Masks, Myths and Cancer

Masks, Myths and Cancer

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jul 21, 2020 9:17 pm

I can't believe that some people out there believe wearing a mask during the Covid Pandemic will cause cancer! I heard this on the news the other night.  There was an anti-mask protest held in Vancouver.  I wear a mask everywhere.  I also wear disposable gloves - medical kind.  I've heard some stupid, unfounded reasons not to wear a mask, but causing cancer takes the cake.  Unreal! 🙄

Re: Masks, Myths and Cancer

Posted by Wendy Tea on Jul 21, 2020 9:23 pm

scaredysquirrel‍  Yes, there are always those people who fight science.  What I find insulting besides not wearing a mask is wearing a mask that does not cover the nose and mouth. 
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jul 21, 2020 9:59 pm

scaredysquirrel‍ Wearing a mask can cause cancer, that's a new one that I hadn't heard before. I work in a grocery store and see all kinds when it comes to masks. Most people that wear a mask don't even wear them properly. And if you don't wear them properly, don't bother wearing them. I saw one man that had a mask on that was made with the purple bag that crown royal comes in. Too funny!! 

Posted by Laika57 on Jul 21, 2020 11:27 pm

Maybe if it's dipped in pesticide....
but then, breathing (oxygen) causes cancer.

there was a good meme the other day. Pretty much boiled it down to "yeah, oxygen deprivation from wearing masks makes you dumb and will kill you. That's why we never have enough nurses, doctors and dentists..."
Have you hugged your dog today?

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jul 22, 2020 10:16 am

My mom purchased a few local made masks and one she gave to me. They are the double layer fabric type without the filter. The first time she wore them she said she was having a tough time breathing. When she got home she cut out the lining. I said she basically made it useless and it was in her mind that she couldn't breathe properly. I think she's able to wear the disposable type.

I just watched a video on facebook where Doctors were in a hospital with the thing clamped on their finger and the monitor visible to see there breathing number. One Doctor put on 6 disposable face masks and the number never changed. The other Doctor had just one mask on but showed what number was the breathing and what number was the heart rate. He said the heart rate was high because he was angry that he even had to do such a video to show people the nonsense that is being spread around.

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jul 22, 2020 1:39 pm

This one is near and dear to my heart. I engaged in an email exchange with one of the organizers of the Vancouver antimask rally. While the exchange was very respectful, the science that was presented was so old and ambiguous that we chose to disengage. I will say that though they don't in general wear a mask, they will wear one in a business if the business requires it. I thought that was a pretty major concession for someone who is objecting on a principle of dehumanization.

When I have encountered it in public, I have found a polite question as to "why?" and an explanation of why it is dangerous to me goes a long way to a positive response. If we let it divide us, it will.

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by Essjay on Jul 22, 2020 4:25 pm

I feel like I’m one of the few wearing masks when I go out, and our local paper was full of vitriol towards those who do in response to the latest figures ( we have an outbreak in Multiple Hutterite colonies after members travelled to Alberta for a funeral). We are thought to be fearful and told we should stay at home. Sure there are times I am afraid. Such as in the liquor store yesterday. I wanted to browse the beer isle to select local craft beers for us. Two young people were stocking the isle, together. They were not physically distancing or wearing masks. They had the stack of beer on a cart at one end of the isle and were moving down the isle with beer together and back to the cart. They were laughing and joking in each other’s unmasked faces. I didn’t want to be in their presence because I knew my mask would not protect me, so I left. I get that we have very few cases, so why should we worry, but the attitude that we are all going to die at some point and that if it’s from COVID it was meant to be that way which dominates here seems callous.

I don’t believe we will change people’s minds.

Voluntary wearing of masks isn’t working and as we open up and cases spike we will need to make it mandatory. People walk straight by the hand sanitizer too. I’d like to see the non-mask wearers being the ones to choose if they are going to go out (because they’ll have to wear a mask), rather than those of us who want to do the right thing choosing to avoid even necessary trips out because we are afraid of those who don’t.

