+ Reply
Hair Products After Chemo
cgdtan
30 Posts
Hi,
I am 2 yrs after chemo. I am still not finding the right hair products for my sensitive scalp. Any recommendations?

Thank you.
11 Replies
Runner Girl
1509 Posts
Hello cgdtan‍ ,

What type of products are you looking for? Shampoo/conditioner, styling products, growth promotion?

Runner Girl
cgdtan
30 Posts
Shampoo in particular. Thanks.
Runner Girl
1509 Posts
Hi cgdtan

Here are some suggestions regarding hair loss and cancer treatment. I found a moisturizing Hemp shampoo that was very helpful after my chemo. You could also ask your hairdresser, if you have one, for their recommendations.

Caring For Your Hair and Head

Here are some ways you can care for your hair and head while you’re experiencing hair loss:

• Wash and condition your hair every 2 to 4 days. Use baby shampoo or other mild shampoo (such as Aveeno® or Vanicream). You should also use a cream rinse or hair conditioner.
  • Use shampoos and conditioners that have sunscreen to prevent sun damage to your scalp.
  • Always rinse your hair well and pat it dry with a soft towel.
  • Wash your hair after swimming in a pool.
  • Don’t expose your scalp to the sun.
  • Keep your head covered in the summer.
  • In the winter, cover your head with a hat, scarf, turban, or wig to keep it warm. This can also help to catch falling hair.
  • Sleep on a satin or silk pillowcase. These are smoother than other fabrics and can decrease hair tangles.
  • Brush or comb your hair gently with a soft-bristle brush or comb. Start brushing or combing your hair at the ends and gently work your way up to your scalp. You can also comb through your hair with your fingers. Wet your fingers with water first.
  • If your hair is long, you may want to have it cut short before you begin treatment.
  • Tell your hairdresser that you’re receiving chemotherapy. They may be able to recommend gentle hair products.
cgdtan
30 Posts
Thanks Runner Girl‍ . I will try the baby shampoo you suggested.
ABA
27 Posts
Hello,

I am almost half a year post my chemo treatment for my Hodgkyns Lymphoma. My hair grew back but it is all grey I am 44 year old)I am planning to have a short haircut for my birthday in two weeks and would like to dye my hair or just use highlights using natural products. Any recommendations?
Thank you
Runner Girl
1509 Posts
ABA

Mine all came back grey as well. I'm 55 now (was 52 when diagnosed) and have embraced the grey, BUT, I liven it up using a purple shampoo and conditioner that deposits purple into my hair. Women are paying loads of money to have the hair that chemo gave me! I used to color my hair but decided it wasn't worth the upkeep when my whole head is now grey/silver.

Runner Girl
ABA
27 Posts
Thank you for your reply.
could you please tell me the name of the shampoo you have been using...I am also thinking to leave it grey but adding some other colour touches is an interesting idea
Runner Girl
1509 Posts
Hi ABA

It is by SURFACE and its called Pure Blonde Violet Shampoo. I also use the conditioner that goes with it. My hairdresser said I could put the shampoo on my hair dry and leave for 10 minutes to intensify the color then wet and work thru like normal shampoo. Beware - you need to rinse your hands, head and ears well because the purple may stain.

Runner Girl
ABA
27 Posts
Thank you very much.
where do you buy these products?
Runner Girl
1509 Posts
ABA‍ ,

I purchase them at my hair salon. I believe you can also find Surface products online and order.

Runner Girl
Cynthia Mac
3080 Posts
Hi, ABA‍ , I started going grey at a young-ish age, and, having watched my mom dye her hair for years, chose to rock it rather than fight it. After I retired from my day job, I had my stylist put layers of purple under the grey. That has worked really well for me, particularly since the pandemic rolled in, as I don’t have to touch up the colour every 6 weeks.

You might want to check about colouring, though. A friend of mine had treatment for cancer, and her hair stylist suggested that she avoid colouring for a span of time after her treatments. Being a creative woman, she had coloured feathers woven into her hair, which she kept short. It was really cute on her!

I, too, use a “purple” shampoo - mine is from L’Oreal’s Expert series - it comes in a grey bottle and I buy it at salons. I also use a L’Oreal conditioner that comes in a pink bottle. It’s Vitamino, also from the Expert line, and the last few times I bought it, I found it at the drug store.
+ Reply