Sunburn

Sunburn

Posted by Nosajnosdivad on May 19, 2020 8:56 am

Odd question, 
     My wife had her last treatment of radiation back in January.  And this weekend we finally managed to get outside for a bit.  Max two hours and of course she got a sunburn.   Sadly it ended up being second degree, blisters and all.  I am wondering if others have found that they burn easier after Chemo/radiation as this was definitely a first here.  
thanks 

Re: Sunburn

Posted by Essjay on May 20, 2020 7:50 am

I had radiation treatment to my breast in May-June 2019, and I was told to lather up in factor 60 and keep my radiated skin covered for the summer. I’m not a sunbather, but I do spend as much time as I can outside in summer. I was extremely cautious and didn’t burn thankfully. It will be interesting to see how I do this year, as I can still feel that the skin is different...
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Cynthia Mac on May 20, 2020 9:59 am

Nosajnosdivad‍ , I’m sorry to hear about your wife. Yes, she should be taking never-before precautions when going out in the sun now. My mom didn’t even have follow-up treatment (chemo or radiation) for her skin cancer, but her doctors told her to be very careful in the sun. She hated sunblocks, but used them, and got a pretty sun hat or two for when she wanted to sit out on the deck.

I bought a wide-brimmed Tilley hat a few years ago and have taken to wearing it more often. I should find a baseball cap to wear in the garden, too, now that I think about it.
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 20, 2020 11:49 am

Nosajnosdivad‍ 

Welcome back. I'm glad you thought of our community when you had a question :) There are no odd questions here. The first warm sunny day always sneaks up on me. I tend to learn my lesson and keep the sunblock close from then on. 

People going through cancer treatment or on certain medications may be told to be extra cautious in the sun. That being said sun safety is important for everyone-No one is completely safe from the sun.

We have some great info on cancer.ca. Check it out Be sun Safe

Take a second and check in here in the Caregiver Check in.

I hope she is feeling better soon.
Lacey

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Aug 2, 2020 2:44 am

Sorry to hear about your wife's sunburn.  I have very light skin - red head and freckles, although the red hair is gone,lol.  I was told to be very careful in the sun during my chemo and radiation.  In fact, after my radiation treatments it looked like I had a sunburn.  I always wear a hat and usually a jacket or long sleeves.  I try to wear sun screen.  It's very important to wear sun screen.  Also I wear sun glasses and my eye glasses have the transition lenses.  

Posted by Treepeo on Aug 2, 2020 7:38 am

Hi Nosajnosdivad‍,

My radiation therapists warned me to be extremely careful of the sun after my treatments.  I am very fair skinned and therefore, not at all a sun worshipper.  I was very badly burned after radiation, and it took me about a month to get over it.  So now, I try to be mindful about how long I will be in direct sunshine.  I have #60 sun block but I don't even trust that.  I still like to cover my skin with clothing and limit the amount of time I am in the sun.  I applaud you for supporting your wife in such a caring way.  Please make sure she covers up and uses copious amounts of sun screen.  And I hope her treatments were successful and that her cancer is gone.