Searching for wigs Vancouver & Lower Mainland area.

Searching for wigs Vancouver & Lower Mainland area.

Posted by sketcher on Jun 24, 2019 12:45 pm

I notice my hair is thinning and I'm looking for a wig to wear if it gets much thinner. I'm not sure if it's caused by taking Letrozole.  I called the Cancer Help Line and she gave me a list by location. I've tried a couple....one lady wanted to charge me $60 for checking out the wigs by appointment only and the other store didn't have much selection.  There are some nice wigs that can be bought on line but I'd rather try them on first to see if they would suit me.  This is not a big concern in the big scheme of things but I would like to get started in the search.  I thought some of you ladies would have first hand experience.

Re: Searching for wigs Vancouver & Lower Mainland area.

Posted by Runner Girl on Jun 24, 2019 1:08 pm

Hi sketcher‍ ,

I purchased 3 wigs from a website called Trendy Wigs for $150.  One of them fit me really well and two did not, but they were all supposedly the same size.  I ordered another one online from Canada Wigs and it was just awful, really looked like a wig.  I went to a shop here in Calgary called Compassionate Beauty, tried on a few different wigs and paid $600 for a wig that came in, in a different (darker) color than the one I tried on so wasn't happy with that either.  Once I lost my hair after my first chemo I discovered I was allergic to the glue used in making the wigs so I ended up wearing none of them - developed a red, itchy rash.  

I am finished chemo (7 months) and have hair growing back, ever so slowly.  I'm on Tamoxifen and worried about my hair thinning.  At my salon I purchased (not cheap) a shampoo and conditioner - Revolve by Zenagen.  It is supposed to help with regrowth associated with hair loss.  It is recommended to use it 3 times a week, leave the shampoo on for a solid 5 minutes then rinse and condition.  I have to say, I'm not seeing any hair loss at this point and my hair seems to be growing a bit faster.  Might be worth a try in your case.

Runner Girl - Gayle

Never stop believing in HOPE because MIRACLES happen every day!

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Jun 24, 2019 1:42 pm

sketcher‍ 

Our CCS lodge in Vancouver has a wig bank that is free. The lodge is temporarily relocated to the Chalmers Lodge . Best to call ahead.
Address: 1450 West 12th Ave, Vancouver, BC V6H 1M9 
 Phone: (604) 879-9131
Also, the BC Cancer centres also have free wigs on occasion. They are located locally in Vancouver, Surrey and Abbotsford.
Whereabouts are you located? Would any of these options be doable? If not let me know and I can see what else we can do

Lianne

Posted by Aries on Jun 24, 2019 6:28 pm

sketcher‍  - I know the BC Cancer Agency has a free wig program and head coverings - they have the wigs under lock and key as sadly some people steal them so if you check there I would go in the morning hours when the volunteers are more likely to be around so they can help you and sign the wigs out for you. You get to keep the wig and cut/style it apparently. My hair is also starting to thin out but I haven't decided what to do about it yet - it's not noticeable to others yet so we'll see. 

Runner Girl‍ - I can't remember if it was on here or elsewhere that I read castor oil is good for hair regrowth. 

I was wondering is using something like this during chemo is worth it or if hair loss will just happen regardless and only worth using products when chemo is over. Any thoughts on this anyone?

Posted by sketcher on Jun 24, 2019 9:58 pm

Runner Girl‍ Your experience with ordering wigs is exactly what I'm hoping to avoid. Thanks for sharing.  I found an "on line" wig supply 1/2 drive from my home but mail order only. The wig can be returned but must be in the same packaging, not combed out. That makes it pretty hard to try on.  I'll look into Revolve and see if there's anything in it that might affect my meds.

Lianne_adminCCS‍  I'm located in New Westminster and go to the Surrey Cancer Clinic.  I did drop in once and saw 5 wigs locked up behind glass.   I really don't mind buying one but finding a store with any selection isn't easy.

Aries‍ I agree my hair thinning isn't noticeable to others yet but it is to me as I was already starting to thin before hormone therapy. 

Thanks for the responses.

Posted by Aries on Jun 24, 2019 10:03 pm

sketcher‍ - I meant to say the BC Cancer Agency in Surrey - that's where I go too; I just realised I only said BC Cancer Agency!

Posted by Buffythevampire on Jun 24, 2019 10:19 pm

sketcher‍ I go to the Abbotsford chemo hospital and they do have quite a selection (more then 5 that you saw at Surrey). You can get a wig on loan plus they will give you 2 hats. Abby wig/hat room is only open Monday to Friday until 12:00 pm. The room is kept locked up and a volunteer goes in with you. I am not sure whether they will loan you a wig if you go to a different hospital though. 
And FYI I had my surgery in Surrey on March 12th. Wonder if we had the same Plastic Surgeon.

Posted by sketcher on Jun 24, 2019 11:33 pm

Buffythevampire‍  My lumpectomy was March 25. It went very well, been on Letrozole for 2 months and still radiation to go.

