Chiropractor anyone?

Chiropractor anyone?

Posted by Scared on Jul 30, 2020 8:45 am

Hello.  Since my surgery I've had various aches and pains some of which I expected but recently had strange back pain and couldn't get an appointment with my family doctor for 2 weeks.  A family member suggested I try a chiropractor that she knows and got in to see him right away.  The first day was consult and short treatment.   I was shown my xray and the area where parts of my spine were too close together and possibly leaning on the nerves which cause the pain. The second day the adjustments were more intense and I left with more pain than I had before.  I was told this is normal and after a few more treatments, when my spine is in alignment I will feel better.  I was up and down all night with pain.  I go again this morning but am also having anxiety and my heart and head are  pounding so I took a half lorazepam.   Trying to calm down before I go.  
has anyone else had experience with a chiropractor?   

Re: Chiropractor anyone?

Posted by Hazewind on Jul 30, 2020 10:07 am

I had been going to chiropractor for years due to old injuries from years ago, when i herniated my disc. When i stop approximately 6mths later i tend to seize up and the pain from the old injuries returns. Since my lumpectomy Ive waited patiently until i was healed enough to deal with laying on my front to get proper adjustments on my back where it was needed most. My chiropractors have all done the ACTIVATOR METHOD. 
It works best on everyone. You go every other day for  two weeks, then every third day for two weeks, then 2x / week for two weeks, then once a week then once every two weeks. And eventually on a maintenance schedule only 1 or 2 times a month. During the chemotherapy I couldn't go but I had a few emergency visits where after my subcutaneous needle 2nd day after chemo caused excruciating back pain. Shooting down my spine. I almost could not walk. I was in agony. It began while I was having a bowel movement. I later got to my chiropractor and he did an amazing adjustment. Though on going down his front steps to the car, the pain immediately returned. It was so bad I could not turn around and go back in for another adjustment. He certainly didn't start the pain. I thought to myself, if he adjusts me again, going down the steps again will certainly mess the work he just did again so i just went home, took two robaxicet extra strength and laid  on my bed the remainder of the day. I took more that night and again the next morning until the pain disappeared after the 3rd day. 
I had mentioned this pain to both my GP and my oncologist but they had no idea what might have caused it. Or so they said. I think it happens to more people, and its reasonable to think that nobody says anything is because it eventually goes away with rest and pain meds. It was extremely severe in my case because my arthritis built up around my old injury in my lower spine. I was just more susceptible.  I had damaged discs Lower lumbar 3/L4. 
I continue to see my chiropractor on a relatively regular basis until Covid19 showed up. Now i go only in emergencies if i need an adjustment. Time will tell when I will seize up again. 
Hopes this helps anyone. 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Aug 2, 2020 9:37 am

Hi, Scared‍ , my Dad went to a chiropractor for many many years. He had a neck injury that went undiagnosed after a car accident in his teens, and he also ran into some back issues in his middle age.

I’ve done chiropractic, too, but I’ve found that osteopathy works better for me, so that might be another avenue you’d like to explore.

Simply put, chiropractic deals with the bones in the body, where osteopathy deals with the fascia and connective tissue between the bones and muscles, and physiotherapy deals directly with the muscles.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Scared on Aug 2, 2020 11:41 am

Hazewind‍ , Cynthia Mac‍ 

thank you both so much. This has really helped.  
I spent 3 months sleeping in my lazyboy chair after Mastectomy surgery as I just couldn’t get comfortable in bed.
After 4 adjustments I still get back pain but I’ve been convinced that if I stick with it the day will come that I’m pain free.  Robaxet platinum is the only thing allowing me to sleep at night.
Im considering seeing my osteopath too.  Maybe with the help of both of these treatments I hopefully can get better sooner.
Again thank you ladies and I wish you well.