anyone ever had a Stem cell transplant and all of a sudden can't eat certain foods and new allergic reactions to stuff you normal aren't.. i'm still trying to figure things out. I've also noticed that i have to cook the food before eating it and if eaten raw, have diahrrea and nausea.. but all in all.. I can manage to eat as normal as possible..
8 Replies
lost_soul‍ Welcome to the site and thank you for reaching out for answers. Without any personal experience with stem cell transplants, I can only imagine that new intolerances and food allergies could be very normal considering what you are going through. Having said that, I am going to tag LucyK‍ and KenD‍ who may be willing to share their experiences.

I'm glad to hear that you can continue to eat somewhat normally. Hopefully none of the "certain foods" are any of your favourites. :-)

cancertakesflight
KenD
5 Posts
Hi Lost Soul... I hope you’re not feeling the way of your user name. 🙏

I went through a stem cell transplant last fall and I went through some crazy food reactions. Food that I loved, I couldn’t tolerate mostly. It started with the chemo before the SCT. I am happy to report that after about 4-6 months post transplant that I started to return to relative dietary normalcy.

Feel free to message me if I can be of any help...

ken d
LucyK
30 Posts
Hello lost_soul. I had a SCT in Dec 2018. I never developed allergies but found many foods I previously liked are no longer enjoyable. I did become very sensitive to the smell of some foods, some which turned me off from eating them. Your doctor or clinic might be able to refer you to a Dietitian who could help you with food choices.
I had a stem cell transplant 3 1/2 years ago. Nothing tasted the same to me for a long time. If you are on medication, check to find out what side-effects it may cause. Mine causes diarrhea if I eat a lot of fats - cheese, deep-fried, butter, cream....
lost_soul
13 Posts

@KenD Thanks i did feel like it at the start but reading stuff on here changed it all. I don't feel so lost anymore.:) For me it all started a year post transplant and was wondering if it will ever come back, and reading your post gave me some hope that it could come back one day. Thank you very much.

@LucyK I did talk to my team about it and since I figured things out by myself how to cope with it and what substitute some food, they never gave me the appointment they wanted me to have..and i gained back the weight that I've had lost.. all in all im doing ok considering I can't eat most of the foods i loved - Im a BIG food lover - bummer -.

@Gnomeuniverse I'm not taking any medication other than blexston - Allergy pills - cuz i now have so many but mostly from environmental and I have 2 big dogs soo lots of allergens in the house haha.. But the intolerance that I do have they make my stomach turn first bite I take. so It doesn't get to the point that I get diarrhea, unless I eat to much fat or greasy foods.

Thank you to all 3 of you for the information.

Hopeful that it will come back one day !

Ciony
11 Posts

Hi Lucy K I didn’t have SCT but I sometimes cannot eat food raw especially salad. I don’t have allergies. i have ti gave up p on salads, I cook mostly my veggies, I can eat cucumbers.
to change the topic, I’m getting forgetful and word finding, not sure if it’s late effects of chemo.

LucyK
30 Posts
@ciony. I lose words or my train of thought. I am certain it is a chemo effect. Chemo brain can be short term or long term. There is no way of knowing how long. I started doing easy crossword puzzles which has helped.
lost_soul
13 Posts
Ciony‍ and LucyK‍ I've also been getting those. Think it is a chemo thing. Word games do help alot but i still get those moments.
+ Reply