Posted by weezer on Jun 25, 2019 7:31 am

Good morning,
I just stumbled across this thread.  I just finished my radiation treatments 2 weeks ago and have started my letrozole.  How long have you been on this medication and at what point did you notice hair loss?  I did not have chemotherapy and am curious about the hair loss or thinning related to this drug.  Suppose yet another thing to look forward to along this journey :( sighh.

Posted by sketcher on Jun 25, 2019 10:23 am

weezer‍  I started Letrozole April 26 and noticed hair in the sink on June 1st.  As you can see I'm watching this medication very carefully.  It hasn't been large amounts of hair, just more than usual.  I have very fine short hair so it doesn't cover well at best. I did not have chemo but will probably start my 16 rad treatments end of Aug.  I postponed rad because I wasn't sure I wanted to deal with possible after effects. I'm 72 and want quality of life rather than longevity......although both would be optimum. My MD who I've trusted for 35 years convinced me to do all the treatments offered.  
I've had several SE's after the first month of pills but they seem to come and go quickly and have been quite manageable.  One day I noticed my entire back felt sore and an hour later there was no discomfort at all. I do power walk every day to help keep the ankle joints and muscle pain at bay. 

Posted by weezer on Jun 25, 2019 11:32 am

Thanks for the information. As I had mentioned before, I didn't have chemo either and  I have just started taking the drug this week.  I am 56 and do not take any other medications ; thanks for your input.  I guess I will watch this carefully, however, they say I need to be on for 5 years!  Not sure what the alternative would be :( . Ughhhh

Posted by sketcher on Jun 25, 2019 11:43 am

weezer‍  5 years seems to be the norm but I read an article recently that mentioned 10 years may be better.  Unfortunately the information we share about these drugs is mostly about the negative side effects because that's our personal experience. There are probably many women who are not suffering from serious side effects. 

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Jun 25, 2019 11:44 am

sketcher‍ 

I went to a great wig shop in New Westminster . The owner at the time was also involved in the wig/scarf portion of the local Look Good Feel Better program. The shop is called http://vitonhairstudios.ca/. I believe wig consultation is only by appointment. She was very good to work with - very much understands cancer patients.

I hope this helps

Lianne

Posted by sketcher on Jun 25, 2019 12:18 pm

Lianne_adminCCS‍  I called Viton about a month ago and she books consultations for $60 which goes towards the purchase of a wig.  So if she doesn't have what I want or the wigs are too pricey, I'm out $60. I realize she doesn't want to waste time with people just trying on wigs for fun.  I  wanted to see what she has in stock before wasting both our time trying them on.

Thanks for the info. I may try her again later.

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Jun 25, 2019 12:31 pm

sketcher‍ 
I didn't remember that detail but now that you mention it, I remember buying 2 head scarves so I think that may have been to use up the deposit. I ended up buying at The Bay wig shop but I think they are now all closed.
There is a place on Kingsway near Boundary called Abantu this has both real and "fun" wigs that you can definitely try on at will. https://www.abantu.com/
I hope you find what you are looking for

Incidentally, some extended health plans pay for wigs up to a certain limit. Not sure if that is applicable to you but maybe helpful to others

Lianne

Posted by sketcher on Jun 25, 2019 12:54 pm

Lianne_adminCCS‍  Thanks for the info about Abantu.  I'm heading out there now and Tues. is seniors day as well.   They appear to be well stocked. 

Posted by slf on Jun 26, 2019 4:17 am

Hi sketcher‍ 
I bought a wig and many head coverings at “Because We Care” in Surrey, BC. (Actually it was in Cloverdale). The shop owner was really great, and had a great sense of humour, which is what I needed after my double mastectomy and just before I started chemo. She helped me choose just the right wig in the right colour, and fitted me for prosthetics. She also provided me with a name of another wonderful lady who cut my wig in a style that I wanted...cut was free of charge, since this lovely lady loves helping out cancer patients. She was just amazing as well. Check out their website. 

Posted by sketcher on Jun 26, 2019 10:45 am

slf‍  I've put "Because We Care" on my list.  Thank you.

Lianne_adminCCS‍  Most of the wigs at Abantu were long but I did try one short wig on and must say I don't like the feel of a wig at all.  The young lady was very helpful and said if I see a style on their website that I like, she can order it in with no obligation for me to purchase.  

I'll put my wig search on the back burner until I see how the hair thinning goes.  I have a friend with very thin hair because of medications and it doesn't seem to both her at all. 

Posted by Lianne_Moderato on Jun 26, 2019 11:40 am

sketcher‍ 

I completely understand. I rarely wore my wig at all and when I did, (it was long) I felt like it got kind of natty around the neck from rubbing against my collar and necklace.

slf
I follow Because we Care on FB but have never made it out to their store. Glad you had such a good experience there

Lianne

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Oct 27, 2020 7:54 pm

Hi Sketcher, I just posted a topic about Letrozole and hair loss when I saw your post.  Yes, I seem to be experiencing some hair thinning while taking Letrozole.  I have two wigs which I wore when doing my chemo.  I barely wore the longer wig, but wore the short wig a lot.  I don't think I will be as bad this time because I am blessed with a good head of hair which came back after my radiation treatments ended.  Good luck with your wig search.