Mindfulness Training

Mindfulness Training

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 12, 2019 1:02 pm

I have been reading a mindfulness book - Full Catastrophe Living by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D.  It is about the MBSR (mindfulness based stress reduction) program that he is a founder of.  I've been thinking that learning the practice of Mindfullness would help with reducing my stress and just making my life so much better.

The last time I was at the Tom Baker Cancer Centre I found a pamphlet for Mindfullness - Based Cancer Recovery Program.  This program is based on the MBSR program, the doctors leading it here have been trained by Jon Kabat-Zinn.  So I signed up for the Fall session.  It's a 9 week program, free to cancer patients and their families.  I am super excited about this!

Runner Girl

Re: Mindfulness Training

Posted by Elizabeth06 on Jul 12, 2019 5:10 pm

Hi Runner Girl‍ 
I am excited for you!
the first year after my diagnosis, I took a coping with cancer course thru my local cancer centre.  They introduced us to mindfulness.  I also took a meditation course.  Both of these behaviours allowed me to slow my racing mind.  
I am not as consistent at practicing as I was, but, those skills don’t leave you.  My sleep improved and my stress level lowered.
looking forward to hearing how your course goes.

Posted by ashcon on Jul 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Hi Runner Girl‍ 
Wow, that is amazing. I am so jealous that your cancer centre is offering this program - and for free no less!I got introduced to mindfulness and meditation about 6 years ago when I was being bullied by a family member. 
It really helped me deal with the constant fear I was feeling. 
This came in handy when handed the cancer card, and I learned a new kind of fear.

Like Elizabeth06‍  ,  I am not as diligent as I once was, but I do feel about 20% happier on a consistent basis!
I hope you get much out of it. 
Is anyone joining you? 

Posted by Brighty on Jul 12, 2019 6:24 pm

Runner Girl‍  that's awsome! When Dan was going through  treatment  I had somewhat of a breakdown.    Ended up in a day program at the same hospital where he was having chemo) and they focused a lot on  mindfulness and meditation.   At that time I could not focus so maybe now I'd be more open to it if I tried it again.    

Posted by Pink Ribbon Runner on Jul 12, 2019 10:09 pm

I noticed your name, Runner Girl.  I practice mindfulness during my solo runs.  It’s awesome.  I use to practice it more traditionally before and during treatments, but have slacked off.  I find my runs are a great time to practice it.  I should do it at other times too, again.  Thanks for the reminder.  Enjoy your class.  
Proud blogger about running back to health after cancer at pinkribbonrunner.com

Posted by Essjay on Jul 16, 2019 10:07 am

Hi Runner Girl‍ I got through my Paclitaxel chemo with mindfulness. I had some training from the counsellor at my cancer centre and I used guided sessions on my phone. It really made a difference. Totally recommend it. It also helps with my anxiety👍

Pink Ribbon Runner‍ I have just started running. I’m using a couch to 5 k app and I’m on week 3. I was using mindfulness to keep me running today as my heels were bugging me (I don’t think I’m stretching enough).

Posted by WestCoastSailor on Jul 17, 2019 2:22 pm

Runner Girl‍ 

I did a Stress Reduction program with my Cancer Center as well.  It was meditation in sheep's clothing trying to get more men into the program. A few months ago a family member introduced me to the TenPercent app for my phone. It sat there unused until I listened to "Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics." by Dan Harris as an audiobook. Maybe it is a guy thing but it really got through to me a) what meditation was, b) a ton of little tips for success.

I also use "Headspace" for its meditation exercises.

The research show that cancer and stress are intimately related. Certainly once we begin treatment anything we can do to reduce stress will improve our outcomes.

Thanks for sharing and encouraging.

Angus

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 18, 2019 9:29 am

“Meditation in sheep’s clothing” - my morning smile, WestCoastSailor‍ ! I love that!

I’ll have to look up Headspace - I’ve tried the Calm app, and I’m a big fan of Jon Kabat-Zinn’s work. (Wherever you go, there you are, and Meditation for Optimum Health).

I’ve found that breathing meditations are some of the easiest to master. (Should have tried one or two of those when I was still blinking at the clock at 12:30 last night!)

Posted by Runner Girl on Jul 19, 2019 1:19 pm

7a7cbb5844ffec507379ca131bfa1d10-huge-mb

The MBCR book I ordered arrived today.  It's done by the people who will be putting on the Mindfulness training that I've signed up for.  I hope to be ahead of the game come September to take full advantage of the program.

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Jul 20, 2019 9:32 am

Mindfulness has been a life-changer for me - Oh, I still have the odd knee-jerk reaction, and I still internalize and process “stuff” (crap) far too long, but now things only bother me for days, rather than weeks or months!