Hot Flashes

Hot Flashes

Posted by AngelaC on Jul 25, 2020 8:17 pm

I still am suffering from hot flashes, and they are getting worse.   Sometimes 20 a day!  I have been doing all kinds of searching and asked my doctor yesterday to try oxybutynin (overactive bladder med) as I have read it can reduce hot flashes up to 80%.  She has agreed to a trial.  Because of the lack of estrogen, I am experiencing lots more joint pain and urinary issues. When I have to go, I have to run.  I start next week. Anyone here tried or on this? https://www.breastcancer.org/research-news/oxybutynin-helps-ease-hot-flashes?fbclid=IwAR2MNL6ji2b4a6nSpDLe7nFPUTQy8wwrTanFgZA6uD_zVU0unovrb9LZVgc

Re: Hot Flashes

Posted by Wendy Tea on Jul 25, 2020 10:30 pm

AngelaC‍  I remember how frustrating it was to have hot flashes.  The more I worried about having a flash, the worse it was. I tried not to eat spicy food, nor drink alcohol. I dressed in layers so I could take off a jacket or sweater if I needed to cool down. It is so hard to combat a chemical induced hot flash. Can your medical team give you any help or suggestions? 
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by AngelaC on Aug 6, 2020 12:19 pm

Quick update, I have been on this drug now for two weeks and it has been a life changer, I’d say my hot flashes have diminished by 80%.   I think I’ll stay at the lower dosage longer than two weeks to see if they stay away.  Only side effect was dry eyes and dry mouth but that’s going away.   

Posted by Lacey_Moderator on Aug 6, 2020 12:56 pm

AngelaC‍ - Glad to hear the positive update!

Has it been hot where you are? Hot flashes on top of the recent heat....geez :(

Posted by AngelaC on Aug 6, 2020 1:06 pm

It has been hot but I won’t  complain, I’ll take +30 vs -30 any day 😎.