The evidence that masks cause health problems is extremely limited. There’s far more evidence of the benefits. And there are plenty of anecdotal examples of masks not affecting people with poor health or even athletic performance. Many countries see routine mask wearing to protect the wearer from pollution for example, and in many western cities cyclists and runners frequently wear masks for this reason - sports stores stock pollen filtering masks for example. They are working their bodies hard and do not suffer ill effects from adding a mask, some even win races wearing them. I run with a mask in windchill temperatures without issue.

Most of the difficulties people experience are from panic. I talked a friend through her panic about flying with a mask on. She has asthma. I suggested she try a bandana rather than a mask, and to try at home first. She messaged me a photo after her trial and I could see she was smiling. It didn’t feel nearly so constricting and it met the rules for flying, so she want going to have to cancel her holiday! She was happy. Another friend feels more comfortable in a buff which she can pull down. 

Im watching our numbers with interest. We went days and days with no cases and then suddenly over a couple of days we have 47 cases...and I’m wearing my mask just in case I’m asymptomatic...
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Kuching on Jul 23, 2020 8:18 am

Surgeons have been wearing masks for 8 hours a day for many years.  I assume somebody would notice if they were brain dead.

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 23, 2020 8:34 am

For those who won't wear a mask because they think it takes away their personal freedoms and is just government control I have to ask:
Do you wear a seatbelt in your vehicle?
Do you secure your children in a car seat?
Do you obey the rules of the road?
Do you obey the rules of law (not committing crimes)?
Do you wear clothes in public?
Ladies, do you wear a bra in public?
If the answer to all of these is yes, then how is wearing a mask any different?

I, personally, am glad that Calgary has finally mandated masks in all indoor public spaces.  With numbers rising again as people become complacent some form of common sense needs to prevail.

Runner Girl 
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Wendy Tea on Jul 23, 2020 9:52 am

Believe in science.  Oxygen levels while wearing a mask remain at 100%. Masks need to cover your nose and mouth. Remember to wash cloth masks after each use.
Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by CentralAB on Jul 23, 2020 1:31 pm

WestCoastSailor‍ You make a good point re that anti-mask dude. People need to be respectful of others who are not safe in an environment where no one wears masks. I do find it confusing as there is virtually no consistency in mask use almost anywhere I go. And I know it does differ from one province to another.
________________ "there is always a little Light"

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 23, 2020 2:22 pm

I walked to the mall yesterday.  I used my hand sanitizer and put on my mask before going inside.  Once inside, I used the mall hand sanitizer. 
I went to get a coffee, then sat at a table to drink.  Walking around with a drink or ice cream, in the mall, well that can't happen now. 

I put my mask on when I'd finished my coffee. Walking around the mall, a huge number of people were not properly wearing their masks! The mask is below their nose, or below their bottom lip! So now I'm thinking, if someone walks around the mall with the mask on top of their head, can they be fined! I mean, they're wearing the thing? 

Believe in science, yeah, Wendy Tea‍  !
Kuching‍ , yes, surgeons seem to be mostly staying well!
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Brighty on Jul 23, 2020 2:33 pm

Is it mandatory now in Montreal to wear masks? It is here now.    Did you go to point claire in Montreal? I love that mall Elsie13‍.   
Help is out there. All you have to do is reach out.

Posted by Elsie13 on Jul 23, 2020 4:48 pm

Yes, Brighty‍ , it became mandatory to wear masks in Montreal 5 or 6 days ago, in indoor public places. I love Fairview mall and we might go on Monday or Tuesday.  Hubby finds it to be expensive, but it's fun to look around, and get a sweet potato poutine!
Great topic idea, scaredysquirrel‍ !
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Posted by Trillium on Jul 23, 2020 10:15 pm

This morning I took my car to get a quote for some work on my muffler. The mechanic met me outside and took my keys and I went to sit in the office. A women in her 80’s and myself Were the only ones there. We began to chat and she talked about how wearing a mask reduces your oxygen and the health food store she goes to does not want people wearing masks. She also talked about how she has breast cancer for 2 yrs and uses diet and she is fine. She talked about friends with breast cancer and it was the chemo that killed them and how she has learned so much on the internet

I just listened and acknowledged I was listening but was dumbfounded! I was so glad it was all of 5 mts I was there because, what do you say to that??!!!

