Living with Cancer - playing sports

Living with Cancer - playing sports

Posted by Ginbo2 on Oct 22, 2020 9:17 pm

Wondering if anyone else with advanced bone mets is struggling with playing sports? I was diagnosed at the age of 42 in 2015 (mastectomy, chemo and Rad) been on Tamoxifen and Letrozole until the cancer spread to bones in Nov 2019. I’m now on Ibrance with monthly injections of Xgeva and Faslodex. 

What kind of activities are you all doing? I find low impact sports easier such as cycling works best for me. 

I love golf and just today hit a bucket of balls today and sadly think it may be my last time. 

Thank you! 

Re: Living with Cancer - playing sports

Posted by Essjay on Oct 22, 2020 9:37 pm

Hi Ginbo2‍ Im going to tag Beespecial‍ and QuarantineAndMe‍ who both have bone Mets and have posted about getting on with their lives. I hope they can share their perspectives.

I’m so sorry you are struggling to remain active. As an active person myself with injuries that have led to modifications and stopping some things I know how frustrating and depressing it feels to have something you enjoy taken away from you.

i, sorry I can’t help with your question but I Send gentle hugs and best wishes

Essjay

Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Beespecial on Oct 25, 2020 8:09 pm

Hi Ginbo2

Sorry to hear you can't keep doing what you love. Cycling sounds like a great alternative. 

I've had bone mets for close to two years now. I was originally diagnosed at 51 in jan 2017, mets in Jan 5019. It blows. I've progressed and now on Xeloda /capecitabine. I couldn't stay on ibrance. I get zometa every 3 months. I'm on a 3 week cycle/visits with my oncologist. 

I am not an athlete or really active. I do live my life quite normally. I don't  have any sports alternative, but I do pilates and yoga on and off. You might think about something like that. 

Belinda

Posted by Ginbo2 on Oct 26, 2020 7:15 am

Hi Belinda and thank you for your reply. Do you experience flare up pain? I’m told to take it easy and still trying to figure out what that means. I now take Naproxen every 12 hours and Tramadol at night to keep going. Thanks! Gini

Posted by Beespecial on Oct 26, 2020 8:30 am

Hi Ginbo2‍ 
I have pain in my upper right thigh, close to my pelvis. That's where the main tumor is. I have lesions on my spine, ribs, l scapula, l hip, pelvis. 

I do have some flare up pain, usually in my right thigh. I take Tylenol, and depending on what's happening I'll rest. Sometimes getting moving helps more. I do work full time, now from home so I tend to be sedentary alot of the day so getting moving when I have leg pain helps me. 

I have a high tolerance for pain, so it's a bit hard to tell. I don't feel any pain anywhere else in my body. Just the right leg. 

Belinda

Posted by Ginbo2 on Oct 26, 2020 1:50 pm

Hi Belinda, thank you for your reply! Good for you to work. I took a leave of absence since March and not working is work! I also feel moving helps with the flare ups. Thanks!

Posted by Beespecial on Oct 27, 2020 12:09 pm

Ginbo2‍ , Essjay‍ 
I just got back from a follow-up with bone scan results. Stable disease, I'm off the hook for another 6 weeks. BUT...I asked about downhill skiing this winter...no go.  I've been skiing since I was 4 -- this is the end of an era.  He also said no skydiving lol.  Anything, where there is a fall risk, is a hard no.  But everything else is ok according to my guy. 

Belinda
Belinda

Posted by Ginbo2 on Oct 27, 2020 12:27 pm

Hi Belinda Beespecial‍ . Good for you. Stable is what we want to hear! May I ask if you still work? Have you considered cycling? I feel the safest on a fat bike. You can feel a bit of the buzz of going down a hill. 
I’m a skier as well, not avid but would go out a few times a year. I plan to skate but bay wear my husbands hockey pants!

thanks again!
Gini

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Oct 27, 2020 12:33 pm

Ginbo2‍ so glad you and Beespecial‍ have connected!! To tag someone in your reply so they are notified type the @ symbol and their username. They will then be notified of your post. (I have been a tagging fairy for you above 😊🧚‍♀️)

Posted by Essjay on Oct 27, 2020 1:07 pm

Beespecial‍ glad to hear you have stable disease, but that sucks about downhill (and skydiving 😜)!

I know how it feels - I was told to stop canoeing due to my spinal compression fracture, nerve damage and popping out rib (from osteoporosis not cancer), which is one of the major activities I do with my partner...I agreed to stop white water canoeing and scale back my trips and now I’m a fair weather paddler, which Is definitely not the same...

I hope that you can still get out and cross-country ski, which I know isn’t the same, but it’s at least a chance to get outdoors with friends and family.

best wishes, Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Beespecial on Oct 27, 2020 2:56 pm

Thanks Ginbo2‍ and Essjay

Yes, I work full time, but from home since covid. I was working from home most of the time prior, only going on a couple of days a week. That's not because of the cancer but rather my work is quite virtual anyway. I'm an executive director of a charity in Toronto. 
Belinda