2 Years after Chemo, Big Toes Still Hurt

2 Years after Chemo, Big Toes Still Hurt

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jun 6, 2020 9:40 pm

I'm still having problems with my big toes two years after my chemo treatments ended.  I've been to a podiatrist quite a few times and she's practically removed both toenails! Of course, I do have an ongoing issue with nail fungus which is part of the problem.  I've been treating my nails lately with home remedies such as apple cider vinegar and tea tree oil.  I've actually found these remedies work better than the expensive drops the Podiatrist proscribed. I can wear most of my shoes and boots.  I bought a new pair of slippers the other day with a closed toe.  Sometimes they bother my left toe.  At least my toe nails aren't black anymore!

Re: 2 Years after Chemo, Big Toes Still Hurt

Posted by Elsie13 on Jun 6, 2020 11:45 pm

Oh, how annoying, scaredysquirrel‍ .  I have tingling in my feet sometimes from the neuropathy.  My chemo finished in April 2017!  Another strange thing is that I get cramps in my feet, sometimes the left, sometimes the  right, and then my fourth toe tries to cross over my third toe. A few years before I got cancer, I was wearing orthodics in my shoes. 
Have you been able to do ice skating? 
In 2016: diagnosed with stage 2 ovarian cancer. Treatment: hysterectomy, chemo, radiation. Afterwards: No Evidence of Disease!

Re: 2 Years after Chemo, Big Toes Still Hurt

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jun 12, 2020 10:18 pm

Yes, I sometimes still have the tingling and numb toes and feet too.  I don't notice it as much anymore because I've gotten used to it.  I may always have the neuropathy.  My toes are getting better as I've been treating them with a nice tea tree oil foot bath and the drops the Podiatrist proscribed.  It's a painstaking process but I'm hoping one day my toes will be somewhat normal.  No, I don't skate anymore.  The rinks are closed now and the season ended early due to Covid.  I still follow figure skating on line and TV.  I'm wondering when the skaters will be allowed to compete again.  I have my mammogram finally rebooked next week and my Zoledronic Acid Infusion is still a go in July.  It's interesting times for sure.  Thanks for your reply.