Post cancer monitoring/ care during coronavirus

Post cancer monitoring/ care during coronavirus

Posted by Ri77 on May 21, 2020 10:26 am

Hi everyone! Hope all are safe, well, and happy during these crazy times! I finished treatment for stage 3 breast cancer (including a masectomy and recomstruction) sometime in October last year. Ive been closely monitored since then including keeping a close eye on my breast breast through Dr. Appointments and mammograms every 6 mths. Now I've been doing and feeling good. I was scheduled to travel i  April, meet drs in May and have a small follow up surgery to balance breast sometime this year. Then coronavirus happened. So yes, not in Ireland as I'd hope this past April but that doesnt bother me as much as one by one all my follow up appointment and consultation have been cancelled / postponed with no follow up date. I have the very important mammogram set for June and am dreading getting the call that that too will be cancelled. I was wondering if anyone else is having any issues / concerns with a very passive follow up care since coronavirus hit? It's important to note they initially waned to keep a close eye as I was initially diagnoses with a false negative and high recurrance likelihood. I live in Ottawa Ontario. Thanks everyone and I do hope everyone is well and safe... 

Re: Post cancer monitoring/ care during coronavirus

Posted by Essjay on May 21, 2020 11:57 am

So far, follow-ups are going ahead in Manitoba. I had a physical exam in April before my Zoledronic acid infusion, and I’m scheduled to see my oncologist in July when I should be discharged to the care of my family doctor. The staff all wore masks and eye protection and we physically distanced as much as we could, but otherwise it was much like a normal visit. My October Breast MRI is scheduled already. Follow-ups are so important - for my triple-negative breast cancer, they are especially so in the first 3-5 years.

Cancercare here, seems to have been carrying on as normal in Manitoba. Some surgeries have been delayed with chemo happening first in some cases, but even surgeries are being scheduled now.
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by ashcon on May 22, 2020 9:39 am

Hi Ri77
I, too, am in Ontario, but in SW Ontario. None of my follow up appts have been cancelled, just moved to being virtual. They are now just phone calls with my Oncology Nurse Practitioner. 

I'm glad that you are doing and feeling well. That is a good sign that you should not under appreciate, but it is worth finding out, if you, can how these upcoming appts will pan out. If for no other reason than getting out of that place of "waiting in the dark without a plan." 

Wishing you continued wellness and (eventually) that trip to Ireland! 

---- "Nothing ever becomes real till it is experienced." ----

Posted by Whitelilies on May 22, 2020 6:05 pm

Ri77‍ Hello
Re; Follow Up care/appointments.
I too am getting virtual calls, from the Survivorship Clinic (Toronto).

BUT: my scheduled mammogram, dated April 7th (Height of/still the height now/of COVID) was cancelled ! Faster than you can say "Pass me a Mask!"
Funny, though.....I JUST got a call from Mammo Clinic (at large hospital, in North York) that my "new" appointment is July 29th.  The voicemail said to prepare for "further cancellations".  Aka; write down this appt date/time in pencil, not ink.
They are trying to re-book the slew of appts and backlog BUT change is in the air.

Keep well.

Regards
Whitelilies

Lillian 

Posted by Ri77 on May 22, 2020 9:16 pm

Seems Ontario is handling things differently than Manitoba (and Quebec from what I hear). I did end up calling and receiving a reassurance that my mammogram would proceed as scheduled in early June. They told me that my type of follow up mammogram was recently given the green light to proceed with appointments (whatever that means). I also got a new virtual appointment with the NP in late June... I guess it is the way it will be for a while. But I agree with ashcon, the not knowing where and what to expect was adding unnecessary stress. I'm glad I reached out and got some reassurance (knowing things may change again... hopefully continuing in the right direction). 
Thank you all you lovely beings! :) 

Posted by Essjay on Jun 25, 2020 11:51 am

So my oncologist office just called to say my appointment will be by phone...

I was hoping it would be in person, because my exam before my appointment in April for Zoledronic acid was just a heart and lung check, nothing else and I’m supposed to have full exam every six months...
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018