I have found myself not believing that people actually believe and act on these things and well - this just overwhelmed me to say the least. It was very sad to me...
“Every day I wake up and decide today I’m going to love my life.” Carrie Hamilton

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 24, 2020 10:13 am

Essjay‍ , I hadn’t really thought about it, but this

I’d like to see the non-mask wearers being the ones to choose if they are going to go out (because they’ll have to wear a mask), rather than those of us who want to do the right thing choosing to avoid even necessary trips out because we are afraid of those who don’t.

Makes total sense! Just as they set up “seniors’ times” early early in the morning, they should have late-late nights for people who don’t care who they put in danger! It still puts a burden on the shopkeepers, though, and their employees, and that’s just wrong. 

Just as wrong is the report that there were over 21,000 incidents reported where travellers who were required to quarantine for 14 days disobeyed that requirement.

My own sister is all “I have COPD and can’t wear a mask.” How tempting it is to suggest that, in that case, she might want to set down her vape.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jul 24, 2020 8:59 pm

I love everyone's responses and experiences, it sounds like we've heard it all and I am sure the Drs and nurses cringe when they hear some of these lame reasons for not taking this mask wearing seriously.  Yes, Drs., nurses and Dentists have been wearing masks for a hundred years - do you remember seeing Drs. on some of the old black and white TV shows or movies wearing a mask? I would love to ask the anit-maskers (hope this is a word) would they like their Dr. or Dentist to do a serious procedure on them while not wearing their mask or protective gear?  I doubt they would.  It's really not a big deal to ask of us.  You only need to wear it while you are in a large group - like a grocery store - and then when you get out to your car you can remove the mask, unless you have more shopping to do.  I usually take mine off while driving between stores.  As long as I don't touch the mask while removing it's okay.  I also wear gloves most of the time and carry hand sanitizer wipes in my car.  When you think of the difference between wearing a mask for awhile and getting Covid and being seriously sick or causing someone else to be sick, it's a pretty easy decision to wear the mask! Thanks for the great responses.

Posted by Hezz on Jul 25, 2020 9:45 am

I've been out of touch for several weeks.
Work was busy planning for summer, we got our children's daycamps started at work, then I got a wicked stomach infection from salmonella and shigella.

The infection was so serious it made me miss chemo...I was disappointed! Spent a few days in hospital with a mask on the whole time. My oxygen saturation levels were high 90s the entire stay. I have asthma and anxiety, but didnt have issues with my mask. My only negative mask side effect was rashing on my cheeks.

After the hospital, I resumed leading daycamps but switched to a face shield from dollarama to let my skin heal (with some help from polysporin). I was allowed to resume chemo yesterday.

All that to say, I dont get the reluctance to wear masks. Yup they are annoying. But oh well.
Hezz :)

Posted by Charles on Jul 26, 2020 2:00 pm

Trillium:
. . . She talked about friends with breast cancer and it was the chemo that killed them and how she has learned so much on the internet

It's just a tool.  The wisdom to use it for good, rather than evil -- that's learned, not innate.

.   charles

Posted by Laika57 on Jul 26, 2020 2:35 pm

Charles:

Trillium:
. . . She talked about friends with breast cancer and it was the chemo that killed them and how she has learned so much on the internet

It's just a tool.  The wisdom to use it for good, rather than evil -- that's learned, not innate.

.   charles

Hey, the chemo has done a number on my husbands health. It may play a major factor in whether he recovers or not. I can understand the reluctance to use a treatment if your own personal experience with/ observation of it is that negative.
The internet may offer some perspective. I find most doctors have an agenda (surgeons want to cut, etc...) and we are left trying to figure out whom to believe.
Guess the important part is learning to "rank" reliability of your sources of information...
Have you hugged your dog today?