Makeup and Skin Care Products after Cancer

Makeup and Skin Care Products after Cancer

Posted by Runner Girl on Feb 12, 2019 10:55 am

Good Morning,

I've started researching natural / organic makeup and skin care products.  I wondered if anyone has changed their skin care and makeup products following cancer to avoid all of the parabens, toxins, etc. that are used so extensively.  If you have, do you have any product recommendations?

Re: Makeup and Skin Care Products after Cancer

Posted by Essjay on Feb 12, 2019 9:42 pm

My favourite source of natural and organic products is www.well.ca. I use Green Beaver moisturizer, lip balm and sunscreen, but I’ve not made the switch re makeup products, and I’m interested in what others recommend.

Posted by princessmaura on Feb 13, 2019 11:42 am

I have changed my skin care products and shampoo after my cancer diagnosis...I like to use John Masters organic skin cleanser and Andalou shampoo which has organic ingredients in it...when my current hair conditioner runs out, I will buy Andalou hair conditioner to go with the Andalou shampoo...

Posted by Jlo on Feb 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi Runner Girl:

I use a shampoo called Live Clean which is very gentle. I started to use it through treatment.  There is a cosmetic line called Sweet Leilani which was designed for cancer patients in Vancouver.   You could check out their website at sweet leilani.com.  if you have a Pharmasave store near you, go in and talk to their cosmetician, otherwise Shoppers Drug Mart.  They may have some suggestions.  I have also been able to find a variety of products at my local health food stores that are non toxic.  I am slowly dumping all my toxic products, it just takes time.  Some products that say they are natural, are not so I have my list with me of all these toxic ingredients on my phone along with my magnifying glass to read the fine print.  Best of luck.  JLo. (Joan)

Posted by Dielle on Feb 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Before going for radiation I was given a list of recommended moisturizers and ingredients to avoid.  I ended up buying Hugo All Over Lotion from Whole Foods.  I've also started trying natural shampoos and conditioners.  Right now I have some from Avalon Organics.  

I went to a seminar on making your own home and beauty products and came home with a coffee/chocolate scrub that worked beautifully (but made a big mess in the bathtub).  I also learned how to make a cleaning spray by soaking citrus peels in vinegar.  Some time I want to explore more about making my own products.

There is an app called Think Dirty that you can get on your phone.  You scan the barcode of the product you're considering and it will rate how "clean" it is and explain why.  It doesn't have all the Canadian versions of products but if you search by brand name you can often find the same type of product.

Posted by Runner Girl on Apr 13, 2019 6:42 pm

I spent this afternoon with a magnifying glass going thru everything in my bathroom and tossing anything that has paraben as an ingredient.  Parabens can act as estrogen in the body.  Not what I need with estrogen positive breast cancer.  While each product might have a small amount of parabens, when you use a few different products the parabens start to add up.  

I have purchased paraben free moisturizers for day and night and a fantastic CC cream by IT cosmetics.  

Posted by Janegj on Apr 14, 2019 7:49 am

Whilst having my radiation, another patient told me about  BOOM cosmetics and I am in love. Chemical free, organic and minimalist, everything that I needed. They are only available online but I have the Boom Trio, three sticks comprising 'on the go,' moisturiser, a universal colour stick (for cheeks, lips and eyes), and a sort of highlighter. So ease to use, and I have had so many compliments, they don't look or feel like makeup, they just make you look healthy. I also got two of their tub moisturisers that are also wonderful. I am so pleased with these that I have dumped or given away all my other make-up except my mascara. They are not sold in stores but the website is boombycindyjoseph.com. Sorry, I just realised that I sound like an advert, but I am just so thrilled with these products I want to share. 
Jane

Posted by Hocklem on Apr 15, 2019 5:14 pm

Thanks for sharing. I have just started wondering the same thing. Glad to here about BOOM I have seen this line and wondered about. I started using a product called glory oil by eco tan. Honestly 7 rounds of chemo and my skin has never looked better.  Does anyone have any favourite sunscreen and deodorant/antiperspirant recommendations? 

Posted by ACH2015 on Apr 21, 2019 10:44 am

Hi Runner Girl‍ and everyone else in this thread.

I saw this article in today's Toronto Star - Health and Wellness section.  Its titled:

Do you know what potential dangers are lurking in your makeup bag?

