Shoulder pain nearly two years after breast surgery

Shoulder pain nearly two years after breast surgery

Posted by Essjay on Aug 6, 2020 11:13 am

I am 22 months post lumpectomy, 14 months post chemo and radiation and I have been pretty much getting on with my life after cancer, but...

The past two months I’ve had some issues with my shoulder and after thinking I’d overdone things in the garden and easing off the activities a bit, It’s getting worse...

I’ve made an appointment to see a physio on Monday for an assessment and hopefully some do’s and don’t’s going forward even if not a diagnosis but I just googled ‘shoulder pain after breast cancer’ and it seems it’s a thing...

I did my exercises religiously and I’m a gym nut and have had excellent range of motion, until June...now I have pain in the joint and some movements are causing sharp pain and tingling.

Just wondered about anyone else’s experience - has this happened to you? Did it go away? How long did it take to resolve? Or is it another one of these cancer treatment effects they don’t tell us about?

Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Re: Shoulder pain nearly two years after breast surgery

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 11, 2020 12:19 am

Interesting you should mention this because I did have a shoulder problem shortly after my chemo and radiation treatments ended.  I went for a few physio treatments and did some exercises which helped.  Eventually the pain went away.  My Chemo Onc didn't relate it to any of the cancer treatments.  It does seem odd though that we both experienced the same thing!  All the best to you and a speedy recovery.

Posted by Essjay on Aug 13, 2020 3:51 pm

Saw the physio today...

Very full examination that made me wince behind my mask sometimes. He tested the joint fully, and my strength. My muscle movement range was normal for normal people but when left and right were compared there is slight tightness in my left pec muscle (radiated side) and slight weakness in trapezius muscle in the back. This could be due to cancer treatment, but we’ll likely never know. The issue is a snagging feeling in my joint (it’s too mobile to be frozen) which send pain down my arm, and restricting movement slightly. Likely a cartilage tear or damage. Cause is more likely to do with my hyper mobile joints. 

So I have a set of strengthening exercises to be working on, including on my vacation for the next 10 days...

Hoping this will do the trick!
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Aug 13, 2020 6:25 pm

Hi Essjay‍ 

I am glad you got a thorough exam and have a plan to work on your shoulder. I have tightness in my shoulder blade, pec and underarm on my lumpectomy/axillary dissection/radiation side 9 years post treatment. It is a continuing project for me. I notice when I lie down to stretch for example that shoulder blade does not sit down close to the floor like the other side does.

Fingers crossed that does the trick for you

Lianne

Posted by MCoaster on Aug 16, 2020 7:14 pm

Hi Lianne_adminCCS‍ , Essjay‍  and scaredysquirrel‍ 

Has anyone tried ortho bionomy?   When I experienced a lot of pain in the area of my replacement hip it helped me tremendously when physio failed and now it is helping with cording and tightness after the mastectomies.  The therapist, who really is very knowledgeable and has become a good friend over the years, is also helping with lymph drainage.  Unfortunately she was out of the country for 5 months during and after the bilateral hence my pleas for help here.  

Just a thought!

Hugs.

MCoaster

Posted by Lianne_Moderator on Aug 17, 2020 12:54 pm

MCoaster‍ 
I had not heard that term before, ortho bionomy, but I looked it up and feel like I have had something along these lines incorporated into other treatments I have had done in the past.
Thanks for the info.

Lianne