+ Reply
Programs/supports for patients and caregivers
Pleuvoir
22 Posts
I’m posting to inquire about types of services, programs and resources for patients as well as caregivers.

Starting with patients, I’m in Ontario. My father on a limited income would definitely benefit from some assistive devices for sleeping, comfort and bathing and I’m curious of any know resources we could access in that regard. Also any in home or phone check in services or medical information services for dedicated for cancer to reach out to when we can’t reach his care providers?

As for caregivers, I’d like to know if there are any support services for emotional needs and stress respite etc whether in home online or phone?

Thanks everyone!
5 Replies
Boby1511
363 Posts
Pleuvoir
Hi there,
Assisted devices are available for free by prescription. You would have to talk over with his doctor.
I had the potty (never actually used this one), bedrail (this one I bought after, very handy), chair for shower (so you can sit and have someone help you, makes life much easier), and the walker, after surgery. All home delivered for free.
The bedrail was relatively inexpensive. But money is relative.
You could apply to the trillium group. Anyone in Ontario can. There is also an assisted devices grant on the Ontario Assistive Device Program. (I don't know what if any overlap with Trillium there is but you can speak with someone they can help.)
In Ontario you can also get respite. People come in a few times a week (depending on need). Think they are PSW workers, not nurses. But they can help with some of the simpler items, like choirs around the house, bathing.
The hospital should also have a resource person available that can walk you thru on how to apply and where to gain access to these things.
There should also be access to some sort of counselling service available to your dad and yourself.
Wishing you both the best.
Boby1511
363 Posts
Pleuvoir
Also there is the cancer hotline. I'm sure someone here has it handy and will post.
But if they don't, your hospital should have given your dad the line. Or just ask his doctor.
It's for questions 24/7 (I only used them at night), regarding symptoms and such, that you may have questions. The line will ask for you medical info, your hospital, and then put you on hold and a cancer nurse will answer.
Although I only used them twice and both times they just told me to go to the emergency.
ACH2015
2007 Posts
Hi Pleuvoir

Re assistance to add to Boby1511‍ 's posts

1-888-939-3333 is a main number for the Canadian Cancer Society to get pointed in the right direction for many programs etc...

Next: The Local Health Integration Network in Ontario

General Inquiries and Referrals:Care coordinator with laptop speaking to female patient

905-895-1240

416-222-2241

Toll-Free: 1-888-470-2222

TTY: 416-222-0876

310-2222 – no area code required

Fax for patient referrals: 416-222-6517 or 905-952-2404

Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. 7 days a week

There are so many offices - use the one above. When my mom needed in home care, we got an assessment and services for bathing, dressing, and now with monitiring and assistance with compression garment donning and doffing.Here is the Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) Website FYI to look through.

Also, I use the Ontario Assistive Devices Program to help pay for my compression garments, and its worth a look at getting your father assessed for needs and paying for those items needed as also suggested by Boby1511‍ .

Lots of information, get some contacts and assessments booked.

Keep safe

ACH2015

Lucy77
25 Posts
What part of Ontario are you in?
I’m in London and there is a place called the Consistitory Club where assistive devices are donated and the club gives them free to use. It is part of the Scottish Rite and is run out of a church here in London.
The Ontario Assistive Devices Program.....ADP will pay up to 75% of devices needed. Your Dad will to be evaluated by someone, PT, OT, Dr. Nurse Practioner or someone else that has ADP training.
Sometimes other clubs in your community will be willing to help.For example, Rotary, Lions, CNIB and church groups.
Wish I could help more.....
Good Luck.
Pleuvoir

Your Dad is lucky to have your support.

Our Cancer Information Helpline is a great resource to help you find services that may be able to help. You can reach them at 1-888-939-3333.

All the best,
Lacey
+ Reply