First Checkup after Mastectomy

First Checkup after Mastectomy

Posted by AngelaC on Jan 2, 2021 1:47 pm

I can’t believe it’s been a year since my diagnosis and surgery.   I finally got into physical therapy in October and have been going weekly to work on congestion under both arms, fascia and shoulder work. Slow but sure, I have a lot less pain in my ribs (front and back) and shoulders.  In addition to doing all the stretching exercises, I have also been doing yoga (modified) and strengthening classes via zoom for breast cancer survivors.   Here in Saskatchewan, Impower is a wonderful group that offers funding and free classes to breast cancer survivors.    

So since I didn’t need chemo, radiation or hormone therapy, I was told to just go back to my family doctor for annual checkups.   Well my first checkup is on the 20th and other than doing regular bloodwork, I’m at a loss what I should be asking her.   Other than my ribs still hurting a year later, I feel fine.  

Any suggestions? 

Re: First Checkup after Mastectomy

Posted by Essjay on Jan 2, 2021 2:00 pm

AngelaC‍ congrats on your milestone!

Your doc will have a checklist of things to go through when you see her - lymph nodes, the chest area, and she will have questions for you about any pains you have. Just be honest about where you are at and anything worrying you. Hopefully it will be a quick appointment with all the right boxes ticked and you will be good to go until your next check up. This is what we all hope for as survivors I think.

Let us know how you get on.

best wishes, Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018