Webinar: Fear of cancer recurrence during COVID-19

Webinar: Fear of cancer recurrence during COVID-19

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Aug 24, 2020 11:53 am

Fear of cancer recurrence during COVID-19

Launched August 24, 2020

8b5aa521ced1b8f669c90d36d5f15fdc-huge-sh

Presenter: Dr Sophie Lebel, C. Psych

Presenter role: Professor, School of Psychology - University of Ottawa

Webinar overview: When treatment ends, many cancer survivors and their families may worry that the cancer will recur, or return. In this webinar, Dr Lebel explains fear of cancer recurrence, especially during COVID-19, and outlines how to question this fear and recognize when it might be a cause for concern. Learn also how to manage any fear of recurrence by practising self-care, drawing on your support network and talking with your healthcare team.

Webinar Length: 28 minutes

Watch Now  

Re: Webinar: Fear of cancer recurrence during COVID-19

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Aug 24, 2020 7:04 pm

The first half is a bunch of technical definitions and scientific citations. Boring. Maybe we needed it to be prepared for the second half.

But the second half is well worth skipping to and watching. Very practical advice. She puts the text book aside and speaks from her practice. Very reassuring and some great guidelines for thinking about recurrence. And more importantly dealing with it. A lot of it things that get mentioned around here. But I learned some new things and found it very thought provoking.

I really like the fact that she acknowledged that recurrence fear is normal.

Thanks for this great resource.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Re: Webinar: Fear of cancer recurrence during COVID-19

Posted by ashcon on Aug 25, 2020 4:26 pm

I agree with WestCoastSailor‍  - well worth the watch. And worth getting through the groundwork that's covered in the first half to truly appreciate the practical tips in second half.
I particularly liked the tip about getting a grip on understanding my actual risk of recurrence, versus my perceived risk of recurrence. 
With all the discouraging news about the prognosis for triple negative breast cancer (especially Stage 3, like mine), I am quite convinced my cancer will recur.
But now at my next follow up on Sept 8 I will ask my oncologist what my actual risk is,  and see if my perceived risk aligns with it or is over the top.  I am hoping this will help me.
---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----