Here's a quote from the article and the documentary film:

That was the genesis of Ellis’ new film, Toxic Beauty, which premieres at Hot Docs Ted Rogers Cinema on Bloor St. on April 28. Using talc as a jumping off point, it raises concerns over chemicals in other common cosmetics (hand lotion, nail polish, face paint etc ...), as well as some really important questions about government regulation, arbitrary standards of beauty and worker’s rights. It’s powerful, alarming and will almost certainly send at least a few people straight to their bathrooms to dump the contents of their makeup bags.

https://www.thestar.com/life/health_wellness/2019/04/21/do-you-know-what-potential-dangers-are-lurking-in-your-makeup-bag.html

I thought this certainly worth sharing in the greater spectrum.

Like we always say here "knowledge is power"

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.

Posted by Runner Girl on Apr 21, 2019 11:34 am

Thank you for sharing that ACH2015‍ .

I find it so hard to believe that talc has not been banned.  Fortunately the make up I recently purchased is not only paraben free it is also talc free.  

We really need to be more aware of the products we are using and what they contain and can do to us.

Posted by Essjay on Apr 22, 2019 8:30 am

Hi Runner Girl‍ What brand of makeup did you go with in the end?

Posted by Runner Girl on Apr 22, 2019 9:27 am

Essjay:
Hi Runner Girl‍ What brand of makeup did you go with in the end?

Hi, Essjay‍ ,
I went with IT Cosmetics.  I found them at Sephora, and purchased a moisturizer and CC cream - both are awesome, but quite pricy.  I've since signed up on the IT Cosmetics website and placed/received an order with 2 talc free 3 color eyeshadows, 2 paraben free eyeliners, a lip gloss/stain and a few samples they has as options.  Much cheaper to buy directly from them and I received it within a few days.  I have to say I love the eyeshadow.  It goes on so smoothly and lasts.  The waterproof eyeliners are also fantastic, I got black and navy.  Very happy with the products!

Posted by WarriorWoman on Apr 30, 2019 10:37 pm

Thanks for the tip on eyeliners and eye shadows. 

I use foundation and powder from www.lawsofnaturecosmetics.com and lipsticks from www.pnkdigger.com 

The girl from Laws of Nature actually started making make up for her mom when she was diagnosed with cancer, so she has a real connection to the purpose behind making healthy, organic, vegan, talc-free, paraben-free makeup. 

The shades from Pnk Digger are unreal, sooooo beautiful. 

Posted by Buffythevampire on May 5, 2019 2:04 pm

I am not much of a makeup wearer so I am not concerned about those products. I never really thought of looking at the label until recently. I was more concerned about what was going into my body (food) instead of on my body. Rethinking thing now.
Dielle‍ I downloaded the "think dirty" app onto my phone. The first item I scanned came back as "not rated", the second item was 5/10. Looks like more label reading in my future.
Since posting this I learned of a website called "skincarisma.com" . Not sure if there's an app. 

Posted by Dolphin on May 5, 2019 9:42 pm

Hi Runner Girl,

Thanks for this thread and for all the support you offer here.
Wondering if you have heard of i a chain of stores called Detox Market that only offer "clean" chemical free and some organic  beauty/ bpdy products- make up, skin care , hair and more....
Also an online company called Clemintine Fields who also sell only healthy face and body products. A lot of wonderful products, reviews, and samples to try and explore, and also points /rewards to boot.....There is no going back for me. I put a couple of links here to check them out.....
Dolphin

https://www.thedetoxmarket.ca/collections/skincare
https://www.clementinefields.ca/

Posted by Kay.C on May 6, 2019 12:18 pm

Absolutely another reason why I love this community!!!  
I love how easily you are all share, these are great suggestions.  One of the ladies mentioned Whole Foods, they are a great store to get suggestions because they have high standards for what they allow in their stores an most have testers.  
Skindeep and healthy living are both great apps to use when looking for new products. 
I have used many natural deodorants but they all cause irritation or don't work as well as I would like. Hocklem‍  if you are looking for a natural deodorant try making your own, it's so simple, believe it or not I purchased Greygoose vodka because my pitts deserve the best, lol. High proof alcohol used as a deodorant spray is antiseptic, kills bacteria under the arms that is responsible for body odor. I put it into a 30ml glass spray bottle and add 10 drops of essential oils ( I get mine from young living) , tea tree, sage, peppermint, and lemongrass essential oils are great for killing bacteria...but you should always check with your doctor to see if there are any contraindications with your meds.

KayC

Posted by Hocklem on May 6, 2019 7:33 pm

Thanks for this Kay.C

Posted by Cynthia Mac on May 7, 2019 9:45 am

Kay.C‍ , I love your post. Theatre costume departments use vodka in a spray bottle to deodorize costumes between cleanings - if they cleaned them every night, the costumes would be in tatters, often before the end of the play’s run. 

I have a cat, so I’m a bit leery of using tea tree oil, but peppermint or lemongrass would make sense! (Or is that scents?)