Volunteer Job a Success, so far

Volunteer Job a Success, so far

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 28, 2019 10:52 pm

Well, I went to my first volunteer shift today.  It turned out okay.  I did really well, better than I anticipated.  Although I will always miss by bookstore routine and my friends it's good to know my brain is still working after all that chemo and radiation and depression hit me after my treatments.  I think it was the after treatment depression that caused me so much confusion.  The gift store is tiny, and alas no textbooks or students, but most of the gift items and candy and pop sales are the same.  I was thankful for my years of doing bank deposits and cash summaries because this will be my responsibility on the afternoon shift.  The lady who trained me was impressed how quick I learned everything.  The register is dead easy.  Not a POS computer like I'm used to.  I will always wonder why I rushed myself into retirement when I'm sure another year of work would have done me good.  Anyway, I'm still going to hope that I can get on at Douglas College by the summer.  It's weird to go to work after 2 years, but I'm thankful I'm able to handle it.  My husband is thankful that I'm finding things to do.  

Re: Volunteer Job a Success, so far

Posted by MedieaVal on Jan 29, 2019 9:33 am

I was just thinking about you yesterday! It sounds like the volunteer position is a success and that you will be of great benefit to them! I'm so happy for you! Keep us posted! 

Posted by thecatsmeow on Jan 29, 2019 9:50 am

scaredysquirrel,
I am glad to hear you doing well. I felt really foggy and overwhelmed after my treatment. I hope you continue to do well. (I think you be great!)

Posted by Lacey_adminCCS on Jan 29, 2019 10:28 am

scaredysquirrel‍ 

Another great step forward!! 

Be proud of yourself for trying something new.

Lacey

Posted by Dielle on Jan 30, 2019 7:27 pm

scaredysquirrel‍ Yayyy!  I am so happy your first day went well.  Thanks for letting us know.  I hope you continue to enjoy it. 

Debbie

Posted by princessmaura on Jan 31, 2019 5:32 am

scaredysquirrel‍, I volunteered in a hospital gift shop and also in a thrift store...also, I volunteered in a restaurant, making and serving food...I volunteered also at victim services which was held at the police station...I volunteered for six months at a place called a loving spoonful that gave out free meals to people with HIV...over the years, I have put in many hours of community service...it's a way to give back to your community and to meet new people and learn new skills...I have volunteered in many more places that I have not mentioned...I have a long history of community volunteer work...

Posted by LPPK on Jan 31, 2019 8:46 am

scaredysquirrel‍ that is so great to hear. Being able to use your 'money' talents in your volunteer position helps everyone, you and the hospital gift shop.
Getting out of the house, talking with a variety of customers and using your skills, it can't get any better than that.

Posted by scaredysquirrel on Jan 31, 2019 9:45 pm

Thanks gang, I'm invited to a Volunteer general meeting at the Hospital next Tuesday.  It looks like there's a lot of volunteers on the list, so I will be in good company.  I'm thinking of going, but not sure yet.  My next shift is this coming Monday afternoon.  I went skating today, short session as I only got 15 min because I was late.  My hubby chased me out the door.  I wouldn't be doing much if it wasn't for him.  He makes me get up and get with the program!  I'm going out to my old job at Richmond tomorrow to have lunch with my former coworker.  I hope it won't make me feel bad like it did last time to see my old digs.  Moving forward is a painful process, and I thought chemo and radiation were tough, I think adjusting to retirement is as tough - at least for me.  I will miss my KPU bookstore job for a long time to come, didn't know what it meant to me until now.  Thanks again for the encouragement.

Share with your friends: