What does living life to the fullest mean to you?

What does living life to the fullest mean to you?

Posted by cancertakesflight on Sep 15, 2020 10:34 pm

No one knows exactly what they need to live their life to the fullest and it will mean different things to different people. They key is to know where to focus your attention.

Here's my comparison of the fear of recurrence and the fear of being followed by a bear.

If you were hiking in the woods and constantly looking to see if there was a bear following you, you would miss all the beauty around you. It could be the scenery. It could be the conversation of a friend hiking with you. The point is that if you are look behind you, you are missing some great opportunities and experiences.  

I believe that if you are looking forward instead of always looking behind you, you are living your life to the fullest. It doesn't mean that you have to go on a lot of trips. It doesn't mean that you have to quit your job to do everything on your bucket list. But it can be all those things too. Living your life to the fullest is not the same thing for everyone. 

It's okay to take a quick check every once in a while to see if the bear is coming. The problem is when the bear is your only focus. It's not an easy balance between looking forward and looking back, especially once you have had a run in with the bear before. You have to figure out whether you want to live your life looking for a bear that may never come or deal with the bear only if it comes your way. 

Fear is a very strong emotion. I tell myself that I had the courage to deal with cancer (not like I had a choice) so I shouldn't be afraid to try new things. In my head, I say..."You dealt with cancer. You can deal with whatever comes your way."

cancertakesflight
Laughter is a lifestyle choice. www.laughterandcancer.com/blog

Re: What does living life to the fullest mean to you?

Posted by AdventuringSoul on Sep 15, 2020 11:10 pm

Hi, cancertakesflight‍. 

You write so beautifully! I love your post, especially the analogy of cancer as the bear. I agree with you that you miss so many beautiful things when you’re constantly looking behind you. I also love how you recognize that everyone has their own definition of “living life to the fullest.”

I’m curious to hear more about you. Are you a writer? What does “living life to the fullest” mean to you?
—- Don’t wait for everything to be perfect before you decide to enjoy your life. ~ Joyce Meyer

Posted by cancertakesflight on Sep 15, 2020 11:38 pm

Hi AdventuringSoul‍. Thank you for your compliment about my writing. I do a lot of different writing. I get paid to be a business systems analyst. There is some writing involved in that. I used to be a technical writer, so I have written manuals and various other things. I have also written a book about my cancer experience and I have my own website (laughterandcancer.com). I have a lot of blog posts there and you can find some of them here in the Blogs section of the site. 

As for what I do to live my life to the fullest, I don't know that I know. I always feel like I should be doing more...that I'm wasting my time on things that are more productive. My husband points out that I do share my experiences with all the right I do. I have also spoken at some conferences to try and make a difference. But then, I sit on my butt and watch too much TV. So I don't think I've quite found the answer to the question about living life to the fullest. I was hoping that I could get some ideas from other people's posts. 

While I think I could do more to live life to the fullest, I do try to look forward, which is at least a step in the right direction. I really should take a closer look at what would make me feel really good about myself and my life. I do have some great things on my list, but I want to do more. I also need to find a way to feel happy about what I do achieve instead of focusing on what more I could be doing.

Tell me more about yourself.

cancertakesflight

Laughter is a lifestyle choice. www.laughterandcancer.com/blog

Posted by AdventuringSoul on Sep 15, 2020 11:56 pm

Quickly, living life to the fullest means going after my dream of being a people manager because I figure that I will only live another 20 years, if I’m lucky. That means trying to have a healthier (for me, anyway) relationship with my family, i.e., not letting them boss me around or belittle me for not owning property or having kids or a significant other. It means setting boundaries in my personal and professional lives, being more assertive,  communicating more and not being afraid to ask for help to learn something. 
—- Don’t wait for everything to be perfect before you decide to enjoy your life. ~ Joyce Meyer

Posted by Clarke on Sep 16, 2020 11:15 am

It is just over a year since my bladder cancer surgery.  My view of living life to the fullest has changed several times.    It is not what I expected and hoped for, but it is way better than some of my friends.   I look forward to the good things that happen and enjoy each one in turn.
Clarke Edward, still perking!

Posted by jobo on Sep 16, 2020 8:47 pm

cancertakesflight‍ , I love your bear in the woods analogy in so many ways!  Thank you for giving me a new way to think about my fear of recurrence