Ketogenic diet and cancer

Ketogenic diet and cancer

Posted by Veryhappilyretired on Jun 17, 2020 3:06 pm

Hi Everyone: My husband has epilepsy and we are considering trying a medically supervised ketogenic diet to possibly help reduce the frequency of his seizures.  Is there any research on benefits or problems with cancer and a ketogenic diet?  It would be much easier if we could both eat the same things. All comments are appreciated. 😃

Re: Ketogenic diet and cancer

Posted by Runner Girl on Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm

Veryhappilyretired‍ ,

There is a book I read during my treatment - Keto for Cancer by Miriam Kalamian, EdM, MS, CNS

From the back cover - Keto for Cancer addresses the nuts and bolts of the diet, an invaluable resource for both beginners and seasoned users as well as health-care professionals who need a toolkit to implement this targeted therapy.

Hope you find this useful.

Runner Girl 
Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Laika57 on Jun 17, 2020 5:30 pm

Sorry, i don't remember where i read it, but there's supposedly a study that claims most cancer cells almost exclusively use glucose as an energy source and that a low carb diet and or intermittent fasting can increase the effectiveness of chemotherapy.
something to feed into a search engine and learn more about ;)
I'd still ask a doctor.
And while I had great weight loss results. I could not keep up low carb. It's like i didn't eat or think about bread for months, yet as soon as I wasn't supposed to, I wanted to BAKE.
Have you hugged your dog today?

Posted by Hezz on Jun 18, 2020 11:12 am

Hi Veryhappilyretired‍ ...
Before my mastectomy I had to visit my cardiologist to be cleared for surgery. I have heart disease. He HIGHLY recommended a low-carb diet for both my heart health and my cancer fight.
I wont say I'm strictly eating keto, like your husband will need to for the epilepsy benefit, but I am following it quite closely. Eating fruit has been my challenge as I'm allergic to most fruits and not allowed to take vitamin c pills while in treatment. I found this article helpful in creating my daily smoothies.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fruits
Things I love about the new diet:
Roasted cauliflower (with mango chipotle seasoning)
Kale salad
Cauliflower crust pizza (save on foods has the best shells)
Lettuce wrapped burger with avacado and pico de gallo
Yum! Good luck!
Hezz :)
(Now I'm hungry)

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jun 18, 2020 1:29 pm

Veryhappilyretired‍ 

It's good to hear from you! Eating the same things would definitely make meal prep easier! I would suggest talking to your Oncologist before make drastic changes to your diet.

I think you might find our Eating Well When You Have Cancer booklet helpful. Here is some info from the booklet:

2f3a26a8be4d627d896157fecec3c255-huge-ea

Where are you currently at with treatment?

I hope this helps!

Lacey

Posted by Veryhappilyretired on Jun 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments.  In terms of treatment, I am in my second year of recovery... finished radiation January of 2019 and now just taking anastrozole.