Makeup and Skin Care Products after Cancer

Makeup and Skin Care Products after Cancer

Posted by Runner Girl on Feb 12, 2019 10:55 am

Good Morning,

I've started researching natural / organic makeup and skin care products.  I wondered if anyone has changed their skin care and makeup products following cancer to avoid all of the parabens, toxins, etc. that are used so extensively.  If you have, do you have any product recommendations?

Re: Makeup and Skin Care Products after Cancer

Posted by Essjay on Feb 12, 2019 9:42 pm

My favourite source of natural and organic products is www.well.ca. I use Green Beaver moisturizer, lip balm and sunscreen, but I’ve not made the switch re makeup products, and I’m interested in what others recommend.

Posted by princessmaura on Feb 13, 2019 11:42 am

I have changed my skin care products and shampoo after my cancer diagnosis...I like to use John Masters organic skin cleanser and Andalou shampoo which has organic ingredients in it...when my current hair conditioner runs out, I will buy Andalou hair conditioner to go with the Andalou shampoo...

Posted by Jlo on Feb 14, 2019 8:16 pm

Hi Runner Girl:

I use a shampoo called Live Clean which is very gentle. I started to use it through treatment.  There is a cosmetic line called Sweet Leilani which was designed for cancer patients in Vancouver.   You could check out their website at sweet leilani.com.  if you have a Pharmasave store near you, go in and talk to their cosmetician, otherwise Shoppers Drug Mart.  They may have some suggestions.  I have also been able to find a variety of products at my local health food stores that are non toxic.  I am slowly dumping all my toxic products, it just takes time.  Some products that say they are natural, are not so I have my list with me of all these toxic ingredients on my phone along with my magnifying glass to read the fine print.  Best of luck.  JLo. (Joan)

Posted by Dielle on Feb 15, 2019 12:22 pm

Before going for radiation I was given a list of recommended moisturizers and ingredients to avoid.  I ended up buying Hugo All Over Lotion from Whole Foods.  I've also started trying natural shampoos and conditioners.  Right now I have some from Avalon Organics.  

I went to a seminar on making your own home and beauty products and came home with a coffee/chocolate scrub that worked beautifully (but made a big mess in the bathtub).  I also learned how to make a cleaning spray by soaking citrus peels in vinegar.  Some time I want to explore more about making my own products.

There is an app called Think Dirty that you can get on your phone.  You scan the barcode of the product you're considering and it will rate how "clean" it is and explain why.  It doesn't have all the Canadian versions of products but if you search by brand name you can often find the same type of product.

Share with your friends: