Life after Cancer Treatment.

Life after Cancer Treatment.

Posted by ACH2015 on Feb 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Sometimes many of the answers we seek are right here - on the Canadian Cancer Society website.

The link below is an excellent multi faceted guide to use in helping take the next steps including The New Normal, Your Feelings After Cancer, Healthy Living, Follow Up Care, Dealing With Side Effects, Dealing with Everyday Issues and more. 

http://www.cancer.ca/~/media/cancer.ca/CW/publications/Life%20after%20cancer%20treatment/32060-1-NO.pdf

My printed copy is well worn, dog eared and full of notes from constant refreshing and reviewing the many tips and resources contained within.

Keep well

ACH2015 - Andy.

Re: Life after Cancer Treatment.

Posted by Runner Girl on Feb 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Thank you,  ACH2015

Exactly what I've been needing.  I've downloaded a copy and look forward to reading.

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Feb 16, 2019 2:25 am

I have this book, wish I would have read it more after my treatments ended.  It might have helped me make a better decision about returning to work instead of retiring.  I feel so lost and alone now without my workmates and my job.  I'm trying a volunteer job but I keep thinking about my job and wishing I had put in one more year at least.  Stupid me.

Posted by princessmaura on Feb 16, 2019 6:05 am

scaredysquirrel‍, if you had gone back to work as you are wishing you had, you would have had to deal with commuting back and forth to work during a very cold, snowy winter...there would be much hardship, as you could feel fatigued and it could be overwhelming having to cope with that as well as the cold weather...we have not had that much snow for awhile...

Posted by SpeedyStill on Feb 17, 2019 7:11 pm

Downloaded the publication.  It is information that anyone dealing with cancer should read.  I like the way they add personal quotes from people. You can feel the emotions that they add to the situation.   I know that I can relate to most of what's said.
Always SpeedyStill 

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Feb 18, 2019 2:32 am

princessmaura‍  thanks, yes we had a lot of snow here, but all the schools including my University where I worked closed down for two snow days - which is rare - so it would not have been all that bad.  Anyway it's water under the bridge now.  Lamenting is not doing me any good.  I'm trying to move forward but each day is a challenge.  I feel so lost without my purpose - my job- and lonely without my workmates.  Life is pretty dull these days.  The few people I meet now are just at random and I've lost touch with my family and friends.  The volunteer gig may help somewhat to get me out of the house, but it's strange and I think about my job and what it meant to me all these years.  I haven't given up on the Douglas College on call position.  I'm still going to try and apply again.  I don't know if "lightning will strike twice" on that one, but it's worth a shot.  I'm re reading a book Power of Positive Thinking and it says not to give up.  I hope I can keep going forward.  I miss my job.

Posted by princessmaura on Feb 18, 2019 3:11 pm

scaredysquirrel‍, you are welcome...I'm sorry to hear that each day is a challenge for you...I feel bad that you have lost touch with your family and friends...I hope that you get that on call position at Douglas College...as for books, I continue to read them and have recently read that book called 'Picking up the Pieces  moving forward after surviving cancer'...have you read that book, yet?

Posted by Enelya25 on Mar 10, 2019 10:50 pm

Andy,
Thank you for the suggestion on the booklet Life after cancer treatment. I just picked up a booklet last week and wish that I had been given it 8 months ago. So much of what it says is relevant to the way I am feeling, and it made me realize that this is "normal" to feel this way. I have underlined several pages and have already re read several chapters. It is an excellent CCS resource.
Thanks, Enelya

Share with your friends: