Coronavirus and Cancer Treatments

Re: Coronavirus and Cancer Treatments

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Mar 20, 2020 8:46 am

Whitelilies‍ - these days, I’m rather fond of the “Namaste bow.” But, a wave is good, too, eh! I hope your results come in clear!
“When the root is deep, there is no reason to fear the wind.” - Japanese saying

Posted by CharlotteS on Mar 20, 2020 11:42 am

We were just informed by the Nurses at the Chemo Lab that i will not be able to sit with my hysband while he has his infusion. No worries. I understand the need to limit constant exposure. I will drive the 75 k to the Hospital and wait in the car. I have sanitized our car as best I can. So I feel safe there. We also have a biweekly appointment with the Oncologist. I hope i can attend. If not I will have our phones open so i can be the voice in the box. Hahaha. We have to make adjystments during these trying times. Wishing everyone all the best.

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Mar 20, 2020 12:36 pm

CharlotteS‍ 
You have said it perfectly. We are all having to make adjustments and limiting exposure is a big part of that.
I am sure you will be a terrific "voice in the box" if need be. Many others many find this is the way to go

Thanks for sharing

Lianne

Posted by Whitelilies on Mar 21, 2020 11:54 am

Cynthia Mac‍ Hello
Thank you for good wishes.....I gotta wait!

KMarie‍ How are you since surgery?  I am sending you healing thoughts......reach out if you are able to....we are all here to support.....me too!!

Regards
Lillian

Whitelilies

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Mar 21, 2020 2:48 pm

I was in for  my appointment for four month followup on Wednesday and was very impressed by the precautions once again. I was whisked straight into the exam room - no waiting. And contrary to the normal procedure, stayed there till all my paperwork and next appointments were sorted out. That meant that I walked in and out, speaking only to the screener at the door, the nurse that took me to the exam room, my doctor, and the pharmacist (who was masked.)

I should mention that he offered a phone consult but since he wanted to talk to me about an abnormality on my CT scan, and I needed to pick up my next round of medication we jointly decided to meet. He has always been scrupulous about hand washing which I have appreciated all along. The nurse also used an antimicrobial wipe on surfaces in the room.

Thanks to all those caregivers who are keeping us safe!

Angus
My story: http://journey.anguspratt.ca

Posted by a3a on Mar 27, 2020 6:34 pm

hey everyone, thinking of you all during this difficult time.  

Has anyone else had their appointment changed from a physical appointment to a telephone appointment at BC Cancer Agency in Victoria?  I was scheduled for a six week check-up after my VVR radiation.  They are going to have a hard time looking at my lady bits on the phone!  

Posted by Cedar on Mar 28, 2020 11:48 am

a3a‍ I'm also curious about what will happen with my follow up appointment with the gynaecologist scheduled for next week. I had a phone consult with a pelvic floor physiotherapist yesterday which was good, but probably not as useful as an in person one. She was able to describe what happens in the area following radiation and some exercises and practices to both strengthen and relax the muscles there. I think I was expecting to heal more quickly, she said 6 weeks from the last treatment for the tissues to heal and 6 months to get back to some sort of normal. 

Posted by cancertakesflight on Mar 28, 2020 12:03 pm

Cedar‍ and a3a‍ I am currently in your shoes. I had a hysterectomy on February 20th and April 1st is my follow-up appointment. My appointment was changed from an in-person one to a conversation on the phone. For me there really isn't anything for her to look at since most of my healing will be on the inside. My outside institutions healed ages ago. 

I am so excited to not see my gynecologist. She is always about 3 hours behind. Yes totally unbelievable. Being able to be at home and not having to wait in her office is like a dream come true. Before the change was made I did ask if there was going to have to be any physical interaction and was told no.

cancertakesflight 
Laughter is a lifestyle choice. www.laughterandcancer.com/blog

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Apr 2, 2020 10:55 pm

I'm glad to hear everyone is taking the necessary precautions and that your cancer treatments are not interrupted by Covid.  My mammogram was just cancelled that was scheduled for April 8th.  I called my Oncologist to cancel my appointment with her, but I didn't speak to anyone.  I do have to get a Letrozole refill soon.  I do have one refill left.  I don't need to go for anymore treatments until my Zoldronic Acid Infusion scheduled for July.  Hopefully that won't be cancelled.  I'm glad to report my tooth finally healed.  The root canal was successful.  I have one more dental appointment this month, but don't know if it will be cancelled as well.  Life is so different now...take care everyone.

Posted by cancertakesflight on Jun 15, 2020 10:38 pm

I wrote a blog post about COVID-19 and cancer treatments. If you are interested, it's posted in the Blog section of the site. 

COVID-19: Hair is not the problem

cancertakesflight
Laughter is a lifestyle choice. www.laughterandcancer.com/blog