Mindfulness Training

Mindfulness Training

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 12, 2019 1:02 pm

I have been reading a mindfulness book - Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D.  It is about the MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction) program that he is a founder of.  I've been thinking that learning the practice of Mindfullness would help with reducing my stress and just making my life so much better.

The last time I was at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre I found a pamphlet for Mindfullness - Based Cancer Recovery Program.  This program is based on the MBSR program, the doctors leading it here have been trained by Jon Kabat-Zinn.  So I signed up for the Fall session.  It's a 9 week program, free to cancer patients and their families.  I am super excited about this!

Runner Girl

Re: Mindfulness Training

Posted by Elizabeth06 on Jul 12, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi Runner Girl‍ 
I am excited for you!
the first year after my diagnosis, I took a coping with cancer course thru my local cancer centre.  They introduced us to mindfulness.  I also took a meditation course.  Both of these behaviours allowed me to slow my racing mind.  
I am not as consistent at practicing as I was, but, those skills don’t leave you.  My sleep improved and my stress level lowered.
looking forward to hearing how your course goes.

Posted by ashcon on Jul 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Hi Runner Girl‍ 
Wow, that is amazing. I am so jealous that your cancer centre is offering this program - and for free no less!I got introduced to mindfulness and meditation about 6 years ago when I was being bullied by a family member. 
It really helped me deal with the constant fear I was feeling. 
This came in handy when handed the cancer card, and I learned a new kind of fear.

Like Elizabeth06‍  ,  I am not as diligent as I once was, but I do feel about 20% happier on a consistent basis!
I hope you get much out of it. 
Is anyone joining you? 

Posted by Brighty on Jul 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Runner Girl‍  that's awsome! When Dan was going through  treatment  I had somewhat of a breakdown.    Ended up in a day program at the same hospital where he was having chemo) and they focused a lot on  mindfulness and meditation.   At that time I could not focus so maybe now I'd be more open to it if I tried it again.    

Posted by Pink Ribbon Runner on Jul 12, 2019 10:09 pm

I noticed your name, Runner Girl.  I practice mindfulness during my solo runs.  It’s awesome.  I use to practice it more traditionally before and during treatments, but have slacked off.  I find my runs are a great time to practice it.  I should do it at other times too, again.  Thanks for the reminder.  Enjoy your class.  
Proud blogger about running back to health after cancer at pinkribbonrunner.com