Ring our virtual bell

Ring our virtual bell

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Sep 16, 2020 12:08 pm

Have you finished treatment? Post below as a symbol of ringing our virtual community bell! Please include the type of treatment you had and the date you finished! 

A continuation of this great thread that had over 200 posts!: https://cancerconnection.ca/discussions/viewtopic/80/57928

Re: Ring our virtual bell

Posted by gillianm on Sep 17, 2020 9:39 am

Endometrial Cancer, Grade 3, Stage 1B.  Hysterectomy & 5 weeks radiation.  Finished June 1st, 2020!

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Sep 24, 2020 4:12 pm

Congratulations gillianm‍ !

How are you feeling now that you are a few months out of end of treatment?

Lianne

Posted by gillianm on Sep 27, 2020 12:57 pm

Hi Lianne, How are you? 

Thanks for asking ... Glad the pelvic radiation treatments are over.  To be truthful, the whole experience from diagnosis to continuing recovery has been a blur. I think for some of us, it takes quite awhile for the realization of cancer to compute. And recovery can take a long time too, much longer certainly than I had been expecting.  It was definitely wonderful to hit the big gong, in celebration with the technologists, nurses and other staff in the radiation unit at RVH, to know there would be no more treatments and that recovery was set to begin.  

The beautiful brass gong was gifted to the unit by the staff working there. Many people leave a decorated stone at the gong on their last day but, since I make Christmas crackers for a living, I decorated a cracker with butterflies to leave in the community cache - a symbol of transformation... 

I know for many people, Gong Day is a joyous one and one of relief.  I felt both of those emotions but Gong Day is also book-marked for me until I can catch up emotionally and one day go back in my mind, to fully celebrate anew. Congratulations to all who have made it to "Gong Day" or "Ring the Bell Day"!

c578e1e416714ab1f63993c84c12173c-huge-rv

0a3b77650462e66c8ca93c8cd5276b6a-huge-ri

Posted by Gigsy on Oct 28, 2020 8:35 pm

Just finished my last treatment of radiation therapy. Hair is starting to grow back. Thank you for all your informative help.

Posted by Essjay on Oct 29, 2020 7:50 am

Congrats Gigsy‍ it’s a hard slog isn’t it and such a relief to be finished!

I hope you were able to treat yourself afterwards.

How is your skin? How are you feeling?

best wishes, Essjay
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by County Girl on Oct 30, 2020 7:49 am

Finished chemo yesterday. 6 rounds of FEC D for stage 2a Triple Negative Breast Cancer,  Tumour  was grade 3. On to Radiation next. So happy to be almost done with all treatments.  Looking forward to hair regrowth. 😀