almost a year since lumpectomy 3 months ago new lump of some kind Worried

almost a year since lumpectomy 3 months ago new lump of some kind Worried

Posted by Princesta on Feb 1, 2019 3:36 pm

I have had a lump for maybe 3 months now and it has gotten a little bigger too. I find it hard but my last check up a month ago my doctor felt it was just something to keep an eye on . I demanded another test . I went for an ultrasound a week ago and the results should be back soon. This new lump is up higher than the previous cancer and is about the same size as the cancer they took out. I also had the LCIS . I'm just worried that the ultra sound wont pick it up and they did only part of my breast which is kinda weird. I really hate lumps when you can feel them. I think this is worst on me than having the cancer itself the first time. I have been so exhausted too. There is cancer in my family , my dad liver,, me breast, and my daughter early cervical. Needless to say its very scarey. 

Re: almost a year since lumpectomy 3 months ago new lump of some kind Worried

Posted by ashcon on Feb 3, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi Princesta‍ 

Just checking in. You sound very worried and I am concerned with your comment that this is worse on you than having cancer the first time, and that you are so exhausted.  This level of fear can be quite draining, and - ironically enough - it is rest and a good night's sleep that our bodies need to fight any threat of cancer.

Fear of recurrence is not uncommon, and is actually very common within the first year of finishing treatment.  Truth be told, you won't really be satisfied until whatever tests that are done confirm 100% that your cancer has not returned.  Or confirm that it has returned, and what the doctor(s) are going to do about it. 
So you have done the right thing to request and receive an ultrasound.
I am coming up to one year since finishing treatment for my Stage 3 triple negative invasive ductal carcinoma and I am guilty of feeling like every little ache and pain is the cancer coming back.

You may find some helpful tips in these links (I know I did!)  Don't let these fears prevent you and your body from healing. There is no shame in seeking out professional help - perhaps book an appointment with your hospital's social worker to talk through these fears.  The professionals are very skilled and experienced, especially on this topic.

Have you received the results of your ultrasound yet?  Let us know and keep us posted.

Posted by Kims1961 on Feb 3, 2019 5:40 pm

Princesta‍  Thank you for the update and sorry you have this worry.  ashcon‍ has provided you with some excellent advice and resources.

Hopefully the ultrasound results will provide some helpful information.  If they don't find anything - maybe worth discussing with your doctor again just to be sure.

The waiting for results can be so difficult.  Is there something that you enjoy doing that can be a good distractor?  Hobby? Reading? Exercise?  Even cleaning out a junk drawer or closet - something to give yourself a "mindful" break?  

Keep us posted on how you're doing.  Kim

Posted by Princesta on Feb 4, 2019 4:10 pm

Thank you for the information . I did some reading last night and will do some more . I went for a walk today on this beauty of a day. I will post how I make out when I get my results too. Hopefully benign although it has gotten bigger. praying for good results. I also made some homade body lotion to keep my mind at bay.I'm hanging in. 

Posted by Princesta on Feb 9, 2019 8:45 am

Well I have the results . The Ultrasound did not pick up this lump and I have no idea why.We , my husband and I  can feel it and its the size of a pencil eraser on the end of a pencil. I personally dont think she went over far enough where the lump was. she did like two passes in a straight line. Why wouldn't you do the whole breast? So I'm left to go on with life wondering if this is benign.Is it normal for a Ultra Sound to miss lumps? I think I worry so much cause my dad died of liver cancer at retirement, my gramma was only 50 and died from lymph node cancer, and my daughter has early cervical cancer at 25. So I have a reason to be worried.  My next full mammo is in June sometime . I hope the Mammogram will pick this up and my mind will eventually be put at ease. 

Posted by Cynthia Mac on Feb 10, 2019 8:23 am

Princesta‍ , as Kims1961‍  suggested, you can go back to your own doctor and have a conversation about the ultrasound. He should have received the results, even if another doctor ordered the test.

If I can help you, I have some experience with cervical issues that I went through in my mid-late 20s, and would be happy to share information with you.

Posted by Kims1961 on Feb 10, 2019 11:19 am

Princesta‍ ...Thank you for the update.  I so appreciate the difficulty these "in between" areas cause.  

It's good news that you have a mammogram in June.  Could that be moved up if you're still worried?  Keeping an eye on it for any changes - soreness, size will be helpful but you also don't want it to take over "living" these next few months.  Is your family doctor of any help?  Are you on any medications?  It's ok to be persistent with our doctors - its your health.  If you can feel it - do you think the doctor could also feel it?  My mother who had numerous "cysts" in her breasts - could feel them but none were cancerous, but certainly anxiety provoking.

Glad you are doing some walking .  Keep us posted on how you're doing.

Kim

Posted by Princesta on Apr 15, 2019 7:28 pm

I had my mamagram , and  ultrasound and I just got the results back . They are now going to do a core biopsy  to take some samples to make sure there is no cancer.  Hopefully everything will be ok and it will put my mind at ease. 

Share with your friends: