Covid Confinement Blues and Cancer Treatment Memories

Covid Confinement Blues and Cancer Treatment Memories

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Apr 7, 2020 8:02 pm

My husband and I have been staying home now following the directive to not make unnecessary outings.  It's kind of funny but I've been reliving how I felt when I was going through my chemo and radiation treatments.  I remember being so drained from the treatments and also had to isolate because my immune system was weak.  Of course, this is nothing like my treatments but the staying confined at home has brought back memories of that period.  I got so depressed when I was laying low at home, I hope I don't go through that again. I was getting used to my activities, watercolour painting class and exercise class which were giving me a sense of purpose and keeping me busy.  My husband and I are keeping up the watercolour painting at home, he is very artistic so is able to critique my art work and help me fix my mistakes.  Oh well, I hope we will all be able to return to our normal lives soon.  

Re: Covid Confinement Blues and Cancer Treatment Memories

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Apr 8, 2020 2:20 pm

Good to hear from you scaredysquirrel‍ 

Great topic! You're not alone in that feeling. I have heard others compare this time to the feelings they had when going through treatment. The good news is you know you can get through it and this time around you have wonderful new hobbies to keep you busy. It can definitely bring up difficult memories.

I am so happy to hear you and hubby are painting together. Have you tried some at home workouts?

We are all in this together,

Lacey

Posted by Kims1961 on Apr 12, 2020 11:10 pm

scaredysquirrel‍   Great to hear from you again!

There was an interesting article in the Globe and Mail about how we can learn to handle the COVID restrictions but talking to cancer patients.  It seems that having been a cancer patient has allowed us to understand the need for confinement, physical distancing, washing our hands - so in essence - we are "ahead" of the game when it comes to COVID.

So wonderful you have found some hobbies.Think of the amazing paintings you will have time to create ` .  You may also be a great support to others as you understand the need to follow the "rules".

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-what-cancer-patients-can-teach-us-about-surviving-the-coronavirus/
Hope all is well.  Kim
Her2+, ER+ Bilateral mastectomy in 2017, followed by chemo and radiation. Mack and Hannah's mom

Posted by Faye on Apr 13, 2020 12:03 pm

scaredysquirrel‍ 

This is such an appropriate topic. I think those of us who have gone through treatment are having flashbacks of that time. 
I understand how some may be facing some depression as they are reminded of devastating effects of treatment.
I am reminded of that time when I battled a depressed immune system for the entire time of my 5 months treatment and for following 4 months. I was fortunate not to have suffered depression during my treatment but understand many others do.

I am now isolating again as I am an at risk person and know it is my responsibility to keep myself safe and very willing to do what I need to do because I worked so hard to beat the lung cancer to succumb to Covid.

Do I wish I could be out and about socializing with my family and friends..absolutely I do...but I don’t dwell on it, I try to go about my days ,doing  things I enjoy or even just enjoying that I was given the chance to be here and knowing that this will end and life will return to normal.

To those that are experiencing depression during this Covid time, please remember just what you have faced and with determination what you have successfully overcome. Try to take one day at a time and know this will pass. Reach out to family and friends via technology or phone just to connect and have non Covid non depression talk just happy friendly topics allowed. 
If you need reach out for professional help.

Together we can cope ..stay strong, stay healthy, physically ,mentally and emotionally. 

Posted by EmmaJay on Apr 15, 2020 1:04 am

I’m glad that you posted...I feel much the same way. I ‘m 2 years post-chemo (yesterday) from NHL and have been self-isolating for over a month plus I live alone. This takes me right back to the isolation of chemo and the  feelings of sadness, worry, and dread in my cancer journey. When non-cancers complain about the “trauma” of isolation it drives me crazy. A couple positives though- we are not isolating alone as the whole world is forced to do it with us. Also, I think we’ll come out the other end better off than most as we have firsthand practice living one day at a time. 🙂 

Peace to all
MJ

Posted by Essjay on Apr 16, 2020 8:11 am

EmmaJay‍ youve described just how I feel too xx
Triple Negative Breast Cancer survivor since July 2018

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Apr 16, 2020 2:02 pm

EmmaJay‍ - as a caregiver who doesn’t live with her “patient,” I struggled with the isolation at first, too. Thanks for sharing your feelings on this - it helps others know they aren’t alone, (even though they are, technically.)
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Apr 16, 2020 8:00 pm

Thank you for sharing scaredysquirrel‍ . I think this is felt by many of us

And EmmaJay‍ you described it so very well.

A great topic for sure.
So I am always  looking for humour in things where sometimes there isn't any but when I saw this subject line I thought it could be a good blues song
🎵 I've got those Covid Confinement Blues 🎶

Lianne

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Apr 26, 2020 8:58 pm

Hi all, great replies.  Yes, I agree we cancer survivors do know what isolation is about and also about protecting our immune systems when out in public.  I still have to be careful because I'm on Letrozole and doing the Zoledronic Acid Infusion treatments at the hospital.  I remember wearing a mask a few times at the hospital when I had to go to ER with my husband.  Of course I had no idea then what was ahead for us all!  I've also heard that one of the Covid symptoms is loss of taste and tingling in the fingers or feet, kind of reminds me of chemo side effects.  I guess we've all experienced that! 

Posted by Cinderella59 on May 13, 2020 7:57 am

Hi scaredysquirrelLianne_adminCCSLacey_adminCCS‍ 

You mentioned “ also about protecting our immune systems when out in public.  I still have to be careful because I'm on Letrozole and doing the Zoledronic Acid Infusion treatments at the hospital.”  

There’s conflicting info bc my chemo nurse says my immune system isn’t compromised I’m now on Arimidex since April 2.  I went off of Letrozole in March for 2 weeks. (On it since 2017). 
I have fibromyalgia and arthritis I feel like a guinea pig bc being on this drug is making my pain worse. 
no one seems to know what to do am I the only one in this situation?  Plus I’m in cipralex and Wellbruten bc of my anxiety: depression. They don’t seem to be helping me either.  Sometimes I feel like giving up. 
Is it hard to get another psychiatrist these days?  
I’m going to try and call the nurse back to see if I could go on the other AI inhibitor Aromasin. 
Sorry for ranting. I’m just so tired. 

cindy
be safe. 
208f525724fdd1d06afb6f37c54300d1-huge-00

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on May 13, 2020 10:05 am

Cinderella59‍ - Nice to hear from you. I can see why you are confused about the info you are getting. I'm glad you are talking to your health care team. It sounds like you have other preexisting conditions that may also impact your level of risk. Your health care team would be able to advise you best.

I heard of this program through Canadian Mental Health Association called Bounce Back: https://bouncebackontario.ca/. You might want to check it out. 

Are you working?

Let us know how things go,
Lacey