Breast Reconstruction

Breast Reconstruction

Posted by derein on Nov 20, 2019 1:55 pm

Hi

After thinking that I had made my decision as to what I wanted done. I find out that due to previous surgeries the Plastic Surgeon does not feel I am a good canidate for succesful DIEP surgery I have been offered Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction with tissue expander and implants. The plastic surgeon explained her reasoning well and it makes sense due to the surgeries she feels that there would not be good blood flow to allow for the tissue to take and heal well. I am worried about arm strenth afterwards and the safety of implants

Re: Breast Reconstruction

Posted by Wendy Tea on Nov 20, 2019 5:16 pm

‍ ‍Hi, today I went for a fitting after my mastectomy six months ago. We are working on the right shape, size, and weight. They are ordering a couple of more samples so I can make comparisons. I have to say even though we still need to tweak the size and shape I felt absolutely amazing, and looked amazing too. I can't wait to go back and make my final choice. I never thought I would look this good.

Please make your decision based on what works best for you. Possibly have a fitting before you make your final decision to have surgery.

I really wish we didn't have to face these hard decisions but it won't be as bad as we imagine! My thoughts are always scarier than reality.

Best wishes and let us know how we can support you.

Wendy Tea ‍ 

Healing takes time and opportunity. Wendy Tea

Posted by derein on Nov 20, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi

Has anyone within the last few years had the Latisimus dorsi reconstruction with tissue expanders and implants done. I really want to be able to talk to someone first hand about this

Denise

Posted by Lianne_adminCCS on Nov 20, 2019 5:49 pm

derein‍ 

I noticed when I searched for it on the site that Deucedemers‍  reports having that done earlier this year. Perhaps she can shed some light on it for you.
Another options is our peer match program at https://match.cancer.ca/ where you can match with someone with a same or similar diagnosis and/or treatment. Once the match is made the connection is made by phone. I checked with a program coordinator and they do have a volunteer with that same or similar reconstruction.

Is this a procedure you are thinking about or are you booked for it?

Lianne

Posted by derein on Nov 20, 2019 6:17 pm

Hi

I went to see the plastic surgeon today and have been told that due to several previous abdominal surgeries and a appendix scar she did not feel that I was a good cannidate for the DIEP prcedure. A Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction with tissue expander and implants was recomended. I am worried about implants and the amount of possible loss of range of motion and strength especially as I will be requesting a preventative mastectomy on my other side at the same time. I would be interested in talking to anyone who has had this done I want to know about thier experience and healing. How thier strength is and if they are happy with the end result. My next option is to just remain flat with a prothsesis not ideal as I like to travel a great deal ( just retired 3 years ago) I dont want something that I have to have special bras for or remember to have a special prothesis for swimming or find swimsuits that can accomadate them. So hard when I had a decision I thought already made. This came as a shock never thought that I would not qualify at all.

Posted by prairiemom on Nov 20, 2019 8:39 pm

Hi derein‍ !

I can't help you personally with the question about Latissimus Dorsi, as I decided to remain flat after my double mastectomy - but I wondered if you were on Facebook, as I know there are a number of facebook groups for breast cancer reconstruction. I know for sure there is a DIEP group, as i am in that one still from when i was pondering that surgery. 

It's such a personal decision, isn't it, and I hear your concerns about implants. I knew for me personally I wasn't interested in having them, but I also know people that have them and are very happy with them. I hope you find someone with recent experience to connect with! 

Steff

Posted by Minus2 on Nov 21, 2019 6:39 am

Hi derein‍ , 
My reconstruction was not DIEP - I was not a candidate either - or the other, but I do have 2 implants and while they are not as good as my natural breasts, I have no concerns with appearance, comfort, or upper body strength.  The implants are positioned under the muscle so flexing does look a little different, but I am happy with my decision.  I don't know that I would have tolerated prosthetics well - I am all about convenience and having the foobs be part of me is way easier than remembering yet another device.  Between glasses, a hearing aid and invisalign braces, I have enough attachments.
For implants, textured implants appear to be of more concern than smooth and some manufacturers products are higher risk than others, so be sure to talk to your surgeon about which implants are recommended - shape, size, texture, and who makes them.  Mine are round, smooth, and saline filled - my surgeon would not use teardrop shaped or textured.  
Hope this helps.

Posted by derein on Nov 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks yes the info does help a great deal.

Posted by derein on Nov 21, 2019 1:46 pm

prairiemom‍ yes I am on FaceBook and am in several different groups for breast cancer and for DIEP 

Posted by scaredysquirrel on May 13, 2020 2:21 am

A friend of mine has to have her implants removed.  They were causing her problems and for some reason health Canada have recalled them.  She was just waiting to go for surgery when the Covid pandemic hit.