+ Reply
Living with foot neuropathy
Essjay
1484 Posts
I know I’m not alone in being left with neuropathy in my feet (and fingers) post chemotherapy. My neuropathy is thankfully mild. I cannot feel my fingertips and toes, and they struggle in the cold. I often feel like I am walking on pebbles, and I get foot cramps. I know others have it much worse.

Yesterday evening I paid a visit to the podiatrist. I like him (he’s a fellow British expat), and I’ve been really pleased with the service he and his wife provide. A pair of orthotics last about five years, but the base can often be refurbished if your prescription hasn’t changed. I’ve had mine for seven, and I’ve had cancer treatment for breast cancer since I received my last pair.

I had a shopping list of things to improve my foot comfort especially for running, which I took up after cancer treatment was completed. One foot has been quite uncomfortable over 10k.

Turns out my problem is caused by the neuropathy. This is causing me to grip with my toes a little and I’ve developed neuromas in both feet. I had one before (the reason for my first orthotics) but now I have FIVE! The doc told me I’m super ‘lucky’. The gripping has caused an imbalance in the muscles too. So I have a new prescription with better support in the right places and a high tech slow release cushion to improve the comfort around the ball of my foot and toes.

I know we are all really good at putting up with things, suffering a little, but I learned the value of reaching out for help. My neuropathy wasn’t bad enough for a referral to a neurologist, but I’m so glad my podiatrist can help me.

How are your feet folks? 🦶🦶🦶
3 Replies
Runner Girl
1688 Posts
Essjay

I'm so glad you found relief for your feet. You're right, we get so used to putting up with things.

I find when I run longer distances or if I'm on my feet for too long on a hard surface I have issues with my toes and balls of my feet. My toes go numb as does a portion of my foot. I wondered if this was a bit of neuropathy. Might have to get my feets looked at after your finding and success.

Runner Girl
Essjay
1484 Posts
Runner Girl‍ No harm in getting checked out. My first neuroma was agony, but these new ones I wasn’t really aware of apart from the discomfort after running etc, probably because they are less significant than the other issues.

He was great, he asked me lots of questions about my running, looked at my running shoes for signs of foot issues. He says he treats a lot of runners, and also cancer patients (my own oncologist refers patients with nail issues etc to him).
Roy L.
194 Posts
Essjay‍ let me start with neuropathy sucks! I have neuropathy from long term diabetes. They did not do chemo on me because of the issues it causes and will be a "last resort". When it got bad I had to stop running, mostly 5 and 10k's because it was in mostly my left side from toes to neck. Had surgery on both hands and they had to move the ulner nerve in my left arm. The treatment I am on for prostate cancer has been making it worse and now my right foot is being affected. My left side is "numb" most of the day and feels like someone is trying to cut my left foot off. Neuropathy also moved into my small intestine and I am now Celiac, no gluten for this fella.

I wish you well on your journey, like we didnt have to deal with enough already. I have tried Gabapentin and Nortriptolin for the pain, but I find a small piece of special chocolate before bed helps.

All the best.

Roy
+ Reply