New Antidepressant is Better, but...

New Antidepressant is Better, but...

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Mar 3, 2019 5:40 pm

Well since switching to a new antidepressant I've been feeling somewhat better, but there is still that void of not returning to work and giving myself a chance to try after my cancer treatments ended.  I know it's been a long time since that, but I will always wonder how things might have turned out.  I'm not really enjoying being retired.  It's a frustrating place to be especially now that I am healthier.  I remember someone telling me here not to let anyone (including myself) talk me into retiring.  I think that is what happened.  Sometimes if I think about something for too long it comes to fruition.  I really should have gone back to work on a graduated return.  

Re: New Antidepressant is Better, but...

Posted by Hollykins on Mar 4, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi!

Sorry to hear things are looking bleak for you. I've been on a few antidepressants over the years. I know it can take several weeks to feel the benefits . So hang in there!

The thing about decisions is that we make them based on what we are feeling & dealing with at that time. Whatever makes the most sense .Whatever our reality happens to be. Then when circumstances change we might wonder if that was the best decision .If we wish we had done things differently we might feel regret & maybe even anger at ourselves. But how are we supposed to know what the future will bring? We're not psychic!

There always seem to be an adjustment period to changes in our lives . A thought just occurred to me...what if you thought about the "cause" of your regret? You are feeling better!! Physically anyway .That's amazing!! Also, it might help to consider that you are fortunate financially to be able to retire .You are also giving someone else the chance to have a promotion which means someone would be getting a new job down the line. Thanks to you!! I used to work in education but once I moved to the city to be with my husband I've had to find other employment I'm overqualified for .Fortunately he earns enough to support us & it has allowed me to spend more time with our daughter, go to Pilates classes and do some volunteering .

I hope this helps .I know it's hard to look on the bright side when you're feeling down .But as your meds kick in & you can find some positives to the situation I'm guessing you'll feel better .I wonder if you have lunch with some of your co-workers & listen to them compain about situations at work if that would help?  They might tell you how much they can't wait to retire . If all else fails make a list of pros & cons. 

I hope my ideas help a bit .I don't want to sound too preachy. I look forward to hearing how you are doing . As Shania sings "Up, up, up, up, up. Can only go up from here!, 

Take Care,
Hollykins

Share with your friends: